grandfather's citizenship papers

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
liltally
Rookie
Rookie

grandfather's citizenship papers

Post by liltally »

Hi Everyone

I sent a request to Comune di San Biagio Platani Provincai Di Agrigento Ufficio Dello Stato Civile for my grandfathers citizen papers. They sent me back a note stating they could only give me his birth & marriage. Does anyone know if maybe I should be writting to someplace different...any help appreciated
Ciao Grazie
Jeanette
corrado
Elite
Elite

Re: grandfather's citizenship papers

Post by corrado »

If you grandfather was born in Italy he was an Italian citizen, there are no citizenship papers. Are you trying to get dual citizenship? If so start with getting the extract of his birth record and the marriage record. You then need to find out if he naturalized in the usa. Bye the way welcome to the club, this is a long process, but a lot shorter than it was in years past. good luck.
teddi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by teddi »

If you grandfather was born in Italy he was an Italian citizen, there are no citizenship papers.
Not necessarily- not if the parents aren't Italian.

Ask them for a document stating he was an Italian citizen- the anagrafe can print out a certificato di cittadinanza with a press of a button.
liltally
Rookie
Rookie

Post by liltally »

Thank You Both
I already have these documents.. extract of birth record, marriage record, naturalization papers, the anagrafe is the one that sent the note but I will try again. Maybe there not understanding what I need I will word it differently. But I don't seem to understand if I'm giving them the Italian birth certificate and marriage certificate shouldn't that prove they were citizens... thanks again for responding the people on this site are great...
Ciao Grazie
Jeanette
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jwazevedo »

My local consulate told me to ask for a “Certificato di trascorso possesso della cittadinanza italianaâ€
liltally
Rookie
Rookie

Post by liltally »

Thank you
Ciao Grazie
Jeanette
capo1

Post by capo1 »

I am going through the same situation, except with my GGF and GGM. But you seem to be further along in your process.

I am replying with a question though, how much $ or Euro do you send with your request of any record, if any?

I know the letter should be in Italian with return postage, but I am not sure of the record search fee.

Thanks for any help.
liltally
Rookie
Rookie

Post by liltally »

To be honest when I sent away for my grandparents information I sent postage (there called coupons) I bought at the US post office and the Italian registry sent it back. They didn't even use the self addresed envelope I sent. And this last time I sent a fax and explained if any money was needed please let me know. But my firest time and I know they say don't send cash I enclosed $10.00 and made sure to state it in the letter. When I was in Italy they didn't ask my friend for any money for a search fee she just offered..so as far as I know they have no search fee unlike the Americans who charge us for everything....
Ciao Grazie
Jeanette
capo1

Post by capo1 »

Great, thank you, one last question, did you put you request into any type of pre-required "form"? Or did you just write a letter with all the pertanent information.
liltally
Rookie
Rookie

Post by liltally »

NO I just wrote a letter stating my grandfathers and grandmothers info started with nono's info his name date of birth.. fathers name.. mothers maiden name.
Then nana's info in the same manner. My son's bought me a new computer and haven't changed everything over yet if it gets done today I will send you the letter and you will just have to change the comune...
Ciao Grazie
Jeanette
capo1

Post by capo1 »

Ask them for a document stating he was an Italian citizen- the anagrafe can print out a certificato di cittadinanza with a press of a button.
My local consulate told me to ask for a “Certificato di trascorso possesso della cittadinanza italianaâ€
capo1

Post by capo1 »

liltally
Rookie
Rookie

Post by liltally »

Thanks for thinking of me I finally gave up after 3x's on doing this one for myself and took the advise of one of the gentlemen that wrote me back and payed Bianca from my Italian family to get it for me. hoping she has better luck its the only thing I need. But I wrote it down anyway.. Good luck to you its actually been very exciting acquiring all the paper work I am now in the apostille stage..
Ciao Grazie
Jeanette