Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
I've been reading some Sicilian records (births & deaths). When referring to the husband, they usually state his occupation. When they refer to the wife, sometimes they will say she is the wife (moglie) or sometimes they will say what she does (filandaia), but I have also seen some records where they say the wife is "volgare". What does that really mean?
Thanks,
Bette
You can easily verify the meaning of "volgare" on a dictionary (for example: http://www.wordreference.com/iten/volgare ) but i'm not sure that the officier wrote exactly that word. I think this is a very odd term referred to a woman.
L.
il 95% della popolazione faceva parte allora del cosidetto "volgo"... quindi lo ritengo poco "caratterizzante". Propendo più per una lettura errata o qualcosa di simile.
My mom and dad came from two very different classes of Italian society. Dad's mom came from a very aristocrat family and mom's came from farmers and agricultural workers. When my mom's parents came to the US, they left their oldest son Giovanni in the care of my maternal grandmother's parents. I hea...