Joya/Gioia Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
CDJoya

Joya/Gioia Family

Post by CDJoya »

Hey all! I have recently taken an interest in my family history, and well, I've only gone back 3 generations before I hit a brick wall. :?

I'm trying to look up my Great-grandfather's parents' names. His name (before it was Americanized) was Antonino Dominic Gioia. After Americanization, it was Anthony Dominic Joya.

So far, I know this much about him: He was supposedly born in 1909 (I doubt this, because he came over to the US around that time), and according to EllisIslandRecords.org, he came from Castellamare (?), Sicily. My grandfather (his son) has his records -- naturalization, marriage certificate, and surprisingly, his birth certificate (I think)! It's in Italian, but I think my boyfriend can help me with translating it. :)

I was wondering if anyone could help me out?
tammara

Re: Joya/Gioia Family

Post by tammara »

If you already have a copy of his birth and marriage certificate this web site can help you translate!!! Or you could link to a photo of the certificates for some help.

Chapter 2 has examples of the birth certificates in which his parents names will be on

http://immigrants.byu.edu/Downloads/Ita ... efault.htm
Researching my family from Quadrelle in Avellino
Petraglia * Guliano * Conte * Masuccio * Fiordellisi * di Lucia * Bianco
barbalatte

Post by barbalatte »

Tamarra, I see your resurching the "Guliano" name. That wouldn't be "Giuliano" would it, because that's what I'm researching!

We are from Napoli and live in Sydney, Australia.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear CD Gioia for starters there are two Castellamare. One is Castellamare del Golfo, Trapani province Sicily and the other is Castellamare di Stabia, naples province Campania.

Next if you wish to familiarize yiourself with Italiuan genelaogy so that you can ask pointed questions go to the following website
http://www.angelfire,com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/free_genelogy_research.html
This will orient you and then get back to us for any additonal information you may wish...like documents from the town of origin for ANTONINO DOMENICO GIOIA and researching records of your family fromthe microfilm records of your nearest Mormon church family history library. =Peter=
~Peter~
CDJoya

Post by CDJoya »

To everyone: thanks for your speedy replies :)

As for documents go, I do have most of his items, such as immigration papers, birth certificate and more. I'll scan them and post them asap...

And I just realized I put the papers as .pdf, not .jpeg. :? And the file is too big. Erg.
CDJoya

Post by CDJoya »

PeterTimber wrote:Dear CD Gioia for starters there are two Castellamare. One is Castellamare del Golfo, Trapani province Sicily and the other is Castellamare di Stabia, naples province Campania.

Next if you wish to familiarize yiourself with Italiuan genelaogy so that you can ask pointed questions go to the following website
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html
This will orient you and then get back to us for any additonal information you may wish...like documents from the town of origin for ANTONINO DOMENICO GIOIA and researching records of your family fromthe microfilm records of your nearest Mormon church family history library. =Peter=
Hmm... According to Ellis Island records, he came from the one in Sicily. But I won't hold it true until I actually see it.

As for Italian genealogy link, it didn't work for me until I changed it to:
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Typos however small are lethal so thank you for finding and making things whole. =Peter=
~Peter~
CDJoya

Post by CDJoya »

OK! Update!

So, I have had my friend translate what I thought was my great-grandfather's birth certificate, only to have him tell me it was his exit visa (I think). Turns out, the top of the certificate says:

"Comune di Termini Imerese"

Which means: City of Termini Imerese. Which is in Sicily, I think. So now where to go? We are having a hard time reading the handwriting as well...
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

CDJoya wrote:... So now where to go? We are having a hard time reading the handwriting as well...
Hello!
Have you tried uploading your documents to an imagehosting service like imageshack http://www.imageshack.us/ or photobucket http://photobucket.com/
You can copy the 'direct link' address of your document onto your post.

Also, if you haven't tracked down your g-grandfather's US records, you may want to.
Census & military records, for a start, can contain important clues.
If you don't have a subscription to ancestry - many members here do.
We can help you look, but would need a few more details on your g-grandfather & his family.
Valarie
CDJoya

Post by CDJoya »

Thanks Valarie.

Well, the only information I have for him include:

Certificate of Citizenship
Identification card for Donald F. Phillips, Chevrolet Aviation
Certificate of Marriage
Certificate of Literacy
New York State Employees' Retirement System
And that certificate that I had my friend translate.

I'm going to give a call to all of the local cemeteries, and see what happens.