Looking for SIMONE family genealogy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
AmbroseSimone

Looking for SIMONE family genealogy

Post by AmbroseSimone »

Great grandparents are Basilio Simone and Basilia Simone. They came to US around 1910 and settled in Ohio. Looking for any information for them or their ancestors. Thanks!
:)
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Looking for SIMONE family genealogy

Post by wldspirit »

Welcome to ItalianGenealogy!

What have you obtained in way of records so far? What are your research goals? Do you have dates of birth for them? What was your grandmothers maiden name? Do you know where they immigrated from?
By providing as much information as possible members can better direct your search.
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
AmbroseSimone

Post by AmbroseSimone »

Basilio Simone- per his death certificate: birthplace: Italy; birthdate: May 10, 1881; date of date: May 13, 1947 Cleveland, Ohio Father: Giatano Simone and his mother as Nunzio Simone.

Basilia Simone- per her death certificate: birthplace: Italy; birthdate: Nov 2, 1888; date of date: Feb 7,1952 Cleveland, Ohio. Father: Antonio Iro and her mother as Concetta Scorza. On a death certificate of a child of Basilio and Basilia, Basilia's maiden name is listed as Isop. A family member says he is sure it is Iro though. I don't have siblings for either one of them.

I don't know what part of Italy they came from, other than family always says they are from Sicily? I am hoping to find information on both of their parents, etc and if there were any siblings. Thanks!
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

hi AmbroseSimone,

I believe the correct last name for Basilia was Irò... and the place of origin San Marco D'Alunzio (Messina Province-Sicily region)
Here is Concetta Sforza's 1921 arrival togheter with her daughter? Irò Nunziata they were joining the daughter/sister Irò Basilia living in NYC

from Ancestry.com:

Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943
about Concetta Scorza
Name: Concetta Scorza
Arrival Date: 28 Feb 1921
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1859
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Princess Matoika
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Basilia Iro
Last Residence: Messina
Birthplace: S Marco, Messina
Microfilm Roll Number: 261

page 1:
[img=http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/850/ ... riv.th.jpg]

page 2:
[img=http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6134/sco ... riv.th.jpg]

on this (free) site:
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/rec ... tml#p=home
you'll be able to see also Basilia's death certificate, the handwritten of his father's lastname was Iro...

Hope this helps!
Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Here some information in your language about San Marco:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Marco_d%27Alunzio

:D
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Here's a possible Philadelphia ship manifest for Basilio, line 30
Name: Basilio Simone
Arrival Date: 14 Jul 1910
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1880
Marital Status: Single
Ethnic Background: Italian (South)
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Ship Name: Ancona
Port of Arrival: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Last residence and place of birth: San Marco d'Alunzio, province of Messina, Sicily
Destination: Cleveland OH
Previously in US: 1902 to 1907
Page 1
Page 2

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Ambrose Simone the Mili San marco referred to is part of the city of Messina being located on a road and not a "frazione" ( a village or hamlet absorbed by expanding city boundries but rather much like a cluster of buildings like our 711, gas station and diner and/or pizza shop.

You can go to www.nonsolocap.it and put in San marco and when the listing shows up you will see that tothe far right it is classified as "ON THE MESSINA ROAD". Click on that legend and an adminstrati ve page will show up with the address for Messina City Hall under MUNICIPIO if you want documents. Further under the legend Mappa di Messina you can see the topography of the city of Messina just click on the word Mappa. =Peter=
~Peter~
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Basilia Iro's 1914 Philadelphia ship manifest, line 7
(note I was only able to locate the first page; second page mislinked)
Name: Basilia Iro
Arrival Date: 25 Feb 1914
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1889
Last residence: San Marco d'Alunzio
Nearest relative in Italy: father Antonio
Page 1

Biff
AmbroseSimone

Post by AmbroseSimone »

Laura- Thank you so much! I had no idea Concetta came to the US and now I have the name of another daughter of hers! This is exciting and I appreciate your help! Thank you for the links also. Is it possible to find the passenger list for Basilia?

Biff- Thank you also for the info on Basilio! Although this passenger list says he came in 1910, it also says he was previously here between 1902-1907. Would he have gone back in 1907 and then returned again in 1910 married to Basilia? I don't know if they were married in Italy or US.

I really appreciate all the info- gives me more to work with. Thank you!
Sharon
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

AmbroseSimone wrote:Biff- Thank you also for the info on Basilio! Although this passenger list says he came in 1910, it also says he was previously here between 1902-1907. Would he have gone back in 1907 and then returned again in 1910 married to Basilia? I don't know if they were married in Italy or US.

I really appreciate all the info- gives me more to work with. Thank you!
Sharon
We're happy to have helped.
Based on the ship manifests found for Basilio and Basilia who were both single, their marriage happened subsequent to Basilia emigration in 1914. Wish that the 2nd page of her manifest wasn't missing since it may have given more details.

Biff
AmbroseSimone

Post by AmbroseSimone »

Maybe I am confusing myself--- her occupation is listed as housewife -- that makes me think she was married but wondering why her last name would be Iro and not Simone?
Sharon
Biff83 wrote:Basilia Iro's 1914 Philadelphia ship manifest, line 7
(note I was only able to locate the first page; second page mislinked)
Name: Basilia Iro
Arrival Date: 25 Feb 1914
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1889
Last residence: San Marco d'Alunzio
Nearest relative in Italy: father Antonio
Page 1

Biff
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

PeterTimber wrote:Dear Ambrose Simone the San marco referred to is part of the city of Messina being located on a road and not a "frazione" ( a village or hamlet absorbed by expanding city boundries but rather much like a cluster of buildings like our 711, gas station and diner and/or pizza shop.

You can go to www.nonsolocap.it and put in San marco and when the listing shows up you will see that tothe far right it is classified as "ON THE MESSINA ROAD". Click on that legend and an adminstrati ve page will show up with the address for Messina City Hall under MUNICIPIO if you want documents. Further under the legend Mappa di Messina you can see the topography of the city of Messina just click on the word Mappa. =Peter=
The place is San Marco d'Alunzio. See http://www.nonsolocap.it/sicilia/36-san ... /55-mappa/
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

AmbroseSimone wrote:Maybe I am confusing myself--- her occupation is listed as housewife -- that makes me think she was married but wondering why her last name would be Iro and not Simone?
Sharon
Her maritial status is shown as single. Even if she were married, she would be travelling under her maiden name. It was and still is the custom in Italy for women to use their maiden name on documents.

Biff
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Thank you, I'm very glad to help... :D

From this free site:
http://dxsrv4.cpl.org/WebZ/html/obit.ht ... 1990244761

Basilia's obituary:

Id#: 0724032
Name: Simone, Basilia
Date: Feb 9 1952
Source: Cleveland Press; Cleveland Necrology File, Reel #156.
Notes: Simone, Basilia (nee Iro), beloved wife of the late Basilio, mother of Thomas, Anthony, Mrs. Nancy Puglio, Mrs. Concetta Davis, Mrs. Rose Jano and Mrs. Mary Cipiti, grandmother and great grandmother, passed away Thursday, Feb. 7. Friends received at P. Coreno Funeral Home, 10514 Kinsman Rd. Services Monday at St. Anthony Church, at 10 a. m.

San Marco D'Alunzio is a town (Comune) 64 miles far from Messina...
http://www.messina-sicilia.it/english/s ... lunzio.htm

Laura
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear AmbroseSimone Since the San marco was not clarified as being a comune or not and at first was San Marco and later called San Marco D'alunzio, I thought that mentioning Mili San Marco was in order so in the event that there was an oversight you could have the option of knowing all the facts. I am a firm believer in the adage that you should never overlook the obvious. =Peter=
~Peter~