DiChiara, Matera, Stagliano, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sweetpea

DiChiara, Matera, Stagliano, Italy

Post by sweetpea »

I have a DiChiara in my family files, also trying to connect and find Voto's sister and brothers.... Vito DiChiara who came to the US around 1910 with his wife Grace(Mandella, I believe this to be her maiden name) 3 daughters between the ages of 3 and 9...(Girls) their names were Marie (Mary), Rose, Ann and baby boy Anthony about or less then one year...Vito had sisters and brothers although I only found the name of one sister and I believe her name was Mary...
His daughter Mary was my grandmother and she was 6 when the arrived at Ellis Island...We know that much..Mary married Nunzio Edward Viviano and they lived in Yonkers, New York....The DiChiara is the side I'm trying to find...Her birth record shows she was born in Matera, Stagliano, Italy...

Soon after arriving here (1912to be exact), My great grand father was was killed in a street fight in NYC (told by family members, he was set up) and the three girls were taken from My great grand mother because she did not speak English and they were raised in a convent. The boy was left with my g-grandmother.

I'm sure some of the info. may not be needed but in hopes someone may know of this family would be of great help to me..
Also to search any records in Italy, where would I start???
Who is a contact for records in that part of Italy ?
vj
Master
Master

Re: DiChiara, Matera, Stagliano, Italy

Post by vj »

sweetpea wrote: Who is a contact for records in that part of Italy ?
Hello!

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Stigliano
Via Zanardelli 33
75018 Stigliano MT
ITALY
http://www.nonsolocap.it/basilicata/62-stigliano/

Interactive Form Letter to request records, English to Italian
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

edit: corrected comune name & address per Peter's :D suggestion
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

First of all the town of origin is STIGLIANO,75018 (zip code) Province of Matera, Basilicata region. This is important for obtaining information you are seeking. I stress this because you reversed the town name..

Go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html so that you can send form letters inItalian language to the Ufficio Di Stato Civile in Stigliano for birth, marriage and death records. You have to know the full name and year of birth or approximate year of birth.

Go to www.nonsolocap.it and type in Stigliano and click C ERCA. When Stigliano shows up clickon that stigliano name and a website about the town will come up and go down to Municipio and under this is the address to send the form letter(s). There is no charge and the service is Free!!

If you have any other questions get back to us.=Peter=

f
~Peter~
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Just in case you don’t already have this, a possible 1910 census
It has a few clues to help find the manifest(s) which may verify the town where everyone was born
Valarie

From ancestry. com
(click here) 1910 census

Home in 1910:
Manhattan Ward 12, New York, New York
241 111th Street East
Head Vito Dichiaro 36, born abt 1874 IT
- married 13 years, abt 1897
- immig 1904, Al
Wife Grazia Dichiaro 36, born abt 1874 IT
- 6 children born, 4 children living
- immig 1907
Daughter Rosina Dichiaro 8, born abt 1902 IT
- immig 1907
Daughter Mariantoni Dichiaro 5, born abt 1905 IT
- immig 1907
Daughter Anna Dichiaro 3, born abt 1907 NY
Son Tony Dichiaro 3/12, born abt 1909 NY
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

So that we don't duplicate records already obtained, can you tell us what you may or may not need in way of US research!! Thanks!!
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

She is seeking information about the Di Chiara side of her family who are from Stigliano, (MT) as this is the birth place. =Peter= (I know you)
~Peter~
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Right now you know me.....two hours from now you could totally forget!! :lol:

I got that she needed some Italian research, :wink: but finding out what she already has in way of US records would be helpful, before we bombard her with 20 duplicate records!!
wldspirit

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

"She is seeking information about the Di Chiara side of her family who are from Stigliano"

Yes, I am I know that he was the only one to come to America.So I know there is still family there some where..

VJ..Thank you so much for the 1910 census..

I would also even like to find any info. here in the US..Like maybe even the Convent who took the children..They may have some records or maybe not. I have found the list for the Archdiocese of New York, but that's like beating a dead horse finding the name of the convent that would have taken them..

I only have my grand mothers birth record, (in Italian) I have a street address and names of people who were there as witness to the birth.

All of you have been such a great help..I can't thank you enough.
I've been working on the family tree for over 12 years now, Have been able to trace my dads family back 5 generations and yet I stop at my moms mother...I only know of her grandfather and of his murder and only remember my great grand mother up until I was 9 years old, when she passed away.

Again thank you..I'm getting some letters out today..

If by chance you come up with anything else It would be greatly appreciated..
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

sweetpea wrote:... I would also even like to find any info. here in the US..Like maybe even the Convent who took the children..They may have some records or maybe not. I have found the list for the Archdiocese of New York, but that's like beating a dead horse finding the name of the convent that would have taken them ...
I'm so glad we could help.
What year did your grandmother marry?
If it was after 1920 we may find her and her siblings on a 1920 census.
Valarie
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Soon after arriving here (1912to be exact), My great grand father was was killed in a street fight in NYC (told by family members, he was set up)
Have you obtained his death record? Were you able to find any reference to his murder in a newspaper if exact date of death was known?
Thanks for the feedback.......so important to ongoing research!! :wink:
wldspirit

vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

This is an interesting 1920 census for a Catholic home.
Valarie

Marie's name is similar to the 1910 census
Sister Anna is listed as being born in Italy
For both, the year of immigration is 1905 - which means Anna would have been born in NY
Both naturalized in 1917
Sister Rosa may have been married already?

interesting 1920 census
lines 20-21
---

edit: added
You didn’t mention if you had your grandmother, her mother & siblings on the 1930 census.
If not, pretty sure this is the correct census.
On it, your grandmother is married, living at #2 Fourth Street in Yonkers.
Her mother Grace is remarried, sister Rosa is married, Anna & Anthony still single, all living at #14 Fourth Street in Yonkers.
Valarie

edit: relinked 1930 census
possible 1930 census Viviano
possible 1930 census DiChiara
sweetpea wrote: ... wife Grace(Mandella, I believe this to be her maiden name)...
If Grace's maiden name is hard to read on your grandmother's birth act, perhaps she used her maiden name somewhere on the record of her second marriage
- to Frank (Francesco?) Francolini/o (?)
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Since you know the town of origin, have the first name of mother, name of father, along with birth years for both daughters born in Italy, you can
search thru microfilmed records for the girls birth certificates which may lead to additional info on both parents.

Stigliano

Guide for using this resource:
The proper way of obtaining microfilm from a Family History Center
1. You go to www.familysearch.org

2. Click on the tab on the top right called Library

3. Click on the words Family History Library Catalog

4. Click on the words Place Search and type in the town you are looking for. Then click the word search.

5. A list of the results will show up. (an example: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)

6. Click on the link you are looking for such a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Vital Records. A new page will appear where it will show all the films for Vital Records

7. Click on the link you want such as Death Registries.

8. Click on View Film Notes and a list of the microfilm numbers will appear.

9. Click at the bottom of the page, For a printable copy, click hereand you will get a form to print out with all the film numbers.

10. Click print.

Ordering Microfilm

1. Now the FHC does not have all the microfilm in their possession.

2. You have to order the microfilm which takes 3-4 weeks for it to arrive.

3. It costs about $5.75 a roll for 30 days of viewing time.

4. If you need to renew the microfilm, it cost about $5.50 for another 60 days.

5. If you need to renew it after the 60 days, it will cost another $5.50 and the films can be kept on an indefinite bases.

6. Microfilm must be viewed at the FHC.

7. Copies are $0.35 a page.

Written and Created for the Family History Center of Cherry Hill, New Jersey - by PTCTM - Trish - 02/2006
For language:

Italian Genealogical Word List

and Latin

Also the book by Lynn Nelson, "Discovering your Italian Roots"

wldspirit :wink:

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

vj wrote:This is an interesting 1920 census for a Catholic home.
Valarie

Marie's name is similar to the 1910 census
Sister Anna is listed as being born in Italy
For both, the year of immigration is 1905 - which means Anna would have been born in NY
Both naturalized in 1917
Sister Rosa may have been married already?

interesting 1920 census
lines 20-21
---

edit: added
You didn’t mention if you had your grandmother, her mother & siblings on the 1930 census.
If not, pretty sure this is the correct census.
On it, your grandmother is married, living at #2 Fourth Street in Yonkers.
Her mother Grazia is remarried, sister Rosa is married, Anna & Anthony still single, all living at #14 Fourth Street in Yonkers.
Valarie

possible 1930 census Viviano
possible 1930 census DiChiara
Have you obtained his death record? Were you able to find any reference to his murder in a newspaper if exact date of death was known?
Thanks for the feedback.......so important to ongoing research!!
wldspirit

My cousin Gail said he was killed in 1912 because her father was 2 ..

Dates are just about a year off from everything I find, yet names are exact..

That Frank on the 1930 Census, I can’t quite make out the last name, But no one ever said she was re-married..
I know Aunt Rose (one of the daughters was Married to a Fracasse..)

This is becoming frustrating.. MARY (DiChiara)VIVIANO 08 Oct 1904 died Feb 27 1992
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Does any of this look familiar?

FRACASSE, ROSE A. - of Southbury, Conn., formerly of Yonkers, NY, died on Tuesday, May 22, 2001 at Medi-Plex Nursing Home, Southbury, Conn. She was 99 years old. Mrs. Fracasse worked as a Weaver for Alexander Smith Co. in Yonkers for 32 years. Mrs. Fracasse was born on Nov. 15, 1901 in Potenza, Italy to Vito and Grace Mandile DiChiara. She was a member of the Senior Citizens Group of Nepperhan Ave., Yonkers. She was a communicant of St. Bartholomews Church. Mrs. Fracasse was remembered for always taking care of her family. She is survived by a daughter Anita Mastrovito and son-in-law Philip of Southbury, Conn., also survived by 2 grandchildren and 4 grandchildren. Predeceased by a brother Anthony DiChiara, two sisters Mary Viviano, Anna Stellutti, and granddaughter Clare Bingman. Calling hours on Friday 2-4 and 7-9pm at CUCCIA FUNERAL HOME, 23 Lockwood Ave, Yonkers, NY on Saturday at 10am at St. Bartholomew Church. Interment will follow at St. Joseph Cemetery. Friends may send memorial donations to St. Bartholomews Church.

Published: Friday, May 25th, 2001

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Would need a second opinion, but I'm wondering if the correct spelling could be MENDELLA
wldspirit