Forte in Belfast

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
darkisland

Forte in Belfast

Post by darkisland »

I am trying to get information about a Rocco Forte who was my Grandfather. My father Sidney Forte was born in 1918 His mother, Cecilia Reeves wife of Rocco died in 1920 and at the time of her death she was registered as being a widow which means Rocco died between 1918 and 1920. My father who is sadly dead now spent his life searching for family he thought he had so now I feel it is my duty to carry on the search and with todays technology to help I hope I will come up with something.

Sid
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Forte in Belfast

Post by ptimber »

I admire your pluck but there are more than 1000 cities,towns and villages with persons hvaing the Forte surname in Italy. Is there any shred of anything...like an old postcard, photograph envelope with cancelled stamps...anything. Did he die in World War !?? peter
darkisland

Post by darkisland »

It seems almost certain that he died in Belfast, Northern Ireland where my father was born. I am waiting to see if the Irish authorities can come up with a death certificate. I have started this search with very little to go on but I shall keep trying.

Sid
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

why is there a problem withthe death certificate??? Peter
darkisland

Post by darkisland »

I can't give them an accurate date of his death and the Registration Office do not carry out searches for you.

Sid
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

What about the church where they said mass, if any, when he died?? Peter
raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by raymo »

You may also want to check with the British civil, municipal & military authorities, rather than the Irish ones, as Northern Ireland has always belonged to the British in modern times.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I think when he says Irish he means Northern Ireland Irish who are in effect British but still irish. The British don't occupy Northern Irleand it is part of England. Peter
raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by raymo »

Peter,
Sid's ancestor would have been a British, not Irish, subject, therefore, the records Sid seeks would be in British hands, wouldn't they? Northern Ireland has never been in Irish hands, always British.

Sid, not to overly intrude nor confuse, but please explain your meaning when you say "Irish".
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Thats what I said they are british but by are irish by culture and identity. Peter