New Jersey Marriage Records Question

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DeniseNYC
Rookie
Rookie

New Jersey Marriage Records Question

Post by DeniseNYC »

Hello again,

I could use help understanding what happens to a record of marriage that took place in a township that no longer exists.

All my very best,
:D Denise
lilbees
Master
Master

Re: New Jersey Marriage Records Question

Post by lilbees »

It would be helpful if we had the names of the couple and possible birth dates.

Thanks,
lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
DeniseNYC
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeniseNYC »

Hello - Of course! I am so sorry...
Tamberino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tamberino »

Did you contact the church where they were married? they might be able to help you. Beyond that, on NJ's web page they states that you can give they county instead of the town. That might be the way to go. Are you positive on the date?
DeniseNYC
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeniseNYC »

Hello Tamberino!

Yes. I called the church. They weren't sure, but suggesting trying Passaic.

I like the idea of searching based on the county. Maybe I can even call the county...

In any event, I am definitely going to try your suggestion!

Thanks so much for writing me with your ideas!
Denise
Tamberino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tamberino »

Did you get the church to send you their record of the marriage? They should still have it.
DeniseNYC
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeniseNYC »

Hi - Yes. Church has the marriage record. Yes. They sent me a copy. I am having trouble locating the Civil Record. The state of NJ has 'no record' of my great-grandparents' marriage.

I need the state's document for the dual citizenship process.

Best,
Denise
DeniseNYC
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeniseNYC »

Hello again,

Does anyone else have any thoughts on whether or not townships would keep records in 1903?

If so, does anyone else have any thoughts on where records from an absorbed township would go?

If a township ceased to exist in 1917, where do you think the records would go?

Thanks!!!
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

HI Denise,

Go to the NJ archives in Trenton. You can search the marriage records yourself for that year.

http://www.state.nj.us/state/darm/links ... ealt2.html

For information about vital records from May 1848 – 1900 visit the New Jersey Department of State, Division of Archives and Records Management web page. The Archives also holds microfilm copies of births from 1901-1923, marriages from 1901-1940 and deaths from 1901-1940. These materials are available for in-person use only.

Debbie
DeniseNYC
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeniseNYC »

Thank you so very much, Debbie. I will go back down to Trenton and visit the archives.

Do you know whether or not a marriage record which is not at the Dept of Health in Trenton might still exist .... somewhere?

I am afraid I am going to have to go through a delayed marriage request process, which I believe entails a court order... etc.

Thank you!!
Denise
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Denise,

If I remember correctly the 1901-1940 marriage records are on microfilm at the archives. Sort by year, then alphabetical by groom. There was no bride index. So if you are looking for Smith, all the Smith from the state for that year will be grouped together.

While filmed alphabetically, I found that this was not perfect. If you can't find a record, search a little before and after. Always consider alternate spellings.

Who knows if the record was at the Dept of Health - How motivated was the record clerk to look? Check alternate spellings. If I look and can't find it I at least know how hard I looked. With the clerk, who knows.

The archives have always been clean, friendly and had decent printers when I visited in the past. Check the website for the latest info on parking. They do not always let you park in the garage.

While their birth records are available up to 1923 and death certs to 1940. This is the only place I have found that you can actually search NJ vital records yourself. These records have not been microfilmed for use outside of the archives. Bring ID.

Debbie
Romano1970
Master
Master

Post by Romano1970 »

Is this the sacred heart church on 145 Rondolph avenue, Clifton NJ, 07011. If so my parents were married there as well.
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.