Searching the commune archives myself? (MURO LUCANO)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
arist
Rookie
Rookie

Searching the commune archives myself? (MURO LUCANO)

Post by arist »

Hi there..

I've been reading a few posts regarding record searching in Muro Lucano...

I'm in the process of collecting all documents (birth, death, marriage certificates) to apply for dual-citizenship.

I'll be going through my father, grandmother, g grandfather, gg grandfather.

Will cut to my question..

Is it possible for me to go to the commune in Muro Lucano and search through the archives myself? The problem is I don't have dates for any of my ancestors. Only approximate years. I feel if I find one record, it will make it easier to find the rest. I also don't speak italian. Though I was thinking of bringing a letter along with me (in italian) explaining my situation.

Do I need written permission to do this? Or can I just show up and search for a few days without notice?

anyone have experience in doing this?
MaurizioPerrone
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Searching the commune archives myself? (MURO LUCANO)

Post by MaurizioPerrone »

Yes, you can do this, but you will need permission from the official at the comune. You should write a letter to the comune before you go to Muro Lucano, explaining that you wish to access the archives in the comune to search the births, deaths and marriages and that you are looking for your ancestors. Also write the dates that you will be there.

This is better than arriving at the comune with no previous introduction, because the official is not expecting you and he may be very busy and make some excuses. It is better to arrange this all before you go to the comune, because also you do not speak Italian.

The comune is open only a few hours during the weekdays, Monday to Friday, so probably you will need two or three days to go to the comune, especially because you do not know exact dates.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Searching the commune archives myself? (MURO LUCANO)

Post by Italysearcher »

I have searched in a variety of towns and not all will give you personal access to their records after 1865. You may be better to check what microfilms are available and if they are, then go first to the State archives where you can search personally.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.