Peres? or Perez?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
borderline
Rookie
Rookie

Peres? or Perez?

Post by borderline »

Hi,
I just found the birth certificate of my great-great grandmother on my father's mother's side.

Rosaria Napoli
b.11/27/1865

Her parents are listed, and the mother's name is unusual, I think, for Italy, it appears to be Carmela Peres or Perez, could you confirm the spelling based on this photo? I'm guessing this must be a Spanish name, which is interesting. The Peres birth year must be around 1836. Thanks!

maribor

Re: Peres? or Perez?

Post by maribor »

It seems to be an "s" (Peres).
Good luck with your research,
Maribor from Argentina
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

It's Peres.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

The name Peres appears in about 100 communities in Italy.

http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html
maribor

Post by maribor »

Peres ha un ceppo nell'udinese che dovrebbe derivare da una versione dialettale del nome Pero derivato da Piero che è una modificazione del nome Pietro, ha ceppi nel napoletano, nel foggiano ed in Sicilia, Perez ha vari ceppi in Sicilia, nel napoletano e nel brindisino, di chiara origine spagnola dovrebbe trattarsi di un patronimico dal nome spagnolo Pero (Pietro) con l'aggiunta del suffisso -ez per figlio di, o di una sua modificazione.

Tratto da "L'origine dei cognomi"
maribor

Post by maribor »

Also I've found this explanation about the surname PERES:

El popular apellido Peres , muchas veces escrito Perez, con la terminación idiomática española.
Pero no es apellido de orígen español sino la palabra hebrea que designa los capítulos en que la Torah (los cinco libros de Moisés), se divide para su lectura semanal, a efectos de completar en todo el año la lectura de la Torah.

The popular surname Peres, also written Perez, with its Spanish idiomatic ending.
It isn't from Spanish origin but a Hebrei word for the chapters in which is divided the Torah (the five Moses' books) that must be read weekly, so that to finish its reading at the end of the year.
borderline
Rookie
Rookie

Post by borderline »

Thanks for the info! Very interesting.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Depending on what part of Italy your family is from, this certainly could indicate Spanish origins, especially in North Western Sicily.
borderline
Rookie
Rookie

Post by borderline »

JamesBianco wrote:Depending on what part of Italy your family is from, this certainly could indicate Spanish origins, especially in North Western Sicily.
They are from Milazzo, in the NE part of Sicily.
drmillhous

Post by drmillhous »

Hi Borderline,
I have been trying to contact you regarding your Milazzo families. I have been researching my family back to the mid-1700s and have many names from Milazzo, including Caragliano and Napoli. Would you like to trade info?
borderline
Rookie
Rookie

Post by borderline »

drmillhous wrote:Hi Borderline,
I have been trying to contact you regarding your Milazzo families. I have been researching my family back to the mid-1700s and have many names from Milazzo, including Caragliano and Napoli. Would you like to trade info?
Yes. You can email me. I'll try to send a PM.
MSanchez

Post by MSanchez »

My experience is that names that end in "s" like that instead of "z" are Portugues names. For example, Lopez is Spanish and Lopes is the same name in Portuguese.
borderline
Rookie
Rookie

Post by borderline »

Well, the plot thickens. Previously I had posted the parents' names on the birth certificate, now I found the parents' marriage certificate, and wouldn't you know it, the name was then spelled with a "z". So I don't know if the spelling was changed, or if we are dealing with a typo by the person recording the name. I guess I'll find out when I find Carmela Perez's birth certificate eventually. Interesting development though!