A place called Vellanase?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
ALEdwards

A place called Vellanase?

Post by ALEdwards »

The grandson recalls his grandfather, Giovanni (later John) Carbone, coming from a place in Italy, that sounded like Vellanase? I've tried searching various spellings, but have yet to find a location. Does anyone have an idea of what place this might be?

I was suggested Avellino might be possible, as their residents were called Avellenese. But i'm curious if there are other options.

I know nothing about researching in Italy, so I'm rather at a loss.

Thanks in advance.
vj
Master
Master

Re: A place called Vellanase?

Post by vj »

Hello!
We're guessing Giovanni Carbone immigrated to the US?
We would be happy to help you look for a ship manifest, US military registration card or naturalization record - chances are one of these will have the town in Italy on them
When was John Carbone born, where did he live in the US? Family members?
Thanks, Valarie
ALEdwards

Post by ALEdwards »

Assuming Giovanni was at least 15 when he had his first children, then he was most certainly born before 1905. He had a son John, born c 1920 in Boston, Massachusetts. He died 15 dec 1976. I don't know when Giovanni died yet. I also don't know the name of his wife. I believe their were at least a couple other children. I don't know any names, yet, though.

John married a Grace Orlando (b 17 aug 1917 in San Diego, CA). and had 3 children. John, Joseph, and Timothy. Timothy is the one who said his grandfather was from Villanese (no idea on spelling or location. just by sound). I am doing this research for Tim's daughter, Nicole.

I don't yet have any more information, as I only just started out recently on this surname. I don't believe Giovanni or John were in the military tho. Nicole recalls no mention of anyone serving.

Not sure if it matters, but they pronounce theirs Car-bone-ee. at least since Giovanni's son.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Thank you!
We'll see what we can do to help.
Valarie
---

Incorrect family

Here's one possibility:

1920 census

John Carbone born abt 1886 immig abt 1905

1918 WWI Draft Registration Card
same address as 1920 census
born 4 Jun 1885

---
1921 naturalization index card

1919 Declaration of Intention
Publication Number: M1368
Publication Title: Petitions and Records of Naturalizations of the U.S. District and Circuit Courts of the District of Massachusetts, 1906-1929
Publisher: NARA
State: Massachusetts
Short Description: NARA M1368. Petitions and Records of Naturalizations of the US District and Circuit Courts of the District of Massachusetts, 1906-1929.
Court: U.S. District Court
Year: 1919
Date: 03 Feb 1919
Immigrant Full Name: Giovanni Antonio Carbone
Document Type: Declaration of Intention
Home Country: Italy
Year Immigrated: 1901
---

1901 manifest
same date as 1919 Declaration of Intention
Giovanni Antonio Carbone b abt 1885 and his father headed to Boston
---

If this is the correct family I don't think we found the location in Italy...

Valarie
ALEdwards

Post by ALEdwards »

Thank you. I appreciate it!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Incorrect family

From the manifest, Giovanni and his father's last residence was Lapio, Province of Avellino, Campania. Lapio is 80 km from Naples - where Giovanni said he was born on his Declaration of Intention.

If this isn't the correct family, we can try again!

Valarie
ALEdwards

Post by ALEdwards »

I missed the posting the first time around, sorry about that. I've looked it over and talked with Nicole. Apparently there was military in the family. John, Giovanni's son, served in the military. Likely WWII giving his age. I haven't had a chance to speak with Tim yet tho, to see if he knows of Giovanni serving or not.

I put out a request on rootsweb to try to find the obit for John the son. to see if i can get a mother's name, or any more info, to know if that's the same Giovanni or not. Hopefully someone will be able to find it for me, so I can know for sure.

Thanks so much for you time and help!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Incorrect family

Hello,
This may help
Here is a record for John's sister's birth from NEHGS
(Teresa from the 1920 census)
Valarie

Boston
Vol 2 Page 270
Record # 15379
Born 16 Oct 1915
Teresa Carbone
parents:
Giovanni
Rosa Barrasso
physician:
H Finkelstein
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Incorrect family

Possibly related records:
Obituary for John's brother Angelo Carbone (from the 1920 census)
Republican, The (Springfield, MA) - April 6, 2006
Deceased Name: Angelo M. Carbone
1917 - 2006
WILBRAHAM - Angelo M. Carbone, 88, of 28 Miles Morgan Court, died peacefully at home on Saturday. Born on April 8, 1917 in Boston, he was the son of the late Giovanni and Rosa (Barassa) Carbone. His wife, Laura (Teodorczyk) Carbone and son, John A. Carbone predeceased him. He is survived by three children: Frank Carbone and his wife Ruth Ann of Billerica; Joseph Carbone and his wife Sachiko of Mililani, Hawaii; and Angela Carbone and her husband David Bernstein of Wilbraham; 13 grandchildren and 17 great-grandchildren. He cherished his family and faith. Contributions in memory of Angelo's life may be made to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, 501 St. Jude Place, Memphis, TN 38105.
Edition: ALL
Page: B04
Boston Globe, The (MA) - April 7, 2006
Deceased Name: CARBONE, Angelo M.
CARBONE, Angelo M.
Of Wilbraham. Formerly of Revere, Billerica & Chelsea, on April 1st. Beloved husband of the late Laura (Teodorczyk). Devoted father of Frank & his wife Ruth Ann of Billerica, Joseph and his wife Sachiko of HI, Angela Carbone and her husband David Bernstein of Wilbraham & the late John & his surviving wife Carole. Dear brother of the late Teresa Comperchio, John Carbone and his surviving wife Helen of the North End. Also survived by 13 grandchildren & 17 great grandchildren. Funeral from the Paul Buonfiglio & Sons - Bruno Funeral Home, 128 Revere Street, REVERE on Saturday, April 8 at 8:00am. Funeral mass in St. Stanislaus Church at 9:00am. Relatives and friends are kindly invited. Visiting hours Friday 4-8. In lieu of flowers donations may be made to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, 501 St. Jude Place, Memphis TN, 38105-1905 or St. Cecilia Church, 42 Main St., Wilbraham, MA 01095. Late WWII Army Vet. Member of the Falcon Knoll Social Club. Interment in Holy Cross Cemetery.
Paul Buonfiglio & Sons-Bruno
Funeral Home
www.Buonfiglio.com
Obituary for sister Teresa
Boston Globe, The (MA) - February 13, 2003
Deceased Name: COMPERCHIO, Teresa C. (Car bone)
COMPERCHIO, Teresa C. (Carbone)
of Hyde Park in CT. Feb. 10. Beloved wife of the late Michael J. Mother of Rosemary Casale of Avon, CT, Ann Coles of Uxbridge & Nancy C. Bevivino of Canton. Sister of Angelo Carbone of Billerica. Also survived by 5 grand-sons and 2 great grand-daughters. Funeral Mass at St. Gerard Majella Church, Canton, Fri. morning at 10:00. Visiting hours at The Dockray & Thomas Funeral Home, 455 Washington St., CANTON, Thursday, 5-8 PM. Interment Blue Hills Cemetery, Braintree. Donations may be made in her memory to The Norwoood Hospital Emergency Room Fund, 800 Washington St. Norwood, MA 02062
1921 Petition for Naturalization

includes children's birth dates
(no doubt Giovanni went by memory, dates are off a bit)
Teresa 19 Sep 1915
Angelo 12 May 1917
John 18 Oct 1919

Publication Number: M1368
Publication Title: Petitions and Records of Naturalizations of the U.S. District and Circuit Courts of the District of Massachusetts, 1906-1929
Publisher: NARA
Short Description: NARA M1368. Petitions and Records of Naturalizations of the US District and Circuit Courts of the District of Massachusetts, 1906-1929.
Court: U.S. District Court
Year: 1921
Date: 18 Feb 1921
Immigrant Full Name: Giovanni Antonio Carbone
Document Type: Petition for Naturalization
Home Country: Italy
Witness 1 Full Name: Charles T. Harrington
Witness 2 Full Name: Faunce Mac Donald
Year Immigrated: 1901
ALEdwards

Post by ALEdwards »

It's still tough to tell if they're ours or not. IT seems like it matches up. I figure John was born late 1919, early 1920. But the surname is rather popular around here. If i can just get John's actual obit, it would probably be much help. No responses to my request yet, but I'm hopeful. If not, I may have to make the trek into Boston to look it up myself.

Thanks for all this. Hopefully it is our Giovanni, since there is so much info here. Thanks so much for your time! I will keep posted if I find more info!
ALEdwards

Post by ALEdwards »

I got the obit for John at the library today. I decided to make a run in. It doesn't look like this Giovanni is ours. :(

My John has siblings:
Patrick (p.k.a. Pasquale)
Ida (appears to never have married)
Sylvia (married a Santosuosso)
Carmella (married a Ciampa)

At least I have siblings. But now I am still stuck for a location. :\ at least til i find a death for Giovanni and see if I can find an obit for him. :\
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Great information :D !
We can try again.
I'll mark the records as 'incorrect family' so we don't get the families mixed up.
Valarie
---

possible 1930 census
page 2

Home in 1930:
92 Prince Street, rents $22
Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts

head Pasquale Carbone 55, abt 1875 IT
- married age 40, abt 1915
- immig 1900, Na
- grocer, store
wife Mallie Carbone 42, abt 1888 IT
- married age 27
- immig 1910, Na
daughter Carmella Carbone 14, abt 1916 MA
daughter Silvia Carbone 12, abt 1918 MA
son John Carbone 8, abt 1922 MA
daughter Ida Carbone 6, abt 1924 MA
son Pasquale Carbone 4, abt 1926 MA
---

probable 1920 census

Home in 1920:
94 Prince Street, rents
Boston Ward 5, Suffolk, Massachusetts

head Bequal (Pasquale) Carbone 35, abt 1885 IT
- immig 1891, Na 1902
- manager, grocery store
wife Amelinda Carbone 27, abt 1893 IT
- immig 1909, Na 1902
daughter Carmella Carbone 3, abt 1917 MA
daughter Cecilia Carbone 1 6/12, abt 1918 MA
ALEdwards

Post by ALEdwards »

that certainly looks like all the children in the 1920 option. It's possibly Tim remembered his grandfather's name incorrectly, or that maybe Pasquale was a middle name, or vise versa. I will keep that as a strong option. Once I can try to find out more, birthdates and such, maybe it will line up. The age doesn't like up exact with jOhn's estimation, but it's still close enough. If that is them in 1920 too, then the Cecilia likely died young.

I see a SSDI listing that may be this Pasquale as well, putting him as dying in 1968, residing in Chelsea, Ma, which is near enough to all possible cities.

This is a huge help, thank you!! Now, just need to find a record of John's that lists his parentage for sure. Do military draft records show parentage or anything?
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi!

Possible WWI Draft card for Pasquale Carbone:

Living in Boston, 91 Prince street (matches with Vj's censuses found :) ) nearest relative wife Belinda Carbone.

Unfortunately no place of birth listed....

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Pasquale Carbone
Name: Pasquale Carbone
City: Boston
County: Suffolk
Birth Date: 17 May 1874
Race: White
Roll: 1684774
DraftBoard: 4

[img=http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/6034/carbonewwi.th.jpg]

Laura
ALEdwards

Post by ALEdwards »

thank you very much. this seems like it should be the family, though I'm still reluctant to add them until I have an actual record.

i really appreciate all your help! This site is great! I'm glad I found it while googling! :D