Di Muzio and Di Loreto Families from Navelli (Civitaretenga)

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
shawnstocker

Di Muzio and Di Loreto Families from Navelli (Civitaretenga)

Post by shawnstocker »

Hello Everyone!!

I am collecting the docs to apply for recognition of my Italian Citizenship jus sanguinis through my Great-Great-Grandfather @ the Philly Consulate.

The MAJOR roadblock I have encountered is marriage records for my G-G-Grandfather and G-Grandfather. I have all other documents in hand, including the naturalization documents directly from the National Archives in Philadelphia.

My G-G-GrandFather immigrated to USA in 1902, but returned to Italy sometime between then and 1906 to court my G-G-GrandMother in his home village of Navelli. However, her father rejected the courtship and threatened to hang her if she married him. They eloped, and apparently were married somewhere in and between Navelli, IT and Windber, Pa- somewhere between 1905 and 1906.

I found the Ellis Island record for my Grandfather's first entry into the U.S., where he is listed as single.

On his naturalization certificate there is listed a second entry, through Boston, in February of '06. I've pored over that ship's manifest, however, to no avail.

Other than that reference on the citizenship application, I haven't been able to find any documentation regarding my G-G-GM arrival or my G-G-GF's second entry into the U.S. The naturalization documents similarly provide little details about his marital status, only listing his wife's name as his spouse...none of the other information is filled in.

My Great-grandfather supposedly married my great-grandmother in 1933 in Windber, but their marriage license was not issued in Somerset county. I called the 10 surrounding counties, to no avail. Their was no statewide registration of marriages in PA at this time, and a license could be purchased and used anywhere in the state. They may have possibly crossed the border to Maryland as well. Or possibly Chicago-they vacationed there prior to the conception of my grandmother.

As you can see, my family history includes some rather amorous love affairs- with a pitiful paper trail behind them.

I know for a fact all were married before my next closest ascendant was born. What should I do about this situation? Are there any substitutes for marriage certificates @ Philly? Or am I just S.O.L. on being an Italian?

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Grazie,

Shawn
vj
Master
Master

Re: Di Muzio and Di Loreto Families from Navelli (Civitarete

Post by vj »

Hi Shawn, welcome to the forum!

For everyone’s reference, is this the correct petition?
Carlo Di Muzio

Possible 1906 manifest, headed to Williamsburg (Blair County)
1906 Boston
shawnstocker

Post by shawnstocker »

Hello, VJ!

Thanks for the reply, yes, that is in fact the naturalization petition for my great-great-grandfather Carlo!

I've acquired everything except his Birth and Marriage Certificates, and the marriage certificate of his son, my great-grandfather, Dominick Adam Di Muzio.

Thanks in advance to everyone for the assistance!

Shawn
nbuffenmyer

Post by nbuffenmyer »

Hi Shawn,

I just stumbled across your post and because it's nearly a year old, I know it's very possible you may have found your information already. But in case you haven't, I'll contribute what I know. I don't know if it will be of any help to you.

Carlo DiMuzio was my grandfather and his daughter, Diana, is my mother. She's 90 year old and one of four surviving siblings of your great-grandfather Dominick.

There appear to be three DiMuzio's listed near the bottom of the manifest though the name of the female listed beneath Carlo looks to be far from Eleanora. (Spellings are very suspect on these documents!) However the ages, age difference between Carlo and the woman listed under his name, the sexes, etc all seem to match up. Grandpa (Carlo) was born in 1881 and Grandma (Eleanora) in 1888 in or near L'Aquila/Navelli/Civitaretenga. My mother said they did live in Williamsburg, PA before moving to Windber. Williamsburg, PA is listed as their destination on the manifest.

My mother seems to think her brother Dominick may have been married in Chicago, so you may want to check that route, especially if they went there around that time.

The story of Carlo and Eleanora eloping is amazing! My mother never even heard that!

I'd love to see any other information you might have about the family in Italy. The information is thinning out with only four sisters left.

Best of luck and hope to hear good news about your search.
Nancy