frank sainato born 1891 reggio calabria

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kidalot

frank sainato born 1891 reggio calabria

Post by kidalot »

reading my grandfather's obituary i see he was born 2/4/1891 in reggio calabria to luigi and carmella augostino sainato. the obit said he left 4 sisters and 3 brothers behind in italy. a sister, philomena, and a brother, sam, came to the US. i didn't know about the 4 sisters and 3 brothers left behind in italy! i don't know their names. do i have a chance in finding out who they are???
thanks.
zona-tortoriello-sainato-genova
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: frank sainato born 1891 reggio calabria

Post by wldspirit »

If you send for a stato di famiglia originario,(original state of the family) also called the stato di famiglia storico (historical state of the family) certificate.
It documents not those present in a household at a given time but all members of the family past and present, including those who moved away or died.
Therefore, for genealogist, the stato di famiglia originario certificate is a valuable source for documenting an entire family.

Quoted from the book by Trafford R. Cole, Italian Genealogical Records

You must know the exact town of birth.

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

On the off chance you cannot write in Itaklian you can go to the following site http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

This will familiarize you withthe process of obtaioning the records Wildspirit furnished you as well as other vital information. By the way the service in Italy is free of charge!=Peter=
~Peter~
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Where exactly in Reggio Calabria were your relatives from? Reggio is both a province and a city. The surname is popular in many of the Comuni in Reggio. Do you have Filomena's or Salvatore's ship manifest as well your grandfather's?

While looking through the manifest I think I found your Francesco's and it states the father as Luigi and the place of birth as Grotteria. Let me know if this is him. If it is, then the mother would be Carmela Agostino. I am especially interested in her because I just found out that my great great grandfather may have been from Grotteria and that his mother was Rosa Agostino so it may help me as well.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 010808.TIF

I also happen to have some films on permanent loan at the FHC for the various comuni in Reggio and I can check the indici for Grotteria for 1889, 1888 and perhaps a few others to see if there are any children born to Luigi and Carmela in those years.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
kidalot

Post by kidalot »

yes, that is my grandfather. he came to syracuse ny when he first came to the states. from what i am finding the town is grotteria. i located that by finding his brother salvatore. his sister filomena was born in 1893 in grotteria and i think i found her on the manifest but the town's name is gioisa. the age is right and the destination is right - but i can't read the rest. the more i dig, the more exciting this gets!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Actually there are two pages to Filomena's manifest. On the first page it shows her last residence in Reggio which is Gessopalena (Abruzzo region ?)But it says she is left her mother, Vittoria Pellicciotta. there..., and on the second page, last column it shows where she was born, which is Grotteria.
She is going to Elwood PA with 15 dollars and she paid for the trip herself. She is going to see her cousin Saverio.

Interesting manifest...not sure what to make of it though.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 070198.TIF
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
kidalot

Post by kidalot »

i figured the listing is my great aunt. she did live in ellwood where i knew her. if you look at that manifest there is a criss-cross to another person's listing. i don't know who the first one is; my great grandmother was not vittoria. i figured that part was the mix up with the other person (mariani).

i looked at the dna project website. i would love to do that but the cost right now is prohibitive.
my mother tells me that my great grandfather luigi sainato was married two times. mother does not know anything about the other wife or the half siblings. the siblings referenced in my original post are whole siblings being children of luigi and carmela. mother tells me that luigi had 9 or 10 children to carmela and also 9 children to his other wife.
kidalot

Post by kidalot »

nuccia - it would be wonderful if you could find any other children of luigi sainato and carmela agostino in grotteria. i am still at a dead end going any further in my search. i've checked all the italian websites as well as any ancestry website. i see agostinos listed but never a carmela. thank you for your help.