Francesco Battaglia, Emanuela Bellassai, Ragusa, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
OmertaSiciliana

Francesco Battaglia, Emanuela Bellassai, Ragusa, Sicily

Post by OmertaSiciliana »

I'm looking for information on my great-great grandparents, Francesco Battaglia [born Nov 29, 1863] and Emanuela Bellassai [born Jan 18, 1864], both from Ragusa, Sicily. They had 7 kids: Giovanina, Giuseppe and Giovanni [twins], Santina, Giulietta, Concetta, and another Giovanni.

I wanted to know if there is a way to track down ancestor's parents' names, because I can't trace my family back any further than this. Is there a way to find out the names Francesco's parents, and Emanuela's parents. I have no other information about Emanuela besides her birthdate. I know absolutely nothing about her family. If anyone could help, that would be greatly appreciated :)

-Keri
OmertaSiciliana

Re: Francesco Battaglia, Emanuela Bellassai, Ragusa, Sicily

Sorry for being so vague, I forgot to mention that I do have all their Ellis Island records, if that is any help. The family came here on Dec 16 1916, on the Giuseppe Verdi which departed from Naples. Other than that, my research is not progressing well at all :-(
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The Records for the city of Ragusa which you say is the place of origin rather than a town or village in the province of Ragusa go back to 1820. If you go to the nearest family history library of the Mormon church and rent the civil records microfilm for Ragusa for about $3.00 you can trave their parents back to 1820. You could also request their "estratto di nascita" birth record which will also fgive you their parents full names as well. Peter
OmertaSiciliana

Thank you for the advice, Peter. Is there a way I could send them a letter, because I'm not sure where the nearest one is. In fact, I'm not sure where any of them are. Could I email them or send a letter in the mail?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Go to www.familysearch.org and in the third column under family library system clcik on location of family library. In your case it is in Elmhurst queens. You have to go there and rent the film and look thru their microfilm for Ragusa. If you wish to write for an estratto di nascita then write in Italian to Ufficio di Stato Civile in Ragusa. Which is the way you want to go?? peter
OmertaSiciliana

I think it will be easier to make the actual trip to the library, seeing as my Italian is horrible. If I wrote them a request for a birth certificate, they probably would not understand what I'm trying to say. Most likely, I will go to the Elmhurst Family research library. Thanks again, Peter!
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There is a form letter in italian if you wish. That is why I asked you what do you want to do? Go to www.circolocalabrfese.org for the form leter and if you sendc it put $5.00 int he envelope and include a self addressed envelope. If yhou are reluctant to put in $5.00 go to the post office and buy some postal coupons but I do not know if they can cash tem there. They can't cash checks either. I have found few people who lose money and never hear from the office. The address top mai is Ufficio di Stato Civile, Comune di Ragusa, Postale 97100, Sicily, Italy. Peter
OmertaSiciliana

Thanks again, Peter! You always help so efficiently.

I'm going to send that letter, and probably go to the Family History Library as well, for additional research. Thanks so much! :wink: :D
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

When you go to the library bring as maginigying glass because sometimes the handwqriting is small. Peter