Going to Italy and requesting information

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Tamberino
Veteran
Veteran

Going to Italy and requesting information

Post by Tamberino »

I am going to Italia, Vaglio Basilicata to be precise, and am going to request the documents that I have requested by mail more than 5 times. I have a copy of my relatives Listo di Levio and a copy of his "presentation" to the town after his birth.

Does anyone have direct experience with requesting documents in person? Also, what should I expect?
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Going to Italy and requesting information

Post by Italysearcher »

Go to the Stato Civile or Anagrafe on your first available day around 10am. Present a written request if you don't speak Italian. If you have any trouble ask to speak to the mayor. Ask for permission to take photos of the records rather than have them prepare formal certificates. That is work and needs a signature etc. Sometimes its easier to let you take a photo. They will probably be very nice to you and if so don't mention that you have written 5 times.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Tamberino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tamberino »

Well, I need the formal documents as I am applying for dual citizenship. An Italian friend of mine told me it would be quite difficult to get. It might take a day or two.
trevisan2
Master
Master

Post by trevisan2 »

If your going to Italy you should be able to get the documents for free, just by asking for them at the comune or city center.

These city hall are overwhelmed with requests from all over the world for people wishing to get their dual citizenship records. At times the letters end up in the trash can. I have been there and seen it done.

If your only reason is to go to Italy and get the documents, I would contact some genealogy researchers or friends in Italy, to go to the comune and get the copies for you. There are a number of researchers that post of this site that could help you.

Regards,
Trevisan2
Researching in the provincia di Treviso, Italy, Provaglio Sopra, Val Sabbia of Brescia.
Domege di Cadore, Cavalo, Fumane, Verona

Forno di Rivara, TO, Canischio, TO
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

I have never had a problem getting certificates for citizenship purposes (motivo cittadinanza) in person. If you have the date and they have the 'atto' accessible they will do it on the spot. The only reason it should take a few days is if they have to go to the archives (usually in another building').
Like I said before, if you have a problem, ask to speak to the Mayor.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Tamberino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tamberino »

trivisan2, I am not only going there for the sole purpose of obtaining said document. My resource has lead me to family over there that we did not know of. They are from a different side of my family. I am going to see them. Also I lived in Italy for 10 months and never went to Rome. Now is my chance. Also I am going for $50 round trip (cashed in my miles)