searching for family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Mary_ellen

searching for family

Post by Mary_ellen »

hello,
what a great site. I am searching for relatives who may be in Avelino. My great grandmother was Mariangela Floranina Capone. She married my great grandfather whose name is Cenzalli, but could have been americanized upon immigrating.

How do you begin? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks so much
Mary Ellen
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: searching for family

Post by ptimber »

If your searching for a relatgive in Averllino then go to www.paginebianche.it and nsert the surname of choice inthe first line and the town or province of Avellino. If you are certain Avelliono is the town of origin then just simply put in Avellino but if it is in the provinceof Avellino and you are not sure of the town then just put in the initiasls AV which covers the entire province including the city of Avellino. As for doing research the cardinal rule is to wrok bakcward. But first decide what you want to know since you can go back easily to 1809 for your family. Is it documents, relatives, history or geenalgy research with each member of the geneartions???? Please let us know. Peter
Mary_ellen

Post by Mary_ellen »

thanks Peter. Honestly, I know so little about my paternal family. I did find out that my great grandfather Nicola Cenzalli (Censale) came from Sicily. I am mainly interested in tracing back my history and also finding out if I have distant relatives. I went to the site you suggested. Now i reallly need a site for translation!
Mary Ellen
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The site I gave you is a directory...think of it as a telephone directory...There is a name and the V=street and the initials in parenthesis are the initials of the province in which the town is located. The comune is the name of the town and the postal code is the same as our zip code. The telephone number is obvious.

In Italy all docuemnts, history and even relatives are in the town of origin and that is what you have to find out. Have you gon to www.ellislisland ,org and looked for his arrival in the USA? Find the town and you find your family back to 1809. Peter
fkillion

Post by fkillion »

Mary Ellen,
Your grandfather was not from Sicily. Neither of your Great Grandparents were. They were both from the same region of Italy. Butchie should know this information. if not zap me back a note and I'll be happy to explain.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Nicola Censale was from Montemiletto, province of Avellino,

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 1500195025&

Here some Maria Capone, which one?

http://stevemorse.org/goulnik/match1.ph ... &dwpdone=1

for Nicola Cesale civil records write to:

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Roma 83038 Montemiletto (AV)
Italy

or contact

Archivio di Stato di Avellino

http://wwwdb.archivi.beniculturali.it/S ... VELLINO%22

or rent Montemiletto civil records microfilm to FHL (mormon church)

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ato+civile++

bye Riccardo :lol:
SynThea
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SynThea »

Mary Ellen:

My maternal great-grandmother was Maria Giuseppa Capone, b. 1872, Montemiletto, married Luigi Ragno 1898 Montemiletto, emigrated 1900 to Boston, MA area, died 1923.

Have some of her ancestors in Montemiletto area, although none I could possibly connect with you without dates of birth, parents names or other clues.

Can you send more specific information? Be pleased to be of help if I can.
SynThea
Massachusetts
USA
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Luigi Ragno from Montemiletto

Luigi Ragno

Occupation Porter
Age 30
Sex M
Literacy N
Arrived 11 Feb 1899
Origin Italy
Port Genoa
Last Residence Montemiletto
Destination Boston
Plan Unknown
Ship Furst Bismarck
Passage Unknown

bye Riccardo :lol:
SynThea
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SynThea »

Thank you, Riccardo!

This is indeed my maternal Great-Grandfather Luigi Ragno, and is documentation of one of at least three arrivals at Ellis 1890/1899/1900.

Appreciate your following through .... one never knows where the next "useful" clue may come from ... or just who may be able to help.

You are of great assistance to many and it does not go unnoticed!
SynThea
Massachusetts
USA
Mary_ellen

Post by Mary_ellen »

fkillion- please tell me who you are? Butchie (my dad) does not remember the accurate details as we have been discussing this a lot recently. I would love to correspond with you and get more information about our family. I know so much about the fortune side but not much about the Cenzalli side. Please respond back to mcenzalli@yahoo.com
Thanks so much,
Mary Ellen Cenzalli

Riccardo-Thanks so much for sharing, I tried the Ellis Island site and didn't find him. I really have not spent much time with this as I would like but I am hoping to keep pursuing it.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

SynThea wrote:Thank you, Riccardo!

This is indeed my maternal Great-Grandfather Luigi Ragno, and is documentation of one of at least three arrivals at Ellis 1890/1899/1900.

Appreciate your following through .... one never knows where the next "useful" clue may come from ... or just who may be able to help.

You are of great assistance to many and it does not go unnoticed!
SynThea,
thanks for the nice words.
I like genealogy and emigration, and I like to help everyone.
bye Riccardo

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Martyn_Conterio

Post by Martyn_Conterio »

I am searching for relatives in Italy. My great grandfather and grandmother Enrico and Sofia Conterio came to England at the start of the 20th Century. They came from the Po Valley and died in England in 1929 and 1986. How can I trace their family? They sailed from Naples with the Manfredi and Chriscoli family.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi,

You could try this website and input your surnames in it. Input the town name too and it will show those living there with the surname.

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... tl=2&btt=0

Hope this helps some!

Nuccia :D
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Again,

As a bit of additional information, most of the Conterio's were from Locana, Italy. Here's a list of passengers to the USA of Conterios you may want to look at for clues.

Also, the name of Conterio is on several message boards. You may want to try that, as well.

Nuccia :D
saestes

Post by saestes »

Order some of these microfilmed records of Locana parish records from the Mormon church.

Film Notes
Note - Location [Film]
Battesimi 1612-1686 - FHL INTL Film [ 1518420 Item 4 ]
Battesimi 1686-1853 - FHL INTL Film [ 1518421 ]
Battesimi 1854-1893 - FHL INTL Film [ 1518422 ]
Battesimi 1893-1899 Matrimoni 1650-1899 Morti 1650-1821 - FHL INTL Film [ 1518484 ]
Morti 1821-1873 - FHL INTL Film [ 1518485 ]
Morti 1873-1899 Stati d'anime - FHL INTL Film [ 1518486 Items 1-2 ]

http://www.familysearch.org/

My family is Conterio from Locana. I have reviewed a fair amount of these records. I have had less fortune requesting information from the civil authorites.

Stew