Seeking info on Curino, Piedmont

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
ProfessorCasperelli

Seeking info on Curino, Piedmont

Post by ProfessorCasperelli »

Greetings all,

My great great grandfather hailed from Curino and I am curious to know what the village is like?

Grazie
P.C.
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Re: Seeking info on Curino, Piedmont

Post by uantiti »

Hi,
I lived in Curino for the first 11 years of my life. It's a small village now in the province of Biella, it was under Vercelli befor 1992. I know many people emigrated from there. What kind of information you want?

Ada
ProfessorCasperelli

Hi Ada, thanks for the quick reply.

When I travelled to Italy a few years back I did not know that my family history could be traced to Curino.

I am planning another trip to Italy with a view to spending some time in the village. Could you perhaps suggest a decent place to stay as well as highlight what sights I ought to see.

Also, I am researching my great great grandfather's life as he was a notable pioneer in South Africa from the 1880s until 1920. Does Curino have an archive that could offer some info?

Thanks
P.C.
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

Hi again,
Curino has less than 500 inhabitants now, as I said many people left as the place didn't offer much. It's not exactly a town but it's divided in several hamlets which are scatterd around on the hills. The main one is called San Martino and there is also located the Town Hall where you can ask information. Just in front of it there is a church but every hamlet has a church. Do you know where exactly your parents were from?
About a place to stay, as I said it's a small place but I just talked to my mother who lives 25 kms far from there and she said there is a Bed&Breakfast. You could also choose to stay in a nearby town. I will see if there is something suitable around.
Also I think the LDS church microfilmed Birth, Marriages and Deaths.
Curino doesn't have an official website but here you can find some information

Curino

Ada
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

Something else that you may need to know is the name of the hamlets:

the main one is San Martino than there is Santa Maria, San Bonomio and San Nicolao. There are also some other smaller ones: Gabella, Gianadda, Valle, Losio, Bugellio, Livera, Bioletto, Vergnago. These smaller ones usually took the name from the people who lived there as they correspond to surnames in same cases.

Ada
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

On the link here below you will see some local bulletins that are published by a local association. The front page and also inside pages usually show old pictures of the place, If you click on them you can enlarge and also read. Part of it is written in French as many people emigrated to Switzerland and still have strong ties with Curino and like to know news also about people who emigrated to other countries around the world.

La Voce di Curino

Ada
ProfessorCasperelli

Thanks for all the info, it's wonderful stuff.

I'm not sure exactly which hamlet my great great gf was from as his Certificato di Nascita simply states Curino.

My surname is Ferraris and my ancestor's second name was Maria and his brother's name was Nicolao - not sure if that might mean anything based on the names of some of the hamlets?

I'm also looking for information on my great great gf's best friend, who has Bernardo Gianna. Any ideas where to start?

Grazie
P.C.
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

I remember the surname Gianna and I think I've heard also Ferraris but I left when I was very young. I will ask my mother, she remembers for sure. I'll let you know.

Ada
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

Hi,
I talked to my mother. As a matter of fact we knew a family whose surname was Gianna, one of them was responsible for the post office. I think they left the village too. I saw in the telephone directory there is a lady with that surname but we don't know her. If you are interested I can try and see if she's related but I need more details from you.
This village had about 2,500 inhabitants many years ago but little by little people emigrated to other towns in Italy and many went to Switzerland, USA, South America, Africa, etc. Now, as I said, the population is less than 500 people. Some of those emigrants still have a house there and come for holidays usually in summer. Also people from big towns, like Milan and Turin, like to go there to spend their free time. There is an association in Switzerland called Pro Curino which gives money to help this village.
There aren't people with the name Ferraris and my mother doesn't remember anybody with that name but this name exists in nearby towns. You mentioned a birth act , did you get it from the Town Hall? If it doesn't mention any address than it's just a short version, you should ask for a detailed version (Estratto per copia Integrale). On this document you might find his father's place of birth and see where you have to start your search. If you want to send the request I'll let you have the email address for the Town Hall. Let me know.
Your ancestor's second name (Maria) and his brother's name (Nicola) are not related to hamlets as these are common names.

Ada
ProfessorCasperelli

Hey again, thanks again for all the info. My family left Curino circa 1882 so I'm not surprised that there are no Ferraris's left in the town. I have my great great grandfather's certificato di nascita from the Commune di Curino, but I myself didn't find it. I would really appreciate it if you can give me a contact at the Town Hall, grazie.

My great great grandfather's friend was Bernardo Gianna and I don't know anything else about him, besides that he was from Piedmont (so I'm assuming he was from Curino).
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

I've sent you a PM.

Ada
LauraCuty

Post by LauraCuty »

Dear Ada, hello, I saw your correspondence with others about Curino and was hoping you can help. My mother and I are traveling to Curino April 3 to try to find my great grandfathe'rs grave and possible remaining family. The family name is Cagna. He was Giovanni Antonio Luigi Cagna and married Luiga Ozino Perotti. They had 3 children Nelia, Joseph and Irma (my grandmother) who were all born in Curino (we have original birth and baptismal certificates from Parrochia San Martino for Irma). They immigrated to NY around 1915 but he returned to Curino alone in the early 1930s and died there a few years later.

My question for you is to you know that name of the church which is probably in the hamlet San Martino and how I can contact them. We believe my great Aunt Nelia when she was alive sent money to the church to have the grave taken care of. I have searched the diocese in Italy and cannot find. Also, do you know anyone in Curino that is fluent in English so we can hire them to help us before we travel. I have tried to contact the town hall and had friends call possible family members but have not been too successful. Thank you, Laura
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

Hello Laura,
I've heard all the surnames you mentioned. The church in Curino, San Martino stands just in front of the Town Hall. The cemetery is just about 100 meters far from the church. I've heard from my mother, who went there last summer, that the priest doesn't live there. He only comes twice a week to celebrte mass. I will see if I can get any info on your relatives. I'll send you a PM.

Ada
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

Laura,
have you seen this manifest before?

Gior (but it's clearly Giov standing for Giovanni) Antonio Cagna, leaving from Le Havre (France) on ship La Savoie, date of arrival Sep 13, 1913, age 35, shoemaker, leaving his wife Perotti Ozino Cagna in Curino Italy and reaching his brother Giuseppe Cagna in NY, he also declares he was in Usa Before from 1907 to 1911

page 1 Line 17

page 2 line 17

Ada
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

An this is the family reaching husband and father on Sep 18, 1914.

Lines 3, 4 and 5

page 1

page 2

Ada