POWs in Lincolnshire, UK

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
andreaqu

POWs in Lincolnshire, UK

Post by andreaqu »

I am researching my family history and am trying to locate details of Italian Prisoners of War at either Pingley Farm Camp, Bigby, Brigg, Lincolnshire, UK or Castlethorpe Farm Hall Camp, Brigg, Lincolnshire, UK during WWII.
Does anyone have any memories- firsthand or from relatives of being at either camp?

thanks
Andrea
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: POWs in Lincolnshire, UK

Post by PeterTimber »

=Andrea can you get more personal with us so that we can assist you in your research objectives? =Peter=
~Peter~
andreaqu

Post by andreaqu »

my grandfather was an Italian POW, housed at the satellite camp in Low Santon, Lincolnshire,UK. The administrative camp for Low Santon would have been either Pingley Farm camp,Bigby, Brigg, Lincolnshire or Castlethorpe Hall CAmp, Brigg, Lincolnshire, UK. My mother was born in April 1946. We do not know her father's name and her mother (my grandmother), Edna May Brailsford died many years ago and i never had the opportunity to ask. Im posting this message in the hope that someone may have information - however small.

Thanks

Andrea
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

Hi,
Pingley Farm Camp was POW Camp # 81

81 Pingley Farm Camp, Bigby High Road, Brigg, Lincolnshire - standard type
Italian then German POWs. Originally designed to house 750 prisoners. The camp consisted of 35 prisoners' huts (25 accommodation / ablutions, cookhouse, workshops) and 15 guards' huts, recreation ground and garden plots. There were no guard towers; the prisoners being regarded as 'low risk'. 1,862 POWs held in 1946 with overflow accommodated in tents and local housing/farms. Became an agricultural hostel in 1949.

Here is another description and photo
Pingley Camp

Castlethorpe Hall Camp was #148. I don't have any description for this camp.

The link here below lists POW camps in England, Wales and Scotland.
Pow Camps in UK

You also can try and post a message in their forum

>HERE<

Unfortunately there are NO lists of Italian Pows. At the end of the war British Authorities sent all documents concerning Italian Pows to the International Red Cross in Geneva. All records sent to Italy were dispersed throughtout the various military districts. The IRC is then the only organisation able to give details on where a POW was kept. To do so you need to know at list the name of the person as there were some hundred thousand Italian Pows in British hands.

I saw you posted a message on "online-archeology" forum too. Sorry not to be able to help more.

Ada
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Andrea to obtain any personnel files for ALL former Italian POW's p[lease write to: Ten,. Col. Fasullo, Ministero Dellla Difesa, Via Mattia Battistini 113, 7imo piano, 00167 ROMA, ITALY =Peter=
~Peter~
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

Peter,
I've been after my father war history for about two years before I could have all details. He was a POW in British hands in South Africa and then in Wales. I found every information but not thanks to the Ministero della Difesa in Italy. They don't have any list. And anyway the poster does not even have a name, so.....

Ada
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

.....at that address I gave her addressed to Ten Col Fasullo????? Did you ever write to that office or call them onthe telephone to find out if this informationis incorrect or is this just your opinion? =Peter=
~Peter~
andreaqu

Post by andreaqu »

Ada

thank you for the information. As Peter says- have you contacted the Ministero de Difesa in Italy at the address he supplied? Where did you eventually obtain your information re your father?

Andrea
andreaqu

Post by andreaqu »

Peter

Thank you for the address. Have you ever obtained any information from this office? Do you know if the National Archives hold any lists of Italian POWs? i have yet to contact them.

thanks

Andrea
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I do not have to because the source of my information is very reliable and sooner or later someone will advise of their experiences so we can at time judge about the qualtiy of the referral. =Peter=
~Peter~
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

I did a quick look at what the National Archives 'may' hold on this question. This is the >National Archives Home Page<.

I did a search on this:
British POW Camp No. 81 , Date from: 1939, Date to: 1945 which 'uantiti - aka Ada' says is the Pingly Farm Camp....

I also searched on Italian POW's in Britain 1939-1945.

On both searches there is quite a lot of information. But don't ask me what it is - or how to access it.... The NA files are an absolute minefield and when I wanted a soldiers service record that I KNEW was there (somewhere :roll: ) I resorted in the end to one of the experts who are willing to do searches on the spot. Mine took half a day and provided me with a cd of all the details and documents - all for £38. But each seem to have their own speciality. But it might be worth doing a search for one who deals with POWS etc.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
andreaqu

Post by andreaqu »

thank you- icontacted the national archives and they seem to think it extremely unlikely that there are any lists of names as everything relating to Italian POWs was sent elsewhere. i have drafted a letter to the ministero della difesa, however, am unsure as to whether i should give the reason why i am looking. might they be reluctant to give the info if it relates to children born during the war etc.?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I stated previosuly in a companion inquiry concering POWs that rthe only remaining information for Italian POWs in our national Archives (NARA) are ione line entries in a roster list from March 31,1945. To obtain personnnel files dfor formeer Italian POWs, you can write to Ten Col. Fasullo, Ministero delle Difesa, Via Marttisa Mattistini 113, 7 th piano, 00167 Roma, Italy.

Your reasons are yours...Personal family reasons. I do not understand why you are projecting your questionable concerns upon the Ministero Della Difesa and that of Ten Col. Fasullo and why would think that they would be conspiring with somebody or something because the nature of your inquiry relates to a subject that you deem to be ????whatever word fits. =Pete=
~Peter~
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

PeterTimber wrote:... Ten,. Col. Fasullo, Ministero Dellla Difesa, Via Mattia Battistini 113, 7imo piano, 00167 ROMA, ITALY =Peter=
PeterTimber wrote:...Ten Col. Fasullo, Ministero delle Difesa, Via Marttisa Mattistini 113, 7 th piano, 00167 Roma, Italy.
Which is the correct address?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

either way.
~Peter~