does this pic look like it was taken in Italy?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
vintagegamer
Veteran
Veteran

does this pic look like it was taken in Italy?

Post by vintagegamer »

This picture was in a box with others from my Grandpop Salvo and Grandmom (Ghione) Salvo. We're trying to determine who it is, and going off of the clothes she is wearing, I'm wondering if this was a photo from a relative back in Italy that was sent to them.

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding the image? (thanks in advance)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bNkUE465pHg/S ... rypic5.jpg
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: does this pic look like it was taken in Italy?

Post by PeterTimber »

The style of clothing was typical for both the USA and western Europe. The fan on the girls lap is indicative of a warm climate but that could also be summertime anywhere. Is there a stamp or anything written on the reverse of the foto?? Any small print perhaps?? Please advise. =Peter=
~Peter~
vintagegamer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by vintagegamer »

Thanks Peter, let me see if I can locate the picture for you. Unfortunately I do not seem to recall any studio insignia or writing on it, but I will look to be sure.

Jim
LaBud
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LaBud »

Hello,

It appears to me this is not a summertime scene.
Look at the closed collar on her blouse and also the leather gloves which are long, not short, and very long skirt. It also looks like that is a hat of some kind that is resting on her lap. There appears to be greenery around her and not any flowers, like a shady spot somewhere. I also noted a bracelet on her right wrist. Also stylish hair.
I agree with Peter, it could have been taken anywhere, but in a cooler climate. As he suggested, maybe there is a date on the back of the pic.
Hope this helps some.

She's a very pretty young woman.

LaBud
vintagegamer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by vintagegamer »

I just dug out the picture, and although there are no notes on it at all, the picture was developed and then affixed to a piece of card stock, about 1/32" in thickness, with rounded edges. I'm guessing then that this could have been possibly done by a professional photographer?

Jim
Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bette »

The chair looks like one of those folding canvas chairs that were in use in the USA years ago. Not sure if these chairs were used in Italy too. Perhaps you have another photo of this woman that would give you more clues.
Bette
vintagegamer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by vintagegamer »

Bette wrote:The chair looks like one of those folding canvas chairs that were in use in the USA years ago. Not sure if these chairs were used in Italy too. Perhaps you have another photo of this woman that would give you more clues.
Bette
Hi Bette,

Yes I too wondered about that chair. Thanks for taking a look!

Jim
BethW
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BethW »

The terrace is very shallow and edged with a rock wall. It looks like the ground drops off beyond that. The walls are rough stone block with very narrow slit windows. It suggests to me that the building is built onto the side of a fairly steep hill. It reminds me of houses I've seen that were built into the old city walls of hill towns. Do you have the name of the town that your grandparents came from?
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

It looks like a spring/early summer picture to me.

It looks to me, like she has two items on her lap..a closed fan and a hat. The edges of the hat look strawlike. These things indicate spring/summer, to me. She is also wearing a bracelet over her gloved hand. Did they even own jewelry in italy?

I agree with everyone on the chair. Those were used in this country.

Another thing, that indicates to me spring/early summer, is the vines on the wall. I would think the greenery would be more overgrown near summers end.

I have also seen pix attached to that cardboard like material..however, I dont know it those pix were taken in this country or italy.

We also found a pix or two and never knew who the people were. I recall one pix, I had asked my mom, when I was a kid, who they were..and she only said..oh..they are some people we knew. I guess they werent relatives.
vintagegamer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by vintagegamer »

BethW wrote:The terrace is very shallow and edged with a rock wall. It looks like the ground drops off beyond that. The walls are rough stone block with very narrow slit windows. It suggests to me that the building is built onto the side of a fairly steep hill. It reminds me of houses I've seen that were built into the old city walls of hill towns. Do you have the name of the town that your grandparents came from?
My grandfather came here from Giusvalla, Italy in 1913. They lived and worked at Squirrel Run (now Hagley Museum) in DE at the gunpowder mill.

My grandmother lived in Squirrel Run as well for some time, then her family moved into PA to work on mushroom farms.

Thanks again to all for your input!

Jim
BethW
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BethW »

Here's a link to a photo of one of the buildings at the Hagley Museum. It might be worthwhile sending the photo to someone at the museum to see whether the photo could have been taken there.

http://portal.delaware.gov/photos/colle ... 1171.shtml