Vincenzo Bova

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bovie19

Vincenzo Bova

Post by bovie19 »

I am looking for information on my paternal grandfather named Vincenzo Bova. I know he is buried in Reading,Pa., but I don't have much else information. All of my grandparents are deceased. I'm not sure if or when he may have come through Ellis Island. Any info to get me started would behelpful.

James Bova
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Vincenzo Bova

Post by PeterTimber »

You might wish to try www.castlegarden.org if you may have missed checking that website for pre 1892 arrivals at NYC

Also go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html to assist you and us in your research. =Peter=
~Peter~
bovie19

Post by bovie19 »

Thank you Peter. This will give somewhere to start.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

On the www.stevemorse.org website there are 35 Vincenzo Bova manifests and on www.ancestry.com there is one.

Do you at least know the year he was born around or his wife's maiden name? How about his children's names? Their approximate years of birth? It will help narrow things down.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
bovie19

Post by bovie19 »

His wife's maiden name was Mazza. her full name was Maria Rose Mazza. He died 03/19/1929. He had two children Pasquale and Anthony. Approximate year of birth is 1896 or 1897. I believe he may have come from Reggio. Does this help.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi Bovie! (Ciao Nuccia!)

Just for references
I believe this should be the 1930 census for James's wife (widow) living with her two child Pasquale and Antonio:

1930 United States Federal Census
about Rose Bova
Name: Rose Bova
Home in 1930: Reading, Berks, Pennsylvania
View Map
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1904
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Relation to Head of House: Roomer
Race: White

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Carmine Vitale 33
Sarah Vitale 26
Isabella Vitale 7
John Vitale 3
Rose Bova 26
Pasquale Bova 5
Anthony Bova 3

Please note that a few lines above there is listed a Mary Mazza age 65. widow, born in IT. Possible she was Rose's mother?

[img=http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/9160/bova1930.th.jpg]

Laura
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Thanks Laura! How are you? We need to see if we can find Vincenzo in the 1920 Census so we can determine his arrival. I may have his birth act in my files but I need to make sure hes from Reggio and from which comune.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
bovie19

Post by bovie19 »

Ciao and Thanks Laura and Nuccia. That is my grandmother and her sons. I also believe that Maria Mazza is my great grandmother because I had two great uncles by the name of Orlando and Nicky. I also remember that my grandmother's sister lived at the address listed in the census, but that was later. My grandfather's name was Vincenzo James (not sure of the spelling Giamo) Bova, but I know he went by James only if that helps.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi! :D

Giamo should have been for Giacomo... :?
Usually James was the american version for Vincenzo, but should it have been also for Giacomo?

Laura
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I also think it was Giacomo and there is a person, a family actually that may just fit the description coming from Termini I believe all heading for Pennsylvania. They are listed in the 1920 census as well under Jack.

Are you perhaps thinking of

Giacomo Bova and Maria Mazza - came to the US with several children.
Son Vncenzo Bova ( born in US abt 1902-1929) and wife Maria Rosa(born abt 1904)
Grandsons Antonio and Pasquale Bova

Laura I will check back once I get home from work this afternoon. I would be interested in your thought.

Talk to you all soon and have a great day everyone.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
bovie19

Post by bovie19 »

Hi Nuccia

I have found a Death certificate listing Vincenzo's birth as 1895. I also have found a marriage certificate that list the date of marriage as March 2 1924 to Rose Mazza. My grandmother's birthday is listed in two different documents as 1904, but one date is July 12th and the other is July 13th. I'll keep searching for more documents in my mother's house but I'm afraid most of them have been tossed or destroyed. thanks

jim