Origins of the name Testa and Venditti

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Origins of the name Testa and Venditti

Post by nuccia »

Well, after looking through a few records, this is what I can see.

Angeloantonio Testa was born 23 Sep 1879 (as per his WW1 Draft Registrations cards). The image is only partially available so I can't read anything else.

Antonia (possibly Antonia Concetta but unconfirmed yet) was born abt 1878

Their children: Filomena Fiorenza born abt 1906 (possible death record available in PA with birthdate of 1 Oct 1906 but you would need to research that.)

Carmine (also known as Carmen) born abt 1 Apr 1901 in Vinchiaturo. He married Rose Haggerty on Jun 15, 1924 in Richmond. He died Jan 1973 in Staten Island Richmond.

Cristina (Christina) was born abt 1897 in Vichiaturo. She married Antonio DiSerafino on 25 Jun 1916 in Richmond. She is living next door to her sister Marie and her husband, Jack Como.

Giuseppe, born about 1904, has a possible strange marriage situation. If this is him, there are two listings for spouses...Josephine Siclari, marriage date Dec 29, 1925 or Mary Tortorello, marriage Dec 6, 1925. Either way, he is listed as married in the 1930 Census yet he is living with his mother and no wife in site..(I hope I remembered that correctly). Also married in Richmond.

Lucia arrived with her aunt, Elisabetta and her cousins in 1907. Her ship record is listed under Vesta, but she was detained and that listed as Lucia Testa. She was born about 1893 and it states her place of birth is Serto Campno. She married Pasquale Primiano on Jun 15, 1913 in Richmond.

Maria, born in Jan 1910 in New York, married Rosario Como on Jun 30 1929. In the 1930 Census, they are recorded as Jack and Marie Como, married one year and living in Richmond.

Nicolas, born in New York in 1912, married Hazel G. Merrell on July 38, 1934 in Richmond.

Next Family...

Bernardino Andrea Venditti is the son of Michele Venditti, and Maria Cristina Iammatteo (she was born abt 1858 according to the ship manifest arriving in 1904).

Bernardino was born 25 Sep 1902 and died 29 Jan 1980 in Sonoma California.

As for Filomena..perhaps contact St Joseph's cemetary? There is a listing of a Filomena dying in 1959..

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... id=9164550&

Thoughts are welcomed...images appreciated as always! :)

Oh and John, if you do want to tell us about a record, could you please copy and paste at least the text information of the spelling and information that you find it. It makes it much easier to work with. Thanks and I hope this helps at least a bit. :)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
allitalian1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by allitalian1 »

I am still looking for Filomena Testa and her daughter, Antonette. I have been striking out and wondered if anyone else has had some success.

allitalian1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by allitalian1 »

Nuccia:

Thank you for the "find a grave" post. I looked into it and do not believe that to be her.

Any new ideas.

Thanks,

John
Cmelito

Post by Cmelito »

Filomena Testa born November 13, 1906 Vinchiaturo Italy Record 114 film # 1807963 FHL to Angelantonio Testa and Antonia Venditto
Angelantonio Testa born October 14, 1865 from page 156 of the book The Staten Island Italian-American Experience in San Guiliano del Sannio Italy
Antonia Venditto born January 12, 1874 Record 8 film # 1807961 FHL in Vinchiaturo Italy
Angelantonio Testa and Antonia Venditto married in Vinchiaturo May 11, 1892 record 16 Film # 1807974 FHL
Maria Carmina Testa born 1895 marries Pasquale Primiani 1913
Cristina Testa born 1897 marries Antonio di Serafino 1916
Carmine Testa born 1902 marries Rose Haggerty 1924
Giuseppe Testa born 1904 marries Josephine Siclari 1924
Marie Testa born about 1910 marries Rosario Como 1929
Nicola Testa born about 1912 marries Hazel Gladys Merrell 1934
maybe you could follow up with the children of the siblings to find the missing Antonette
rolex1665

Post by rolex1665 »

Hi guys....doing a research with my family`s name....I found great infos, here.!!!! WOOOWWWWW, and congrats for this amazing job!!! John, probably your grandfather Bernardino was brother from my grandfather, Domenico Venditti,
well here is all I know....I will return home in few weeks, and can verify what docs my mom still have... letters from family etc...
my grandfather, Domenico, came to Brasil, and arrived in Santos, also was born in Vinchiaturo,
He had 3 brothers and a sister,
-Bernardino that was older then him, and went to California
-Antonio ( USA)
-Carmino, went to Argentina and he had a son, Gianni Venditti, , mother`s name is Irma.
- Assunta, the sister, keep living in Vinchiaturo. She had a son, also called Domenico. he may have 55 or 58 years old nowadays.

my grandfather Domenico was the yongest of all brothers and he stayed with their parents ( Giovanne Venditti, and Sebastiana Machiatto) for more time. and decide to go to Brasil, to live with 2 cousins, one named Rosaria Venditti.

this is what i could confirm with my mother few minutes ago, by phone.... sure when i return i will verify the right names, dates etc...
one thing that could help is one of the 2 brothers that went to USA, Bernardino or Antonio, one had 3 twins...i will confirm this!!

if all this is right...and if we are talking about the same people in Vinchiaturo, John, your family is bigger now!!!

all the best, Wilton
sbryant223

Post by sbryant223 »

nuccia wrote:Well, after looking through a few records, this is what I can see.

Angeloantonio Testa was born 23 Sep 1879 (as per his WW1 Draft Registrations cards). The image is only partially available so I can't read anything else.

Their children: Filomena Fiorenza born abt 1906 (possible death record available in PA with birthdate of 1 Oct 1906 but you would need to research that.)

Carmine (also known as Carmen) born abt 1 Apr 1901 in Vinchiaturo. He married Rose Haggerty on Jun 15, 1924 in Richmond. He died Jan 1973 in Staten Island Richmond.

Cristina (Christina) was born abt 1897 in Vichiaturo. She married Antonio DiSerafino on 25 Jun 1916 in Richmond. She is living next door to her sister Marie and her husband, Jack Como.

Giuseppe, born about 1904, has a possible strange marriage situation. If this is him, there are two listings for spouses...Josephine Siclari, marriage date Dec 29, 1925 or Mary Tortorello, marriage Dec 6, 1925. Either way, he is listed as married in the 1930 Census yet he is living with his mother and no wife in site..(I hope I remembered that correctly). Also married in Richmond.

Lucia arrived with her aunt, Elisabetta and her cousins in 1907. Her ship record is listed under Vesta, but she was detained and that listed as Lucia Testa. She was born about 1893 and it states her place of birth is Serto Campno. She married Pasquale Primiano on Jun 15, 1913 in Richmond.

Maria, born in Jan 1910 in New York, married Rosario Como on Jun 30 1929. In the 1930 Census, they are recorded as Jack and Marie Como, married one year and living in Richmond.

Nicolas, born in New York in 1912, married Hazel G. Merrell on July 38, 1934 in Richmond.

Next Family...

Bernardino Andrea Venditti is the son of Michele Venditti, and Maria Cristina Iammatteo (she was born abt 1858 according to the ship manifest arriving in 1904).

As for Filomena..perhaps contact St Joseph's cemetary? There is a listing of a Filomena dying in 1959..

Oh and John, if you do want to tell us about a record, could you please copy and paste at least the text information of the spelling and information that you find it. It makes it much easier to work with. Thanks and I hope this helps at least a bit. :)
sbryant223

Post by sbryant223 »

LUCY AND PATSY WERE MY GREAT GRANDPARENTS, THEIR 2 DAUGHTERS WERE MICKELENA (MY GRANDMOTHER) DECEASED 2/22/2006. AND ANTOINETTE WHO CURRENTLY RESIDES IN PORT ST. LUCIE, FLA! I HOPE THIS HELPS AND WHAT YOU HAVE SAID WHAT HAS BEENS SAID BY NUCCIA IS PRETTY MUCH HEAD ON CORRECT....I HOPE THIS HELPS....
MICHELENA MARRIED JOHN KOEBEL WHO PASSED AWAY MAY 25 1954 THEY HAD ONE DAUGHTER JANICE WHO RESIDES IN STATEN ISLAND, NY. YOU ARE ALSO CORRECT ABOUT THE GERMAN BACKGROUND AS WELL. I HAVE TO CHECK IT OUT WITH MY MOM BEFORE I CAN EXPLAIN BUT SOMEONE IN MY GRANDFATHER JOHN KOEBEL'S MATERNAL SIDE OF THE FAMILY WAS A TESTA!
sbryant223

Post by sbryant223 »

John,
Philomena, divorced Bernadino and remarried to a DiDonato, the reason you cannot find her is she is buried under the name Philomena DiDonato, in St. Peter's Cemetary, Staten Island, NY , her daughter Ann married a Procetto, she died around 2010 in North Hollywood, Ca. her daughters are Sue Procetto and Robin Ann Procetto Smullins.... I hope this helps!

allitalian1 wrote:Hi:

Over the past efw days, I have devoted much time to research and trying to clear up some of the loose ends. There is no question that my father's parents were Philomena (Philbelminna) Testa and Bernardino
Venditti. There is also little doubt that he had a brother, John A. Venditti and a sister, Antoinetta Venditti.

Further, there is little doubt that Philomena's parents were Antonia Venditti and Anthony (Angelantonio) Testa. It is confirmed they had six children, including Philomena. I agree that Antonetta's father was Guiseppe Venditti. Remember, the manifest for Angelantonio dated February 24, 1904, stated her was coming to New Dorp, Staten Island to visit his father in law, Guiseppe Venditti.

It started getting very confusing when it was proven that Antonia was a Venditti as so too was Bernardino. I believe this left little doubt that the Testa's and Venditti's were friends in Italy and that these marriages were arranged by family. It has become a bit more clear that, perhaps, these familes married as 2nd/3rd cousins. I, also found that Philomena died in Flushing, Queens on June 22, 1993. She died under the spelling of "Filomena". Would that concern you?, or do you think is clearly her, but that she just started spelling her first name differently?. She has used three spellings; the first when her parents filled out the manifest in 1907, spelling it as Philbelminna, spelled Philomena on a Dept. of Welfare form in 1927, and on her death record in 1993, as Philomena.

Here is where I am stumbling a bit:

1) I cannot locate a manifest for Bernardino. Where was he at this time and what happened to him? How did her get the the U.S.? I found information which states he died in Sonoma, California in January 1980 making him approximately 80. I believe he was a grape farmer.

2) I found that my father's brother John A. Venditti seems to have died in Los Angeles, California in 1962 as age 37. I cannot find any additional information for him.

3) I cannot locate any information whatsoever for my father's sister, Antoinetta.

4) I cannot locate any information for Bernardino's parents. Manifests or even their names.

There appears to be more information on Philomena's family than that of Bernardino.

If you have any information or can direct me to a new search, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you, again,

John
sbryant223

Post by sbryant223 »

I don't know about Berndardno, But Ann died in California. Philomena died also but but she remarried a DiDonato and is buried in St. Peter's Cemetary in Staten Island under the name Philomena DiDonato.
sbryant223

Post by sbryant223 »

allitalian1 wrote: 12 Mar 2009, 15:10 I am still looking for Filomena Testa and her daughter, Antonette. I have been striking out and wondered if anyone else has had some success.

Ann Died on 12/19/2010.
In California
sbryant223

Post by sbryant223 »

kindly contact me on Facebook
sbryant223

Post by sbryant223 »

nuccia wrote: 23 Feb 2009, 01:21 Well, after looking through a few records, this is what I can see.

Next Family...

Philomena remarried and was buried with her 2nd husband....her name at the time was Philomema DiDonato
She was my great-aunt.
this is her grave

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/211 ... nato/photo
sbryant223

Post by sbryant223 »

I can connect you to Filomena’s granddaughters. Daughters of Ann