Sicilian Language

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran

Sicilian Language

Post by Mardi »

I grew up in a Sicilian Family, and my family used Sicilian words that are different they Italian words. I was wondering if any one out there would know of a word that Sicilians would have used for CHEESE..........

Or does anyone know if there is a web site for Sicilian slang.

I would appreciate any help that comes my way.

Thank you.
Mardi
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Sicilian Language

Post by eyetalgal »

Well, you got me thinking......

If memory serves me...we always used the name of the cheese rather than just 'cheese'. My folks would say 'get the Romano' or the 'Gorgonzola'. My Dad's favorite was Caciocavallo but he'd grudgingly settle for Provolone if he had to.
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi,
in sicily we use the word "Cacio" for "Cheese" from cow's milk , "tuma" or "tumazzo" from sheep' milk.
try this site
http://www.beginningwithi.com/italy/lang/itslangm.html....

enjoy
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Go to www.bestofsicily.com/mag/art87.htm for ALL Sicilian cheeses. =Peter=
~Peter~
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mardi »

I appreciate everyones help........I going to take Sicilian word/name, one step further.

I had an Uncle that everyone called him CAROOSA or CUZROOSO. Not sure of the spelling but it sounded like that to me. So us kids growing up knew him as Uncle Cuz roo so.

Can anyone tell me what does that word mean...
Thank you for your help,
Mardi
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi Mardi,
the word is "CARUSO" (feminine CARUSA) like the famous Italian opera tenor Enrico Caruso: we use this word for " boy".

A smile from Sicily
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).