D'Aluisio/Prioletta in Campobasso/Frosolone

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JoeD75

D'Aluisio/Prioletta in Campobasso/Frosolone

Post by JoeD75 »

I am trying to find any information about my grandparents who emigrated to the US around 1904. My grandfather was Giuseppe D'Aluisio (son of Giovanni and Carmella (Pizzuoto) D'Aluisio) and my grandmother's maiden name was Agata Prioletta (daughter of Cristoforo and Maria Carmina (di Nunzio) Prioletta).

I know they emigrated from Campobasso, but I am not sure if that meant the province or the town. My grandfather was born in 1878. We located an affidavit that my grandmother used for naturalization purposes which indicated that she was born in Frosolone in 1885. I understand that my grandfather apprenticed as a blacksmith so he may have been in Frosolone for that purpose and have actually been born in one of the surrounding towns or Campobasso itself.

I have not been able to locate their records in the Ellis Island archives, but I think they arrived around 1904. I understand that my great grandmother (Ma. Carmina di Nunzio Prioletta) accompanied them to the US. A search of some of the surname sites and the white pages does not turn up any D'Aluisio matches in Molise at all, but there are many Priolettas and di Nunzios.

I know this is not much to go on, but hopefully someone may have stumbled upon something in researching their ancestry. I am planning a trip in May and will spend a day or two in the area and would appreciate any addtional information. I would like to be able to find where my grandfather was born if nothing more.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: D'Aluisio/Prioletta in Campobasso/Frosolone

Post by PeterTimber »

Have you tried to obtian Giuseppe D'Aluisio's(?=spelling) military conscription records in Campobasso. Since you have his birthdate and the only fly in the ointment is the doubtful town of origin but put in Frosolone anyway and 2 out of three should be good enough to obtain his military records.

The website for form conscription letters is www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/saviello2.html and send it to Arc hivio di Stato di Campobasso, Sezione Militare, Via orefici 43, Campobasso 86100, Molise region, Italy.

If you want to risk an e-mail you can send one to as-cb@beniculturali.it

=Peter=
~Peter~
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

JoeD75 wrote:I have not been able to locate their records in the Ellis Island archives, but I think they arrived around 1904.
from ancestry. com

28 Sep 1904, SS Nord America

(click here) probable 1904 manifest
Lines 7-8

detained alien passenger page
Lines 9-10
---

[quote="JoeD75] I understand that my great grandmother (Ma. Carmina di Nunzio Prioletta) accompanied them to the US.[/quote]

10 Nov 1906, SS Nord America

probable 1906 manifest
Line 6

special inquiry page
Line 3
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

A search of some of the surname sites and the white pages does not turn up any D'Aluisio matches in Molise at all
The correct spelling is probably d'Aloisio. It is spelled that way on one of the documents that vj posted and I have seen it spelled that way on a number of civil records from Campobasso. The surname search engine at http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/index.html returns a number of towns for d'Aloisio. The greatest concentration is in Civitacampomarano.
John Armellino
JoeD75

Post by JoeD75 »

Thanks to all for your help.

vj, those certainly look like the right documents. I am having dinner with my 89 year-old Dad tonight and can't wait to show him the manifests.

John, it's funny that I had a kid named D'Aloisio in my high school class and we used to argue over who had the spelling wrong.

Peter, I will try for the military records as well. Is it safe to assume that even though Frosolone is now part of Isernia that the Campobasso address would be the one to use since it used to be part of Campobasso?

Thanks again :!:
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Joe since you have the e-mail address why not send one to answer your question before you mail the request to Campobasso or send duplicate requests to Campbasso and Isernia simultaneously. Just let us know so we can bank the information for future use. =Peter=
~Peter~
JoeD75

Post by JoeD75 »

PeterTimber wrote:Dear Joe since you have the e-mail address why not send one to answer your question before you mail the request to Campobasso or send duplicate requests to Campbasso and Isernia simultaneously. Just let us know so we can bank the information for future use. =Peter=
I followed your advice and sent the e-mail. Hopefully the wait for a response will not be too long. I will post the answer when received.

Thanks again

Joe
JoeD75

Post by JoeD75 »

Well the good news is that I got a reply to the e-mail and it only took a little over three weeks.

I think the reply says that they checked their records and did not find anyone with my grandfather's name and they suggest that I try in Isernia. At least with my limited Italian I think that's what they said. So I don't think we have determined with any certainty which office would have the records, but in case my translation is worse than I thought here is what it said:

"In riferimento alla nota a margine, si comunica che, esaminate la rubriche dei ruoli matricolare e le liste di leva, non risulta il nominative della persona indicate in oggetto.

La ricerca puo essere inoltrata all’Archivio di Stato di Isernia, che conserva gli atti di Stato civile di tutti I comuni della sua provencia.

Distinti saluti."
Cleveland42

Post by Cleveland42 »

I know this has been a long time, but if you are still in the system, I would like to know if you went to Frosolone? My maiden name is Prioletti and I have genealogy that says my greatgrandfather "Michaelangelo Prioletti" from Frosolone was son of Giovanni Prioletti (abt. 1807-1866) and maria Paolucci (abt. 1811-1866) both of Frosolone. We are planning also to go to the area and see the statue to the blacksmiths there (family profession). I would like to know if you actually went there and what you found. Thanks, Anita
JoeD75

Post by JoeD75 »

Sorry for the delay in answering. It has been a while since I checked this site.

Yes we did go to Frosolone. Prioletta is quite a common name there.

In fact the Prioletta name seems to be quite well know among knife collectors and there is still a Prioletta shop in operation in the town.

We also spent some time in the local cemetery and there are numerous Prioletta tombs in the mausoleum.

My grandfather was also a blacksmith and I believe he went to Frosolone to apprentice with a "maestro" and that is where he met my grandmother who was born in the town. I am still trying to find out what town he came from (perhaps Ripabottoni) so I will most likely head back to the area again on a future trip to Italy.