"Luzio" as a female name?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

"Luzio" as a female name?

Post by jwazevedo »

I'm in the process of applying for recognition under my mother-GF, and I'm assembling the documents. I've just seen the birth certificate for my mother, from the 1920s in Sonoma County, California. Though she'd always been known as Lucy and is shown as such in every other document, her birth certificate lists her as "Luzio". The certificate lists the gender as "Female", and the birthdate and other info is correct, but the name is a puzzler. Her Italian immigrant father, Domenico Bordessa, was the informant, and goodness, you'd think he'd know better. I plan to file an affidavit of "one and the same person" with the consulate.

My question for the Italian members is this: Have you ever heard of "Luzio" as a female name, or can you imagine why this name might have been used?

Also, if none of the local churches for many miles around have a record of her baptism, is there any recourse for finding where she might have got her given name of "Lucy Angelina" between the time of her birth and the 1930 census, when she was seven years old?

Thanks,
Jerry
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: "Luzio" as a female name?

Post by Italysearcher »

Luzio is a surname and therefore probably at one time a christian name. There was a San Luzio so anything is possible. The female version would be Luzia. There was a Portugese Saint Luzia. He, or the clerk, could have just misunderstood each other especially if the clerk was familiar with the Portugese community. Angelina could have been added at her confirmation.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: "Luzio" as a female name?

Post by jwazevedo »

Thank you for the great background. I hadn't thought of the confirmation name.
Jerry