Records leaving United States going back to Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Jaynah

Records leaving United States going back to Italy

Post by Jaynah »

Ciao, this is my first post, if it is in the wrong forum, forgive me.

I found ship's manifest lists for my grandfather arriving via Ellis Island in 1902, 1905 and for good in 1909.

How does one find departure lists leaving the U.S. or arrival lists in Italy?

Thanks!

Jaynah
sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Records leaving United States going back to Italy

Post by sigel7 »

As far as I can find, there is no records of folks leaving the US only coming in. My Grandfather came twice himself. If you havent looked over the records closely yet, you may find some interesting info that change each time he comes over. For instance, The second time my GF came over he has a permanent visa permit and he was no longer single.

Good Luck,

Catherine
Looking for Calderoni
Jaynah

Post by Jaynah »

Sigel7, Thanks for the quick response.

If I find any information on aliens departing the U.S. to go back to their origin country, I will post to you.

Jaynah
"...something of an extraordinary nature will turn up" -- Mr Micawber Dickens' David Copperfield
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

These might be of some use
Ancestry has these files for people travelling to the UK and elsewhere.
elba
Search > Immigration > UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960

Of course you need to be a member or get someone to do a 'look-up' for you

Ancestry also have this database which inclues 'other countries'- explained here (N.B. As it says - this is NOT only a Jewish list...)

U.S. Consular Posts, Emergency Passport Applications, 1915-1926

Source Information:

About U.S. Consular Posts, Emergency Passport Applications, 1915-1926
This database consists of an index to Jewish names among the applications for Emergency Passports made at various U.S. Consular Posts in the period of 1915-1926. Information listed in this database includes: name, birthplace, country where application was made, box and book numbers, page and application numbers.

This database consists of an index to Jewish names among[/u] the applications for Emergency Passports made at various U.S. Consular Posts in the period of 1915-1926.

Historical Background:

Although passports were not required for U.S. citizens who were returning home from travel abroad until 1918, after U.S. entry into World War I, passports were useful as a means of identification and protection while traveling outside the U.S. Congress authorized U.S. consular posts to issue Emergency Passports which were, generally, issued if the passport of a U.S. citizen traveling abroad, was lost or stolen. However, this type of passport came to have special, and, perhaps, Congressionally unintended significance for the wives and children of naturalized citizens who had not yet joined their husbands and fathers in the United States.

Prior to September 1922, women could not become U.S. citizens in their own right, with some special exceptions, usually requiring Congressional intervention. However, foreign-born women and children automatically became citizens when they married a native-born U.S. citizen or when he became a naturalized citizen. Minor children of these native born or naturalized fathers also received derived citizenship.

Because these wives and minor children of a U.S. citizen had derivative citizenship, they could present themselves at the nearest U.S. Consular Post and apply for an Emergency Passport for themselves and their minor children.

About the Database:

Here is a description of fields in the Emergency Passport Applications database:

* Surname, Given Name — Last name and first name(s) of the individual whose name appears in the original document

* Birthplace — Place of birth (town and country)

* Country — Country where application was made

If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
Jaynah

Post by Jaynah »

Elba,

Thank you for your detailed response, I tried that yesterday -- brick wall.

Jaynah
"...something of an extraordinary nature will turn up" -- Mr Micawber Dickens' David Copperfield
Jaynah

Post by Jaynah »

Elba,

Thank you for your detailed response, I tried that yesterday -- brick wall.

Jaynah
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Jaynah you can send a letter to the Uffico Anagrafe (registry office ) in the town of destination in Italy (usually his/her town of origin) and ask if the person being sought has returned to reside int eh town giving dates of departure from that town for immigration purposes and possible return to the town. Write in Italian using the form letter(s) found in
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html =Peter=
~Peter~
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

In order to qualify for government services, even today you have to register the town of your residence. This is also where you vote and will receive medical care.
Italians even today need to have an identity card from their town of residence. If your Grandfather returned to Italy in or after 1909 he would have been registered in the town. Probably even died there. When a person dies in a town other than the birthplace the death certificate records the town of birth. This information is often sent to the town of birth to be recorded on the birth certificate. So why not request the birth (and death certificate) from the town of birth.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Jaynah

Post by Jaynah »

My grandfather came to America, stayed here, married, had eight children, died here.

I was interested in know what years he went back to Italy.
He came here in 1902, 1905 and for good in 1909. Wanted to know what years he went back to Italy (in the 1902-1909 period)

Sorry for the double post above.

Jaynah

Post by Jaynah »

My grandfather came to America, stayed here, married, had eight children, died here.

He came here in 1902, 1905 and for good in 1909. Wanted to know what years he went back to Italy (in the 1902-1909 period)

Sorry for the double post above.

elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

By jaynah: ".....My grandfather came to America, stayed here, married, had eight children, died here.

Can you possibly tell us what his name and date of birth were?
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
Jaynah

Post by Jaynah »

Elba, of course, thank you for your help!

Giuseppe Andinolfi, (sometimes found incorrectly in records as Antinolfi. Born Bellona, Italy September 24, 1886.

Jaynah
MarieJosephine
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MarieJosephine »

I guess you have tried the Ellis Island website? I researched my grandfather on it also, except there are so many of the same names it's hard to track which one is the one you are looking for. He came to the US in 1900's and then went back, then came again. Sometimes you can read the manifest and it will tell you where he was going to stay in the US. Like you, I can never find records of when he went back to italy.