Italian Name: Napolitano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
xoxlisalisaxox

Italian Name: Napolitano

Post by xoxlisalisaxox »

I'm trying to find out information about my great great grandmother Filomeno Napolitano. She was born about 1880 and died prior to 1952. (have been unable to obtain the exact date of death) and migrated to the united states/New York in 1909 per the 1910 census. I have been told that she was originally from Naples. She resided in White Plains NY. She came over with two of her children, Theresa and Amele, however, the census indicates their names as Tessie and Annello. Her Maiden name was Tanzillo. I have been searching Passenger records and have been unable to locate anything! It also seems that she was married over in Italy to her husband Felix/Felice. Is there a way to obtain marriage records in Italy?? I have found her husbands Passenger information, he came over in 1901. If anybody has any information, please help!!
vj
Master
Master

Re: Italian Name: Napolitano

Post by vj »

Hello!
Here's a good possibility
Valarie

1909 manifest
page 2

11 Jul 1909 SS Luisiana, Naples to NY
lines 22-24

Filomena Tansillo 30 (abt 1879)
- last residence Caserta, (?)
- in Caserta (?), mother Rosa Fusco
- destination Carbondale, PA
- joining husband Felice Napolitano at 94(?) Hospital St
- born in Avellino, Avella
(comune of Avella, province of Avellino, Campania)
(daughter) Teresa 8 (abt 1901)
- has possible naturalization notation
son Aniello 4 (abt 1905)
- has possible naturalization notation

best guess at last residence: Castel Campagnano, Province of Caserta, Campania
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

xoxlisalisaxox wrote:... It also seems that she was married over in Italy to her husband Felix/Felice.
Is there a way to obtain marriage records in Italy?? ...
Usually they would marry in the bride's comune.
There should be a copy of the marriage record in Avella

Italian form letter generator with instructions:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Address:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Avella
Piazza Municipio
83021 Avella AV
ITALY
http://www.nonsolocap.it/campania/90-avella/

Website for finding comune addresses:
http://www.nonsolocap.it/
xoxlisalisaxox

Post by xoxlisalisaxox »

Thank you soooo much for this information. It was the correct document that matched my Great Great Grandmother. I'm very grateful for the information. I will definately follow up for the Marriage Certificate! Thanks again!!!!
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

Hi! I noticed you are researching the Napolitano name - so am I. My Napolitano ancestors were also from Avella and immigrated in 1908, settling in the New York area. (Sorry - I do not recognize the names on this thread - however, I am in the process of writing to the commune for birth/marriage, etc. info. Hopefully I will gain further insight into my Napolitano tree (i.e., who her parents were, any brothers, sisters, etc.) and would be happy to share any info I receive from the commune. You never know - we might have common relatives.

Was hoping if you obtain info from the Avella commune, you would also consider sharing. (There is also another person on this board researching Napolitano, and she has asked me to contact her when I receive my info.) Perhaps we can all PM to help each other.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!
xoxlisalisaxox

Post by xoxlisalisaxox »

Hi Taxi-
I would definately be interested in sharing information especially if there is some relation with the Napolitano's that we are getting info on. I am going to be sending the letter to Avello to see if I can get information. The problem that I'm having is I'm not sure when my relatives were married and that's one thing that I will need when requesting that info. What part of new york where your relatives from??
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

Hi - my Napolitano's lived in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and the immediate Metro surrounding area. (Although I am still trying to find out about their relatives and where they settled.)
The problem that I'm having is I'm not sure when my relatives were married and that's one thing that I will need when requesting that info. What part of new york where your relatives from??
Perhaps you can at lesat narrow down the time when they were most likely married. The 1910 census you referred to says they were married for 11 years. So - possibly they were married around 1898 - 1899? (Just a thought.)

Keep me posted on how your search goes and what you find out from Avella.

Enjoy your day!
drewser
Rookie
Rookie

Post by drewser »

hi napolitano searchers, the marrage information, its pretty plain, just says day and names they did send it pretty quickly. There are 90 napolitanos in avella italy still, I am going to send out letters and keep my fingers crossed for a relative, how fun would that be. http://www.freetranslation.com/ is an awsome and simple place to write a letter, translate your letter to italian ect. If you come across a saverio or maria from avella, please hollar..
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

Hi dreswer!

I sent you a PM last week to give you a heads up about this thread - not sure it went through.

Did you request/receive the marriage "extract"?

I am preparing to send to Avella for my Napolitano records - was wondering - did you provide Avella with a self-addressed return envelope? Also - how far back (what year) were they able to provide information for?

Once I hear back from Avella, I will also be mailing letters to Napolitano's that live there. Thanks for the translation link - will check it out! I'm sure our paths will cross. :)

Drewser - when you have a minute feel free to PM me your specific Napolitano information you are seeking - and what else do you have for Saverio and Maria (i.e., full names - if you have middle name, Maria's maiden name, dates, their silbings, etc.) so I can keep a look-out.

Will keep all Napolitano searchers updated!
Sophia
drewser
Rookie
Rookie

Post by drewser »

HI,
The only info I gave avella was names and birthdays. Thats all I had. I tried to scan the form they sent me for you to see, it didnt seem readable. I provided them an envelope, they sent it back no money required. I will pm you with what i know of my naps.
thanks
xoxlisalisaxox

Post by xoxlisalisaxox »

Is it the same protocol to obtain Birth Certificates from Italy, would you send the request to commune in which they were born???
Lisa
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

Hi Lisa,

Yes - same protocal for birth records - send your request to the comune using the form letter VJ provided in this thread. (Just be sure to request for the "extracts" whenever you request records because they provide you with more detailed info.)
Italian form letter generator with instructions:
www.circolocalabrese.o...civile.asp
Lisa - to make is easier so we all have each other's specific info we are looking for, feel free to send me a PM just as I requested from drewser. It's easier if I have the info saved in my inbox files.

Let's hope we all make some connections in Avella and eventually have Napolitano news to share. :)

Sophia
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

Hi Lisa - sent you a PM but just noticed some of them stay in the outbox and don't appear that they actually are "sent." Check and see if received any from me.

Thanks,
Sophia
dd660

Post by dd660 »

Hi,
I am collecting a fair amount of Napolitano's in my small D'Avanzo family from Avella, Avellino. If anything matches or is interesting, please send me a PM.

Thx DD