I have been trying to obtain my great grandmother's birth extract from Ottaviano (1888). I have sent two letters, one in December ( w/ 5 US dollars and an IRC), and most recently in late February (sent registered mail with another IRC and received a signature card over two months ago so I know it was received). I have not had any response as of yet. Her town of origin, Ottaviano, is clearly written on her marriage extract from 1911.
Should I be concerned? Do I need to write a third letter or am I just wasting my time? Thanks for your comments.
blujay
No return mail from Italy
Re: No return mail from Italy
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: No return mail from Italy
When you write to the mayor don't enclose money nor IRC.
Re: No return mail from Italy
Great point Livio.....
I would think he would be insulted!!!!!
Lee
I would think he would be insulted!!!!!
Lee
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Re: No return mail from Italy
Hi - we just got back from Italy - we visited Itri and Campodimele - both communes declined any offers of stamped envelopes or any other form of payments - in both instances, they were THRILLED anyone from the US was tracing family - and both gave us books and such as "welcome home" gifts! They also both suggested staying in touch via email as the research is not digitized yet so it is slow going for them and fitted in around other work.Now granted my husband is still a citizen and was born there but the folks went above and beyond - and they gave us this is the way they treat all requests. They are limited what they can give direct viewing access to people due to the privacy laws but they do want to give you as much information as possible. Try email and then follow up - if it is for genealogy only mention that - because they need to stamp some other way for citizenship stuff.
http://valentinoswife.wordpress.com
Researching DiCrocco, Pannozzo Families of Itri, Italy
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... opannozzo/
Researching DiCrocco, Pannozzo Families of Itri, Italy
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... opannozzo/
Re: No return mail from Italy
Can anyone confirm the mayor of Ottaviano as Mario Iervolino?liviomoreno wrote:When you write to the mayor don't enclose money nor IRC.
Re: No return mail from Italy
Thank you wldspirit!wldspirit wrote:Follow up with a letter to the mayor which can be found at the following site:
Sindaco
wldspirit
I just composed a letter to the mayor of Ottaviano using the website you provided.
Re: No return mail from Italy
Yes, I found this to be true myself. I have sent many letters and emails to Grottaglie, Nocera-Inferiore, Solofra, and Abriola and have gotten timely and helpful responses. The exception has been Ottaviano. I have sent 2 letters (1 registered) and 4 emailsbonval wrote:Hi - we just got back from Italy - we visited Itri and Campodimele - both communes declined any offers of stamped envelopes or any other form of payments - in both instances, they were THRILLED anyone from the US was tracing family - and both gave us books and such as "welcome home" gifts! They also both suggested staying in touch via email as the research is not digitized yet so it is slow going for them and fitted in around other work.Now granted my husband is still a citizen and was born there but the folks went above and beyond - and they gave us this is the way they treat all requests. They are limited what they can give direct viewing access to people due to the privacy laws but they do want to give you as much information as possible. Try email and then follow up - if it is for genealogy only mention that - because they need to stamp some other way for citizenship stuff.
(w/ automated delivery status notifications) with absolutely no response. It's as if I never sent anything. I don't quite understand.

