Immigration Records

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
tim340

Immigration Records

Post by tim340 »

I've been looking for my my grandmothers's (Marietta Rota) immigration records for some time now, and have not located them. She married my grandfather on 2 Oct 1913 in Denver, Colorado (from the marriage license and certificate). I have a copy of part of her Italian passport which was dated when she arrived in Naples when she was being processed...the date is 13 July 1913...the passport clearly says her destination is Denver Colorado. She had to have arrived sometime between those two dates. I'm hoping someone has an idea of where to go next. Here is what I've done so far:

Searched the Ellis Island database

Searched the missing manifests on "Searching the Ellis Island Database in One Step" I went frame by frame from June 1913 to September 1913

Searched the Immigrant Ships Transcriber's Guild for all 1913 arrivals.

Submitted a NATF Form 81 to the National Archives - answer was no record found.

Requested her naturalization paperwork from INS...did this about 8 months ago...no reply yet (the answer may be here, but just haven't received an answer)

Have I missed anything? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Immigration Records

Post by ptimber »

Did you try reversing the names? Also Rota and Rosa are too close for comfort so look for Rosa Marietta or Marietta Rosa. Sometimes when immigrants did not make the sailings, they just drew a line thru the manifest and sometimes when the immigrants were off loaded at ellis island and kept there for some adminsitrative reason and were delayed in entering both physically and in documentation, they were lined out and USUALLY would be added to the manifest of the next incoming ship. Perhaps if you run across a cancellation in her name then she may have just enetered normally but her name was not added to the next incoming ship manfiest. Also try sending a Form 81 to NARA but this time reverse the names. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

.....you should have gotten an answer from the naturalziaition people by this time. Send a follow up and mark it 2nd request!! Peter
tim340

Post by tim340 »

Thanks Peter, thats great advice...never thought of switching the names around....I've already followed up with INS...they haven't answered my second attempt. I plan on calling and raising hell soon. Thanks again.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Please keeep me posted on this. Peter