Emigrants applying for Visa???

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Emigrants applying for Visa???

Post by donnawright »

I am having trouble verifying that a couple of postings in ellisisland.org belong to my grandfather. I really thought they were his, tho. I found two with names that would have been mis-spellings in transcription, but thought the records could be his because of other information. I was satisfied until......... If he came to the USA in the year of the last of the two records (1906) gramma would have had a child while he was away. I don't even want to go there!! She came with two children in 1909, one of whom was born in 1908. 1930 Census says GF came in 1907.

I would like to track down an application for visa or whatever applications they had to complete prior to leaving Italy. Can anyone tell me the process for people to leave Italy and where such documents are found?

Tomasso Tomaino..... Tomaso Tomaino .... Pianopoli Italy
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Emigrants applying for Visa???

Post by jwazevedo »

The experts in this forum will have more precise information, but here's what the Italian Consulate told me I needed as part of my application package for recognition of citizenship:

"It is necessary to present us the original passport (immigration passport) of your Italian ancestor(s). Ask for a 'Certificato di trascorso possesso della cittadinanza italiana' directly from the proper City Hall in Italy (see the web site www.comuni.it for addresses and phone/fax numbers)"

This suggests to me that some sort of exit document was issued by the comune and that there is a record kept of these in the comune. The Italian members of the forum can elaborate on this, I bet.

Good luck.

Best,
Jerry