Origin Of Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tonij16102
Veteran
Veteran

Origin Of Family

Post by tonij16102 »

I was told a story a few yrs back about my DiBernardo, Carusone, Cappibianco,and Veltre sides of the family. I was told that these families were suppose to have been originated in France and was summoned to battle for Italy against the Norsmen and this was how the Cappibianco's got their last mane because of the white capes that they were wore.

I started my search in the yr that my grandfather was born which was 1890 and forward and backwards from there, as I worked backwards from the 1890's they became scarce, on one record I had found a Bernard and how I knew it was my family was the date and the names. From Bernard a few yrs later in the reel of film I found Bernard di then it went DiBernardo after moving the Di in front of Bernad. I was then told that for their efforts they were awarded land throughout Caserta which I have found still holds true today that they are still property owners. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Toni
tonij16102
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Origin Of Family

Post by tonij16102 »

Hi again,
Was hoping that someone would have an idea that could possible find out if my family truly did originate in France.

Thanks,
Toni
sylogician
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sylogician »

Toni,
I think part of the lack of response is because there's no way to answer the question from the information provided. Bernard is a very common name throughout Europe. Much like Peterson up North, which could derive from the many nationalities. Certainly they could have derived from France. But they also might have come from Switzerland or Germany or even Italy itself.

As far as origins of last names, I like the following website as a quick summary of many Italian last names. It is not in-depth, but it is broad and may hint at places to further your search.

http://www.cognomiitaliani.org/cognomi/cognomi0002.htm

Your best course is to continue painstakingly working backward through the records from individual to individual of your own ancestors. You may feel you reach a dead end, but the information probably exists somewhere. And be careful of jumping to conclusions. There may be very many historical figures with the same name, but none of them may prove to be your ancestors or the name may evolve over time. That is part of the dilemma I am facing, and I'm researching a fairly narrow and uncommon name (Trotti, Trotto, Trotta, Trottus, Trota, Troti).

Good luck and good hunting

David
tonij16102
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonij16102 »

sylogician wrote:Toni,
I think part of the lack of response is because there's no way to answer the question from the information provided. Bernard is a very common name throughout Europe. Much like Peterson up North, which could derive from the many nationalities. Certainly they could have derived from France. But they also might have come from Switzerland or Germany or even Italy itself.

As far as origins of last names, I like the following website as a quick summary of many Italian last names. It is not in-depth, but it is broad and may hint at places to further your search.

http://www.cognomiitaliani.org/cognomi/cognomi0002.htm

Your best course is to continue painstakingly working backward through the records from individual to individual of your own ancestors. You may feel you reach a dead end, but the information probably exists somewhere. And be careful of jumping to conclusions. There may be very many historical figures with the same name, but none of them may prove to be your ancestors or the name may evolve over time. That is part of the dilemma I am facing, and I'm researching a fairly narrow and uncommon name (Trotti, Trotto, Trotta, Trottus, Trota, Troti).

Good luck and good hunting

David
Good Morning David,
I understand that and as I worked backwards to the early 1800's they were only one family there with the spelling as Bernard. I just wish that the older gentleman had told this story would have had it written down or with some proof of it as maybe during time the story more than likely changed. When I didn't find them in Camigliano I searched the nearby villages too but they didn't show up there so that maybe there was some truth to this.

Also all of my grandfather's family knew how to read and write in the 1800's as I was told by family members there they had been taught by the church being that my grandfather's family had some priests, bishops, and Monsignor's in this family even to this very day. I do know already that some of my grandfather's family were in Switzerland. Thanks for the website. Thanks again David.

Toni