Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
1915 arrival manifest for Adelaide Texel, Nicola's sister.....
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Idelaide Fexele
Name: Idelaide Fexele 8O
Arrival Date: 24 Sep 1915
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Port of Departure: Genoa,Ita
Ethnicity/RaceÂ/Nationality: Italian (North) (Italian)
Ship Name: Taormina
Search Ship Database: View the Taormina in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Nativity: Italy
Line: 27
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_2432
Birth Location: Italy Birth Location Other: cornio right spell: Torino
Page Number: 169
leaving in Italy, Torino her mother Celestina Texel (Tescel?)
joining her brother Nicola Texel, 226 West 27th street, NY same address of Angelina's manifest....
I have this record- and I saw the Celestina listed as her mother. On an origianl copy I have of Nicolo's birth certificate the mother's name is listed as Caterina. Could this be a discrepency due to the spellin gof the ship's officer ( I often find the last name of Texel spelled as Tecsel or Tescel) or should I look into a second marriage for Orso? I have a copy of Angelina and Nicolo's 1910 marriage in Wales. Bith parties list their father's as deceased. But I saw that on the ship manifest when Nicolo arrived in NY he said he was going to join his father Orso in Conneticut(?) His brother-in-law Ettore Forlini also listed the same destination. I think! The handwriting was very difficult to read and to tell which line it belonged.
... You're right... on the 1912 arrival manifest for Nicholas he states clearly he was going to join his father Orso in Durham Centre - Connecticut....
and that he was born in Torino....
Ettore Forlini was joining his sister Palmira Forlini - Durham Centre - CT
SO now which one is the truth? The wedding certificate or the ship manifest? I tend to lean towards the wedding as they were not in such a rush for the questioning and because at that time an immigrant had to have a relative or sponsor to come to this country, yes?
I did search for Orso on a ship manifest and did not find anything.
Naturalizations Eastern Disctrict: 1865/1957
Family Name Texel
Given Name Nicola Year Petition 1942 Volume Petition 1241 Number 344710
From Ancestry.com:
U.S. Naturalization Records Indexes, 1794-1995
about Nicola Texel
Name: Nicola Texel
Age: 59
Birth Date: abt 1885 Issue Date: 8 Feb 1944
State: New York
Locality, Court: Eastern District of New York, District Court
Title: Index to Naturalization Petitions of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York, 1865-1957
Description: Terlecki, Richard to Tomas, Susana
Series: M1164
Yes Thank you I did have those documents- I have made the most of my free 14 day trial of Ancestry
I seem to have a lot of info for Nicolo and Angelina, but nothing on their parents. I did write to try and get a birth record for Angelina.
My uncle is hoping that we will also be able to find what actually happened to Angelina's father, Ambrogio. The story of his murder has been told many times, but we have no place or time to document it.
During the mass emigration from Italy during the century between 1876 to 1976, the U.S. was the largest single recipient of Italian immigrants in the world. However, their impact was not as great as countries like Argentina and Brazil. That was due to the fact that hundreds of thousands of immigrant...