Write this sentence in Italian, please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Write this sentence in Italian, please

Post by donnawright »

Write in Italian please.

Between 1905 and 1913, where would aresident of Pianopoli apply for a permit to emigrate from Italy?
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Write this sentence in Italian, please

Post by Italysearcher »

They would get a 'foglio di via' from the town of residence I believe.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

The reason I am asking is because I am looking for a relative whose ellisisland record is there but he has dropped off the earth otherwise. I am looking for clues, plus I want documents.

For my grandparents on the other side of the family, they were from Sorano, but their ellis island record shows they got their permit from one of the towns in Livorno. This detail is not available for the other grandparents on ellisisland. I thought while I am asking for records, I would ask them where these people might have applied for their permits.

Thus, I am asking how to say it in Italian and include it in with the Italian language letters of request provided by others online.

Thanks
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

How was the "permit" worded inther manifest? This is the first time I heard of this "permit" business and it piques my interest. Please advise me and I will research this for thebothof us. =Peter=
~Peter~
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

When I looked at the manifest for the very first time, all of the terms were new to me. The "permit" is actually worded immigration visa. What I guess I remembered -- and it stuck -- is that this was their "permit" to get going.

Here is their link. My family is on lines 4,5,6, and 11. The question still remains, tho, about them having done this somewhere in Livorno but lived in Sorano, and sailed out of Genoa. And it makes me wonder where the Pianopoli relatives would have gotten their immigration visa.

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... 0062317216&
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Italysearcher wrote:They would get a 'foglio di via' from the town of residence I believe.
'foglio di via' is a document for foreigners that are expelled from Italy.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

donnawright wrote:When I looked at the manifest for the very first time, all of the terms were new to me. The "permit" is actually worded immigration visa. What I guess I remembered -- and it stuck -- is that this was their "permit" to get going.

Here is their link. My family is on lines 4,5,6, and 11. The question still remains, tho, about them having done this somewhere in Livorno but lived in Sorano, and sailed out of Genoa. And it makes me wonder where the Pianopoli relatives would have gotten their immigration visa.

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... 0062317216&
It appears to me that you are being misled. Whoever did the microfilming began with a stack of sloppily aligned pages and after taking a picture removed one sheet from the top than took another picture, etc. The column of immigration data you are seeing appears to actually belong to another sheet further down in the stack. If you skip ahead a couple of pages (click the "next" link to get to page 110), you will see additional examples of this problem.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

johnnyonthespot wrote:...

It appears to me that you are being misled. Whoever did the microfilming began with a stack of sloppily aligned pages and after taking a picture removed one sheet from the top than took another picture, etc. The column of immigration data you are seeing appears to actually belong to another sheet further down in the stack. If you skip ahead a couple of pages (click the "next" link to get to page 110), you will see additional examples of this problem.
You are right about page 110: the column about immigration data clearly belongs to a different sheet.
On the other hand, in the page posted by donnawright the column appear to be on the same sheet and seems to be folded. The number of entries in the column is the same as in the left part of the sheet and also the withdrawing coincide.

As far the original request is concerned, in my humble opinion an Immigration Visa can be issued only by an US authority.
Sorano is closed enough to Livorno, so it could be that there was an US office in Livorno.