Meaning of surname, Vignapiano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
juliabeam

Meaning of surname, Vignapiano

Post by juliabeam »

I have been trying to determine the meaning of my maiden name which is Vignapiano. I remember my father telling me that, loosely translated, it meant "sweet wine", but I am wondering if that is correct. The Vignapiano family is from Angri, a comune in Salerno.

Thank you for any insight you can give me.

Julia
Squigy
Master
Master

Re: Meaning of surname, Vignapiano

Post by Squigy »

Vino dolce is how you say Sweet Wine, but Vigna means Vinyard in Italian, so he was pretty close. Piano, however, basically means design, but it could also mean smooth or gently or plot or scheme. Hope this helps! :D
CompGeekJTP
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CompGeekJTP »

My great-grandmother was a Vignapiano. She came here with her mother Lucia in 1902. Her father Emilio Vignapiano came here a year earlier. In all the research I have done on Ancestry.com, most of the Vignapiano's I've found on there are related to my family in someway. So, the chances of some kind of relation between you and I are rather strong. Who was your father and grandfather? You can answer me in private if you wish.

As far as the meaning of Vignapiano, I could ask my grandmother and aunt. They might know.
juliabeam

Post by juliabeam »

I am sure we are related! Emilio and Lucia Vignapiano are my grandparents. It sounds to me like your great-grandmother is Florie(Filomena), my aunt. My father,Peter(Pietro) is a brother of your great-grandmother. Who is your grandmother?

Doralice,daughter of Annie Vignapiano(sister of Florie) and I went to Angri in May to visit the birthplace of our grandparents. We met the family of Lucia's sister while there. We were able to get copies of original documents (birth certificates etc) and lots of photos.
Also, I have genealogical histry going back to the 1700"s. I would be happy to share with you what I have, if you are interested

Julia
CompGeekJTP
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CompGeekJTP »

I would appreciate anything you could share with me. Especially photo copies of documents and photos. I also have some information going back to the 1700s, so perhaps we could compare notes. If Pietro was your father, then your mother was Emma? My mother remembers a lot of the names I started mentioning to her.

My grandmother is Louise.

You can contact me here or at my email address:

compgeekjtp@gmail.com