please help with translation of a letter from Italy...

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
rpucci

please help with translation of a letter from Italy...

Post by rpucci »

Ciao a tutti!!

A few months ago, I sent letters to four people with my surname in the same town in Nicastro (Lamezia Terme) where my grandparents were born, in the hope that someone there might know of my grandfather and grandmother. [I found their names at PagineBianche.it].

I was thrilled yesterday to receive a registered letter from the father of one of those persons!! I can understand most of the content, but I was wondering if anyone could please assist with translating the letter? (I have retyped it below).

Thank you very much!!!
Rich

Dear Mister Richard Pucci

Il mio nome è Ottavio Pucci, classe 1935, e Le scrivo in risposta alla Sua del 14 giugno u.s. indirizzata a Pucci Maria, mia figlia.
Le premetto innanzitutto che il cognome Pucci non è molto comune in terra Calabra, avendo chiare origini Toscane, come sicuramente avrà facilmente constatato anche Lei in queste Sue prime ricerche.
Io oggi abito a Lamezia Terme anche se Le devo immediatamente confessare che ho trascorso gran parte della mia giovinezza in un piccolo paese dell'entroterra Silano, dove tutt'ora vive il resto della mia famiglia, di nome Castagna e, molti altri anni della mia vita, nelle regioni dell'Italia settentrionale, emigrato, anch'io come i suoi nonni, in cerce di migliore fortuna.
Questo mio piccolo Paese potrebbe essere a Lei già noto poiché portato alla ribalta dal noto best seller "Umbertina", scritto da una nota scrittrice Americana di nome Helen Barolini e che tratta anch'esso della storia di alcuni emigrati calabresi verso il "Sogno Americano."
Nel ricevere la Sua lettera da mia figlia, troppo affaccendata nella routine quotidiana, mi sono subito messo in moto per avviare le opportune ricerche e darLe le risposte che cerca.
Le dico subito che presso l'anagrafe di Lamezia Terme suo nonno, Mosè Pucci, risulta un "trovatello", cioè figlio di madre e padre sconosciuti ma, questa circostanza, non la deve scoraggiare poiché a quel tempo era solo un modo per dare i figli in affidamento destinando loro una vita migliore, ma non significa che i bambini venissero allontanati dalla famiglia di origine con la quale, anzi, conservavano ottimi rapporti.
Io stesso, per nulla scoraggiato, ho continuato le mie ricerche sia presso l'archivio di Stato che presso Feroleto Antico, piccolo paese ai confini della città di Lamezia Terme, nativo di mio nonno e dove ancora risiedono altri miei lontani parenti.
Purtroppo anche quest'ultime ricerche hanno dato esito negativo, in effetti nella stessa Feroleto Antico, nonostante la "numerosa" colonia di Pucci, nessuno si ricorda di un Mosè nella nostra famiglia e, qualcuno, ha avanzato il dubbio circa la possibilità che suo nonno potesse aver utilizzato un secondo nome qui in Calabria; se così fosse Le sarei grato se me ne desse notizia.
Nel salutarLa calorosamente, La rassicuro sul fatto che io continuerò le mie ricerche sia presso la Chiesa di Nicastro dove, a Suo dire, i coniugi Pucci-Sacco avrebbero contratto matrimonio in data 24 giugno 1911 che verso i parenti di sua nonna, Sacco Rosa.
Le chiedo inoltre, come ultima cortesia , quella di poter ricevere al più presto il suo indirizzo e-mail per poterLe più facilmente inviare gli esiti delle future ricerche.

Saluti

Lamezia Terme, lì 24 luglio 2009
Pucci Ottavio
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: please help with translation of a letter from Italy...

Post by PeterTimber »

What parts are you talking about? There is not much sense in reinventing the wheel if you understand most of the letter. =Peter=
~Peter~
rpucci

Post by rpucci »

Peter,

Sorry about that! I should have really phrased my posting more clearly. I understand some Italian, and part of what Ottavio is saying in general throughout most of the letter, but I certainly do not completely understand most of what he has written. And with my limited understanding, I want to make sure that I don't miss anything at all that could be important in his letter -- particularly the latter half concerning my grandfather!

I know that it is a fairly lengthy letter, so any help translating part or all of his letter is much appreciated!!

Thanks!
Rich
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Mr Pucci the first 5 paragraphs were pleasantries and preambles while the 6th goes on to say that your grandfather was registered as a child born of unknown parents. It was a legal fiction designed to protect the child in later life and instead of being abandonded actually remained close to their natural family.

He says he is continuing his own researches in FEROLETO ANTICO, a small village close to Lamezia where his extended family contiues to reside.

No one there in Feroleto Antico seems to remember MOSE in my own family there.Some have suggested that he may have assumed a second name while here in Calabria and if you know of any other names he may have used please let me know.

In the meantime I will continue my researches in the Church of Nicastro where as you say the Pucci Sacco were married on June 24,1911 who appear to be related to your grandmother Sacco Rosa.
Pleasesend me youir e-mail address so that I can send you futureinformation more easily. Ottavio Pucci 7/24/2009

=Peter=
~Peter~
rpucci

Post by rpucci »

Peter,

Thank you very much for translating the letter!! It has been difficult finding any information on my grandparents, and this seems to be a step in the right direction.

I sincerely appreciate your help!!

Rich
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

If you ever get a chance to attend a University in Italy for about 6 months, learn grammar and talk with other students in Italy you can becomeproficient in Italian..but not knowing who,what where why of yourself precludes any other comments. =Peter=
~Peter~