Translation help of letter in Italian from NYC consulate

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jeniacono

Translation help of letter in Italian from NYC consulate

Post by jeniacono »

Hi

Can someone help me translate the following from the NYC consulate regarding my father's marriage certificate?

Si restituisce il suo certificato di matrimonio in quanto i nome risultano essere errati:

- dal certiciate do nascita Lei si chiam IGNAZIO e invece sl matrimonio e' scritto IGNATIUS J. E

- il nome di sua mglie resulta essere ELANOR L. invece di ELEANORE LYDIA

Si prega voler far correggere l'errore presso l'Ufficio di Stato Civile di NY e poi restituirlo, completo di apostille e traduzione per la relativa transcrizione in Itlalia. Ringraziando per la collaborazione, distinit saluti
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Translation help of letter in Italian from NYC consulate

Post by elba »

jeniacono wrote:Hi

Can someone help me translate the following from the NYC consulate regarding my father's marriage certificate?

Si restituisce il suo certificato di matrimonio in quanto i nome risultano essere errati:

- dal certiciate do nascita Lei si chiam IGNAZIO e invece sl matrimonio e' scritto IGNATIUS J. E

- il nome di sua mglie resulta essere ELANOR L. invece di ELEANORE LYDIA

Si prega voler far correggere l'errore presso l'Ufficio di Stato Civile di NY e poi restituirlo, completo di apostille e traduzione per la relativa transcrizione in Itlalia. Ringraziando per la collaborazione, distinit saluti
We return your marriage certificate as the names result as incorrect.
- from the birth certificate he is called IGNAZIO and on the marriage certificate it is written as IGNATIUS J. E

- the name of his wife results as ELANOR L. instead of ELEANORE LYDIA.

We ask you to get these corrected at the State Records Office in New York and then return them complete with apostille and translation for the relative transcrription in Italy. Than you for your collaboration. Yours faithfully,

Not good news but hope this helps.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
jeniacono

Re: Translation help of letter in Italian from NYC consulate

Post by jeniacono »

Thank you. It was kind of a good news/bad news letter. My father's application was accepted and recorded in his commune in Favara - he is now an Italian citizen (yeah!) But all of his subsequent documents (his marriage, my birth, etc) use his anglicized name. I had thought this wouldn't need to be changed - all of our docs now need to change every use of Ignatius to Ignazio. They're also requiring my mother change a misspelling of her name on their marriage license. Tedious, but we'll get is done!