MEANING OF ITALIAN SURNAME

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
JOHN08
Master
Master

MEANING OF ITALIAN SURNAME

Post by JOHN08 »

I have researched the Italian surname: Mizii, but cannot find anything on the meaning of this surname. Thanks for any help.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: MEANING OF ITALIAN SURNAME

Post by PeterTimber »

Mizii is not listed inthe Italian surname dcitionary and maybe local in origin or imported from abroad and Italianized. It is a rare surname and only found in Abruzzo region of Italy where there is only one persons named Claudio Mizii which you can find by going to www.paginebianche.it and put in Mizii inthe first line and Abruzzo inthe second lineand click CERCA for the one listing of his home telephone and address and his business address.

There maybe other Mizii inItaly but for the moment I can only locate this one person in Abruzzo. Oddly enough the surname Mizii roughly translates to "MY UNCLES" in Italian
~Peter~
JOHN08
Master
Master

Post by JOHN08 »

Peter, Thank you for the information. I have been searching for the surname meaning for a long time. Thanks again.

John
SynThea
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SynThea »

John:

Our Italian Surnames by Joseph G. Fucilla, pub. 1949, page 41 gives MIZZI as a form of Giacomizzi.

He explains this as a derivitive of the "James" tribe, that is, surnames based on variations of Giacomo.

Hope this is of some help.
SynThea
Massachusetts
USA
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The surname we researched is Mizii and not Mizzi but at the same time while all Italian names are Italian some names are listed inthe Italian surname dictionary while others are either local in origin or imported from abroad and italianized. Mizzi is not listed inthe Italian surname dictionary but there are variants,alterations,derivations andabbreviations of the base name MEO from which all these surnames evolved and many of them are close to Mizzi such as Miazzi, Meozzi, Meocci etc etc but none are Mizzi. =Peter=
~Peter~
JOHN08
Master
Master

Post by JOHN08 »

Thanks for your inputs. I have asked a number of relatives, if they have any ideas on the meaning of the surname MIZII. One relative remembers she asked a now decreased relative what the name means. The decreased relative did not know, but she was told the name is really french.

John