Can't read handwriting - help

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
lilbees
Master
Master

Can't read handwriting - help

Post by lilbees »

Could use some help on the baptism record for this person.

Date of baptism
Names, ages, profession of Godparents

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq32 ... 001tif.jpg

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq32 ... 002tif.jpg

Thank you,
lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: Can't read handwriting - help

Post by JohnArmellino »

Angela Catalano was baptized on 11 SEP 1855 (the record itself is dated 30 SEP 1855). The witnesses appear to be Salvadore Sferlazza, age 40, campiero (perhaps a variation of campiere, which means field worker), and Giacomo Tella (not sure of this surname), age 46, ferraio (blacksmith). I can't seem to find any godparents named in the record. I find that godparents are usually named in the church records, if at all.
John Armellino
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Thank you JOhn. I was really hoping for the godparents names. I have written the church to see if I can get the baptismal certificate from them. It has been 2 months and nothing as yet.

Will try to send a follow up letter tomorrow.

Thank you again for the information.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

In a book I am currently reading which is actually about the Black Hand in Chicago, there is an explanation of the occupation "campiero" According to Professor Lombardo who wrote the book, campieri were "armed guards" who were hired to work for the large estates owned by the wealthy barons. They were under the supervision of the gabellotti who were the managers of the estates. While it was the job of the gabellotti to settle disputes among the workers, or peasant laborers, it was the job of the campieri to maintain order over the countryside (p.124).
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Ahhh! Memories!

Will have to get that book. For many years there had been some talk of the participation of some family members in all of this. Now I am talking about the late 30s and early 40s. The book should make some good reading for background.

Thanks maestra36.

lilbees
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The Black Hand operated primarily between 1905 and 1920 in cities like Chicago and New York. I have been doing quite a bit of research on that subject because I am trying to get my many years of family history research written into book form for my sons and I want the story of the ancestors to be in historical context. My ancestors were all in the NYC area, and not in the Chicago area, but the information still applies. I also read another interesting book which referred to the subject in NYC and that was the book Elizabeth Street by Laurie Fabiano. Although a novel, it is based on historical facts. I would classify it as historical fiction.
Peg
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Will have to look into the books you have talked about. Will make interesting reading.

I think the "Black Hand" history is interesting. But, I also think many men back in the era felt implying belong to a group like that would be more manly. It is like so many thinking their families are from Calabria rather than more northern, sic: gentler areas of Italy. Again, tougher appearance.

lilbees