Peter Carswell born 1859 Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Balianjo

Peter Carswell born 1859 Italy

Post by Balianjo »

Trying to find any info. on Peter Carswell who, according to the 1891 Scottish census was born in Italy (don't know the area), about 1859. He lived in the Camlachie area of Glasgow and was an ice cream maker. He lived with his wife Elizabeth McNamara their 2 children, Helen b. 1886 & John b.1888.
This is the only record of him I can find. There are no marriage or death certificates and I'm wondering if they did in fact marry. He died before 1901 as he is not in this census although his wife & children are & living in Dundee.
I have a death cert. for Elizabeth & one for her 2nd marriage. I also have a marriage & death cert. for their daughter Helen but can find nothing on Peter.

Can anyone help?

:arrow: P.S. Suzyblu if you are still a member can you get in touch. I read your posts from 2006/7 and think we are looking for the same person.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Peter Carswell born 1859 Italy

Post by wldspirit »

You can private message the member Suzyblu and let her know of the possible connection. Look for the PM at the bottom of her post.
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Did you try www.scotsitalian.com? =peter=
daddymuzza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daddymuzza »

I have seen this querie on the lanarkshire family forum ?,I have Carswells from the Monklands area on my tree and i know of Carswell relations in the Camlachie /Parkhead area around the same time (westmuir st)
Perhaps the birth certificates of your Peter Carswells children will hold a clue
Are you in the Glasgow area cause the mitchell library holds poor law records for the lanarkshire area, which i have found to hold immense info on familys and their history

http://www.carswell.com.au/tng/index.php

http://carswell.com.au/carswell-connection
if yer no fast yer last !!!
Balianjo

Post by Balianjo »

Thanks daddymuzza for the websites. Will look in to those. I'd love to go to the Mitchell library to see if it holds info. but, although I am in Scotland it is still a distance away.
Out of the childrens' birth/death cert.'s I've found they don't provide much info. re Peter except they don't have him as deceased. His daughter Helen died 1928 & he is not mentioned as deceased. The 1st mention is on Elizabeth's (his wife) death cert in 1931. The 1901 census has her as a widow so why do none of the cert.'s for the children (marriage or death) have him as deceased? Also why does his occupation on their certificates vary. One minute he's a ret'd confectioner, the next an iron dresser or labourer.
In addition I cannot find a birth cert for Helen which would help greatly.
Can anyone provide answers? I'm probably missing the obvious!!
Balianjo

Post by Balianjo »

Finally found Peter's death certificate. It tells me his real name, Pietro Casoli, and the names of his parents. He was born about 1840 in Italy but I don't know in which area. Using this information, is there any way I would be able to trace his birth certificate?

Balianjo
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

in Italy BMD are in the city,town or even village of origin but in 1840 Italy was in the hands of the House of Savoy in Northern Italy which is most likely his area of origin. Do you have a copy of the actual certificate or is this information off a ledfger of some sort? =Peter=
~Peter~
Balianjo

Post by Balianjo »

Hi Peter,

I have the scanned image from scotlands people so it will be accurate. Can I contact someone regarding his birth cert. in the House of Savoy area?

Balianjo
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

After 1815 the House of Savoy was in control of Piedmonte -Sardinia and from Lombardia to venetia. Cities include Parma, Modena, Lucca Tuscany province, Papal States. The area is vast for such research. =Peter=
~Peter~
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Balianjo wrote:Finally found Peter's death certificate. It tells me his real name, Pietro Casoli, and the names of his parents. He was born about 1840 in Italy but I don't know in which area. Using this information, is there any way I would be able to trace his birth certificate?

Balianjo
I found a Peter Casoli who went to America he was listed as being born in a small town called MORNAGO which is in the Province of Varese. So it does fall within the House of Savoy area of Italy

>Mornago Map<.

The Italian Phone book still shows 4 Casoli living there
(you can view this in English too)

>Phone Book<

OK - I know it might not be the right one - but in the absence of anything else, it may be worth contacting the Comune there:

>Comune di Mornago<
Comune di Mornago
Piazza Libertà, 1
21020 MORNAGO (VA)
Italia

E-Mail: segreteria@comune.mornago.va.it

Fingers crossed...
elba
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

For your convenience, below is a link to a chart of Italy between 1820-1840. The area referred in the previous posts as the "House of Savoy area" is the light-green one and was called Regno di Sardegna.

http://cronologia.leonardo.it/it1815.htm

If the Peter (Pietro or Piero in Italian) Casoli that you are researching was born in Mornago, as suggested by Elba, I believe that you'd better write to the Church. There are 4 parishes, and below are the addresses:

Parr. Ss. Gaudenzio E Biagio
Vinago,
21020 Mornago
Italy

Parrocchia Di Crugnola
Via Goffredo Mameli,
21020 Mornago
Italy

Parrocchia S. Alessandro
Via Dante Alighieri,
21020 Mornago
Italy

Parrocchia S. Michele Arcangelo
Piazza Liberta'
21020 Mornago
Italy
Balianjo

Post by Balianjo »

Thank you all. I can only but try these various addresses to see if they will provide any answers.

Balianjo
Balianjo

Post by Balianjo »

Can anyone tell me if there are any passenger lists from Italy to UK before 1878. Pietro is not on the ancestry site but this could be because he moved to UK (Scotland) before 1878.

Also do I have to write in Italian to the above parish addresses? I'm assuming I do which could cause a problem as I don't speak Italian.

Balianjo
BenDenney

Post by BenDenney »

Not sure if this helps...have found only 6 Casoli's in all the BMD and census records for England and Wales, proper brick wall. Didn't think to check Scotland too! My great-great grandad was Celesto Casoli and had 2 kids in 1880s but died in 1890 before the census. His death cert had a witness as his cousin, reads as Varina Errilio. His kids were Charles an Francis. Is there a link?