conegliano orphanage

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
miaalma

conegliano orphanage

Post by miaalma »

My late mother was an orphan at st antonio orphanage in conegliano treviso. i am going to italy soon and would like to visit treviso. i think the orphanage was bombed in the war and all records wee destroyed. Any information about the orphanage would be very much appreciated. Also a prior orphanage gave her the surname ofidussi, does anyone know what this means?
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: conegliano orphanage

Post by Italysearcher »

Sounds to me like an invented name given to a foundling. If you pronounce it out loud it sounds like a corruption (or dialect form) of fiducia which means trusted or in this case entrusted. The 'o' could be a corruption of the verb have as I have entrusted (this baby)
Just a thought!
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
wishyou
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wishyou »

If you need any help, contact me. I live near Conegliano
miaalma

Post by miaalma »

wishyou wrote:If you need any help, contact me. I live near Conegliano
Thank you for your reply We are going to Viarragio on the 22nd. Can I get a train from their to Conegliano?
miaalma

Post by miaalma »

Thankyou for your reply. It has answered some questions for me. My late fathers parents came from Frosinone
wishyou
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wishyou »

Viarraggio? Maybe Viareggio (LU).
Conegliano is on the main RailRoad Line Venice-Wien, so there are lots of trains goign there.
If you are in Viareggio first you have to go to Florence and after taking a train to Venice or directly to Conegliano. It's about a 5 hour trip.

I asked about "st antonio orphanage" and they told me that in Conegliano there was only one orphanage and it wasn't destroyed during wars.
miaalma

Post by miaalma »

From birth my mother was in an orphanage in pula which is in Croatia. I think this was the one that was bombed. She was then transferred to conegliano orphanage. Is the orphanage still there now do you know? Many thanks
wishyou
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wishyou »

Now it's a little clear: your mother probably moved from Pola in 1946 as refugee (it was italian territory given to Jugoslavia as conseuqences of WWII).
The orphanege, they told me, do not exist any more or, better, has been transformed in a ospice for old people (Or something like that)
If you go at this webpage
http://www.conegliano2000.it/galleria_ieri.htm
click on photo n. 5 (XX settembre): it's a 20's photograph. The orphanage building is on the bottom of the photo, where the parallel buildings finish.
It's on the principal street of the town (search on google map for "conegliano, via caronelli").
miaalma

Post by miaalma »

Thankyou so much for that. Its fantastic to see a picture of where my mom was as a child. Again many thanks
mimil

Post by mimil »

Hello: My mother was also raised in an orphanage in Pula for 9 years, and I am trying to find where I can find birth records, and relatives. She may have been in the same orphanage Conegliano? I am not certain. Does anyone know how many orphanages there were in 1942-51? Thank you
miaalma

Post by miaalma »

Hello, My mother was in a orphanage in pula but was transferrred to St antonio orphanage in Conegliano in 1946. We have no information on birth records or relatives. Extensive research found no orphanages in Pula. I think it was bombed during WW2. What is your mothers surname?
msandgg

Post by msandgg »

Hello. My mother spent the first 3 years of her life in an orphange in Treviso, I believe located within the old city walls. Due to the imminent WW2 the orphange was evacuated. I have heard the site or building is now incorporated into the University of Treviso. I did not think to go there when I was last in Italy 10 years ago as I was not researching my family at that time. The University has no knowledge of what happened to the records. I am hoping they were safely given to the local church or Commune. I would like to know if anyone else has any knowledge of this orphanage? The Treviso information centre, and Commune were not able to help me. My mother remembers daily walks to see the train pass so it would have been fairly close to a railway line.
Thanks, Paola
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Have you tried with the "Archivio di Stato di Treviso"?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.