cant find date of naturalization for grandparents

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

cant find date of naturalization for grandparents

Post by sigel7 »

Any help would be wonderful!!!! My grandfather arrived 1st time in 1923 then again in 1931(this time married). His name is Carlo Calderoni, born 1902. I know he wasnt a citizen before the second trip, the ship manifest states he was an italian citizen. But I cant find info on when he became a citizen. He was living in San Bruno CA. My father was born in 1942 and I would like to see if my grandfather was a us citizen by then or not. My grandmother came over in 1938, I know she couldnt have been yet, the 5 year rule, but Italians didnt recognize the matriarchal line until 1948, too late for me. If anyone knows how I can find out the date my grandpa became a us citizen, that would be great.

Thank you,

Catherine
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: cant find date of naturalization for grandparents

Post by PeterTimber »

The San Meteo county court house would be the logical place since San Bruno would be under its jurisdiction and may have the citizenship recordsyou are seeking. Please keep us posted. =Peter=
~Peter~
sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sigel7 »

Thank you. Do you know if there is a particular form letter that is required?

Thank you,

Catherine
Looking for Calderoni
federici1999
Rookie
Rookie

Post by federici1999 »

Hi Catherine,
I found Calderone not as Carlo but as Charles. He was in San Bruno Ca. for the 1930 Census. He was a renter at the home of Paul and Marie Gobbe. He came to the country in 1924 from Italy and shows his parents also resided in Italy. At the time of the census he was 28 years old single and working at a meat plant as a butcher. In the line naturalized they had the the abbreviation AD Im not sure what that means. I'll see what else I can come up with
Thanks Bob

Looking for Federici and Cavalli from Bedonia
federici1999
Rookie
Rookie

Post by federici1999 »

Catherine
Also found death records for Carlo born August 9 1902 died August 1987 in California and Anna born dec. 16th 1902 died March 1986 living in San Bruno
Thanks Bob

sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sigel7 »

Wow, thank you. Many things fit. He would have been 28 at the time, and he was butcher, but his mother, Maria Calderoni stayed in Lodrino Switzerland and his father Luigi Calderoni was in California. I know that Luigi died at somepoint, hit by a car. It doesnt help when my Great grandfather, great uncle and my father are all Luigi Calderoni's. Not a real creative bunch, my family.

Thanks,

Catherine
Looking for Calderoni
sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sigel7 »

Thanks Bob. Sadly, I was around to attend funerals in the 1980s. My great Uncle Luigi Calderoni died in 1983 too. My teenage years were quite sad for me.

Catherine
Looking for Calderoni
federici1999
Rookie
Rookie

Post by federici1999 »

Ok heres some more info. Came into New York From Cherbourg France on the ship Berengaria on May 28th 1931. Born Lodrino Italy Visa permit # 665033 Issued 19/11/30
Thanks Bob

sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sigel7 »

Bob, you are great. I found a list of the codes used on the census for citizenship : The terms "Na" were used for naturalized, "Pa" for first papers, "Un" for unknown and "Al" for Alien. Column 24 asked if the person was able to speak English. Would one of those be what you saw?

Catherine
Looking for Calderoni
federici1999
Rookie
Rookie

Post by federici1999 »

Ok Catherine it must be "al" I definitely saw the PA and Na but I mistook it for AD. Im still looking for some petition or record about the naturalization. I saw when your grandmother came from Switzerland. I'll keep looking
Thanks Bob

sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sigel7 »

Hey Bob, my grandmother, anna, also had her father (she was an only child and her mother died early) Bartolomeo Morandi come over, but I have been unable to find any records on him. If you get a second, would you mind seeing what you can find? I would be in your debt.

Catherine
Looking for Calderoni