Alia, Palermo, Sicily Families

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sazzlynn
Rookie
Rookie

Alia, Palermo, Sicily Families

Post by sazzlynn »

I am researching families from Alia, Sicily including the names Rotolo, Rumfola, Todaro and Marchiafava. I would be interested in coresponding with others concerning these family names to share information.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

why not correspond with these families directly in Alia. Go to www.paginebianche.it and insert surname in first line and alia in third line and click CERCA for full names,addresses and telephone numbers. Peter
harleycat

Re: Alia, Palermo, Sicily Families

Post by harleycat »

I am also researching Alia families. Unfortunately, no names are the same. The names I am researching thus far are Panepinto, Cortese, Bonfanti, Morana, and Scaccia. Some family members ended New Orleans and Houston. Others may have ended up in Waco, TX; New Jersey, and New York. Would love to hear from anyone who may connect.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

did you try www.google.com and insert the surname and the word genealogy in the title and see what comes up?? Peter
sazzlynn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sazzlynn »

Hi Harleycat, My husband's Italian family all came from Alia. So we are related to the Scaccia family and distantly related to the Panepinto family. Great-great-grandmother was Anna Scaccia who came to the US in 1891 as a young mother with 3 children. She married Rosolino Marchiafava in Alia in 1881. Louisiana seems to be a starting point for many of these families. They arrived in New Orleans, found work on the sugar plantations around Napoleonville, LA. Once they were established they moved from there to Baton Rouge, New Orleans and other cities like Houston. Bonfanti is another common name in this area. If you give me names and approximate dates, I can check records next time I go to the archives. Good Luck with your search, De
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

sazzlynn wrote:Hi Harleycat, My husband's Italian family all came from Alia. So we are related to the Scaccia family and distantly related to the Panepinto family. Great-great-grandmother was Anna Scaccia who came to the US in 1891 as a young mother with 3 children. She married Rosolino Marchiafava in Alia in 1881. Louisiana seems to be a starting point for many of these families. They arrived in New Orleans, found work on the sugar plantations around Napoleonville, LA. Once they were established they moved from there to Baton Rouge, New Orleans and other cities like Houston. Bonfanti is another common name in this area. If you give me names and approximate dates, I can check records next time I go to the archives. Good Luck with your search, De
There is a book entitled Bread and Respect: The Italians of Louisiana. This is a book by A.V. Margavio and Jerome J. Salomone and explains the Italian immigrants to Louisiana and how they differed from the Italian immigrants into other parts of the US. It is a very interesting read, full of information, and gives a real feel for the immigrants. Think those of you with Louisiana Italian roots will find it informative.
sazzlynn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sazzlynn »

Thanks for the suggestion!
cinderella

Post by cinderella »

I am also researching my family history from Alia. These are the family names that I am looking for: Maruzzella, Vassallo, Scaccia, Ruffino.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I already infiormed you on where to start looking. Please re-read my message. The suggested books to read are indeed excellent reading. You should also look to purchase and read the book Italian Genealogicval Records by Trafford R., Cole. Thjis way you can do all the research you want without having to depend on the ikes of us. Peter
sazzlynn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sazzlynn »

Hi, There is a terrific book that indexes all Alia civil records; birth, marriages, and deaths, for the years 1851-1861. It is titled ITALIAN-AMERICAN ROOTS by Albert J Robichaux, Jr. If your research has progressed to be able to use these dates, it is a gold mine of information.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The Family History Library of the Mormon church nearest your home has the Alia civil records on microfilm from 1820 to 1910 covering all marriages,births and deaths as well as family composition. Peter
MichaelBono

Post by MichaelBono »

harleycat wrote:I am also researching Alia families. Unfortunately, no names are the same. The names I am researching thus far are Panepinto, Cortese, Bonfanti, Morana, and Scaccia. Some family members ended New Orleans and Houston. Others may have ended up in Waco, TX; New Jersey, and New York. Would love to hear from anyone who may connect.
I am related to the Cortese family in Alia and have extensive information from Alia civil records. My line settled in New Orleans. My direct ancestors are Salvatore Cortese (b. ~ 1812) m. Francesca di Piazza (~ 1810 -- 1880), who had eight children (1) Antonio (1849 - 1927) m. Angela Napoli (1857 - 1926) (my great grandfather); (2) Carmelo; (3) Maria (~ 1847 - 1857); (4) Giuseppe (b. 1852), (5) Salvadore (b. 1853); (6) Rosolia (b. 1856); (7) Maria Grazia (b. 1858); and (8) Maria (1860 - 1860). Antonio and Carmelo settled in New Orleans. Give me some details on you Cortese relatives and I'll see what I have.
harleycat

Post by harleycat »

sazzlynn wrote:Hi Harleycat, My husband's Italian family all came from Alia. So we are related to the Scaccia family and distantly related to the Panepinto family. Great-great-grandmother was Anna Scaccia who came to the US in 1891 as a young mother with 3 children. She married Rosolino Marchiafava in Alia in 1881. Louisiana seems to be a starting point for many of these families. They arrived in New Orleans, found work on the sugar plantations around Napoleonville, LA. Once they were established they moved from there to Baton Rouge, New Orleans and other cities like Houston. Bonfanti is another common name in this area. If you give me names and approximate dates, I can check records next time I go to the archives. Good Luck with your search, De
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond, but I was taking A&PI this fall and it really took over! Anyway, here's some info that I know for my family:
Salvadore (or Salvatore) Panepinto was born to Giovannni Pietro Panepinto and Calegera Cortese on 23 Oct 1881. He married Paola Morana (b. 4 January 1885 to Giuseppe Morana and Filomena Bonfanti) 3 Oct 1914 in Alia. They soon left Alia aboard the vincenzon-Florio and arrived in New Orleans with his wife a 3 month old son Pietro on 5 May 1905. A mason by trade his family was to meet up with his sister and her family there in New Orleans.

Francesca Panepinto was born May 1866 and married Liborio Scaccia (b. Aug 1854) probably around 1885 in Alia. They had Rosolino (b. Aug 1886), Giuseppa/Giuseppine (b. Sep 1888), Calogera (b. may 1891), Giulia (b. Sep 1892), and Rosalia (b. b. Aug 1895). They left Alia and arrived in New York on Ellis Island 1 May 1898 aboard the Hesperia and was headed for New Orleans with Antonino Cortese listed as family member. (They were actually in Amesville, Jefferson Parish, Louisiana in 1900). They had one additional child in Louisiana (Mary b. ca. 1905). Liborio (Leon) apparently died 23 Sept 1918 in New Orleans while son Rosario (Frank) may have married Francesca Riscica 14 June 1916 before his passing 31 Oct 1918. Daughter Giuseppine (Josephine) married Antonino (Anthony) Romano and had Marie, Frances, and Jack.

The only additional Alia information I have is on the Morana family. Giuseppe Morana and wife Filomena Bonfanti had at least: Emmannuele, 1877, Salvatore, 1879, Emmannuele, 1881, Antonino, 1883, Paola, Salvatrice, 1887, Maria Grazia, 1891, and Rosalia, 1894.

I do have a little on the Panepinto family, some of which is family passed down info: Salvtore and Francesca had the following siblings probably/at least: Rosalia, Giovanni, Giuseppa (1876), and Concetta (1879). I was told they had a brother who ended up in New Jersey. I did find a Panepinto family (or two?) in New Jersey, but I can not connect them for sure.

Any help would be appreciated and any possible connection would be great!! I am currently looking into the possible connection to the Cortese family mentioned in another message.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Your research our assistance. Peter
john_dominic
Veteran
Veteran

Post by john_dominic »

sazzlynn wrote:I am researching families from Alia, Sicily including the names Rotolo, Rumfola, Todaro and Marchiafava. I would be interested in coresponding with others concerning these family names to share information.
My step-great-grandfather was a Rotolo.

They came from Caccamo (in Sicily) and my step-grandfather visited there a few years ago and met them.

In fact, I was the one to point it out to my family, since (when I was there) I saw a sign for some shop they owned.

Are thes the same Rotolo's we're talking about here?