Pros and cons of dual citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
italian277

Pros and cons of dual citizenship

Post by italian277 »

Hello,

Is there anybody on this list who has actually gone through the process of obtaining Italian dual citizenship? I would be interested in hearing about any pros and cons of having dual citizenship. I have read the various websites ( myitalianfamily.com, the richw site, etc.... I would just like to hear some first hand accounts of people who have done it. I tried to search the database, but I kept getting database errors, so forgive if this topic has been covered at length before. Also, if anybody can recommend attorneys in the DC area familiar with the issues involving dual citizenship, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Pros and cons of dual citizenship

Post by ptimber »

You may wish to go to www.italianlaw.net and ask them for a referral to a D.C. attorney engaged in dual citizenship matters. I think this is a good idea since legal matters are always subject to rules,regulations, practices and procedures which constantly change, and often to the better. Peter
faceplant

Post by faceplant »

I went through this process about 6 years ago, I live in Canada.
At the time the reason for doing this was that I planned to be in Europe, as a traveller, for about 5 months and planned to visit a number of countires. I thought having a European passport would help me to move from coutry to country easier. I carried both passports and found that my Canadian passport was better received in many places.
The process for getting the passport took about 4 months, and seemed a little dodgy to me. I had to first make a request to the registrar in the region/town where my parents are form. The registrar checks the towns birth and marriage records to verify, then sent back an applicaiton form which required that I compile a number of things, passport photo's, about $60 in Italian currency to purchase the passport, the postage to send it all back. I also needed a notarized statement as to my age to ensure that I would not be summoned for military duty.
I went through all of this with the help of my local Itailan consolate. As you can imagine the Italian governmental forms are somewhat cryptic and without thier help I don't think I would have done it.
good luck.
italiami

Post by italiami »

Hi,
I am in the process of applying for dual citizenship and have spoken with several people that have been through the process. Each story is different as each situation is different. One gal told me it took 2 yrs after jumping through MANY Italian hoops! A few websites you might want to check out if you haven't done so yet are:
www.italylink.com this is a dual citizenship forum and should be most helpful. The other link is www.myitaliancitizenship.com

Patricia
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Nobody seems to bring up the matter of paying taxes to Italy when you become a citizen of Italy or even doing military service. Peter
Brini

Post by Brini »

I think it's also important to understand that having dual citizenship doesn't mean you have to live in Italy, as wonderful as it is there. There are 25 EU countries that all have their own unique benefits and opportunities.
italiami

Post by italiami »

Peter,
I also understand that when you have dual citizenship and buy a home there, you pay Italy taxes which are less than non-citizen taxes. Is that true? Are you also entitled to medical benefits?
Patricia
emiroirausquin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by emiroirausquin »

What about getting to learn its History? Has anybody considered that as NEW citizens, it is our duty to learn Italian history? It is my believe that we must evaluate past governments administrations, gain access to good statistical data that reflects past and current trends, and know what Italians values are about.

To understand a nation today you must know its past.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

That and $1.00 will buy you a cup of coffee. Peter
emiroirausquin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by emiroirausquin »

Peter, as I understand your comment I'm guessing you are meaning to say
that learning the history of the country (Italy) isn't worth anything. because
a cup of coffee is so cheap, even learning the country's history isn't
worth enough to buy the cup of coffee, and I still need $1 on top of it.

If that was indeed your comment, I would like you to explain to me and everybody publicly in this forum WHY the United States REQUIRES foreign people to learn its history to PASS the citizenship test. Are you saying that the US History is worth more than Italian history?

I recognize that people from different countries have different values, but nobody should be entitle to say that the history of any country is worth less than a miserable cup of coffee.

Respectfully,
Emiro
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Emiro I did not mean to be despicable about Italian History. it is just that we are so small and the powers that be, particularly these days, are so abusive that I no one can affect today or tomorrow and knowing the past cannot help you in the future world we are entering into. You know yesterday is history, Tomorrow is not a mystery but today is a present from God. Peter
emiroirausquin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by emiroirausquin »

Peter,
I am Venezuelan, my country has gone through a number of dictatorship regimens and military coups, etc through the last 70 years. What you see, hear and read in today’s newspaper is the result of our History, which is in part made of our decisions as a nation. Ours believes and values have been enormously changed and challanged as a nation in the last 6 years. And just like in genealogy, a big part of who you are today comes from your past.

I just believe that knowing your past makes you realize who you are today and will help you visualize your future.

Well, I think that is a topic that deserves its own webpage :o) . I did not intend to take over the heart of this section. “ My apologies to those readers who are not interested in it.â€Â
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Knowing who you were in the past only brings pain in todays world. The past was excerllence, good manners, integrity, more honesty than today and certainly morality by the wagonload. Today is a disgusting world dominated by insidious power brokers and minorities who by stealth and subversion dominate the world and force upon it a bleak future. Now I know why dying is a good thing for most people. You can escape the inconsummate b.....ds of the world. Peter
emiroirausquin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by emiroirausquin »

"Today is a disgusting world dominated by insidious power brokers and minorities who by stealth and subversion dominate the world and force upon it a bleak future"
I agree with that statement. A lot of people really S,,,, Nonetheless I think not everything is lost- If I thought that that were the case I would shoot myself.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

No don't do that just stick around for a few years and then you will die whether you want to or not!!Peter