From Italy to Venezuela

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: From Italy to Venezuela

Post by ptimber »

My sources told me that it is difficult to locate these records. Sorry Peter
emiroirausquin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by emiroirausquin »

That's ok,, I knew it is very dificult that is the reason why I am seekingsome help. I just found out that my great grandfather name was Francisco Antonio Sangiovanni and no Antonio as a first name as I though.
Anyway, I will post what I find about finding genealogy info in Venezuela so people can be informed and use it for future references if they need it.

Thank you so much for your efforts and dedication!

Emiro J. Irausquin S.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

If I hear from them I will contact you by a private message from this forum. Peter
emiroirausquin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by emiroirausquin »

Great! I will appreaciate any additional info,
Thanks!
emiroirausquin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by emiroirausquin »

Man!! that took me a while to go thorugh the Venezuelan phone book town by town. I only located two people with the Sangiovanni last name: Sangiovanni Magali (which you guys gave me) and Sangiovanny Flor de 268-253-1947 (cruz Verde town) She happens to be the wife of a half brother of my mother who we didn't know about. (isn't amazing what you can find out?). I talked to her and we are going to get together to talk about it a little more sometime in September.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I am very happy for the both of us..This took a bit of doing on your part. sorry I could not make it easier for you but it was the only way I was told. Peter
emiroirausquin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by emiroirausquin »

Peter, you are of GREAT HELP to all of us :o)

Peter,

I have been working on my family genealogy for quite some time. It has been a lot of work but let me tell you that it has been a lot of fun and excitement. – completely worth it. My two great-grandfathers (from my mother’s side) came from Italy. Their names were Luigi Rigali and Francesco A. Sangiovanni. So far I have completed the Rigali genealogy of my family, which was fairly easy because they emigrated to the United States. Fortunately for me, there is a vast amount of information and databases that can be used to locate their past in the States.
My other great-grandfather - Francesco A. Sangiovanni - emigrated to Venezuela and even though I have carried out a very, very extensive research on how to locate the info (ship manifests, etc.) in Venezuela it has been very difficult to make the progress I was expecting. I have located the main (active) ports and railroads during the 1850s – 1915s, to follow his possible routes/ ways in and out of the country during his trips but it seems to be almost impossible to locate information from those ports.

The main problem is that there are no databases available to search. Everything is done by hand and due to the lack of resources, organization and/or control of immigrations records by the government, people may have never been registered as immigrants at all.
I also discovered that Venezuelans were not allowed to have double citizenship; it wasn’t until 2001 when a new constitution was enacted making it possible. Maybe that’s one of the reasons nobody made an effort to locate those Archives before.

Anyway, I am not giving up. I have collected a lot of information about Italian immigration to Venezuela and I think I will build a site in the future to be used as reference.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I am surprised we got as far as we did but even IU learned a few things about the impossible!!. Peter
emiroirausquin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by emiroirausquin »

No kidding.

Guess what? I just found out that the Venezuelan Ministry of Justice contains the Ministry of Internal Affairs in it and they both have the equivalent of the NARA. It is called Archivo General de la Nación.
I am in the process of contacting them to see if they have records of ship manifests, etc. I am not sure what information they have. Their website states that they have a lot of information but it only makes refernece to documents pertaining to the Venezuelan Independency History.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Keep me posted old friend. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I have the website for the Archivo general de la nacion. Send me your e-mail so I can send it to you. Peter
emiroirausquin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by emiroirausquin »

Peter!
You've got mail,
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I have not received anything yet!!. Peter
infoseeker

Post by infoseeker »

I have been told that my family has also immigrated to Venezuela from Italy. It is encouraging to see that my famly is not the only one. I have never heard of anyone else's family immigrating to Venezuela from Italy until I started my research online. The family lineage name that I am researching is Caruso. Thank you to all those who are posting valuable information that I have been using to continue my research. Especially the reply with the family names that immigrated to Venezuela from Suanj, that list has encouraged me to look further and not give up. Thanks again.
emiroirausquin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by emiroirausquin »

infoseeker.

Hi!,, What info are you looking for in Venezuela? I may be able to help you a little with that.