Viola Surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Viola

Viola Surname

Post by Viola »

Hello,

I am trying to find any information about the Viola family from Colle Sannita. The only records my family has on my grandfather, Giuseppe Viola, is that he was born in Colle Sannita on January 24, 1887 and emigrated to the US in 1906. We have now idea of siblings or relatives or even how he came to the US (he died in 1965 before I was born).

Thanks for any help.

Brian Viola
Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Viola Surname

Post by Bette »

Hello Brian,

There is a 27 year gap between the birthdate of Giuseppe Viola and the microfilmed records available to view. Since the microfimed records at a Mormon Family History center only cover the years 1809 - 1860 (Civil registration - births, marriages & deaths), my advise would be to write to the town of Colle Sannita and ask for a Stato di Famiglia for Giuseppe Viola. Here is a web site explaining how to write, etc.

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

The address is as follows:

L'Ufficiale di Anagrafe
Comune di Colle Sannita
Corso Umberto
82024 Colle Sannita (BN)
ITALY

The Stato di Famiglia should show the birthdates of his parents. Once you have this information, you may want to conduct further research on your own via the microfilmed records, if Giuseppe's parents were born in 1860 or earlier.

Upon checking the Italian White Pages telephone directory, I found two Violas living in Colle Sannita. (there may be more that aren't listed). However, you could also write to these people later on, after you know Giuseppe's parents' names, to find out if they are your relatives.

Bette
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi Brian,

were did your grandfather settle after arriving in the U.S.?
Did he joined other relatives here?
Sometimes finding the arrival manifest can be very helpful because it can list for example parent's names...

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

I just noticed that Suanj found Giuseppe's arrival manifest here:

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... 13386.html

Laura
Viola

Post by Viola »

Thanks Laura and Bette....This is all good stuff to start my hunt.

My grandfather came to the US and then bounced back and forth between here and Canada until 1927 (according to his Alien Registration Form which I just got with his Naturalization Paperwork from the Dept of Homeland Security) when he walked across the border at Niagra Falls, NY to eventually marry my grandmother (deceased in 1984) and settle in Dunmore, Pa. (Scranton area). Unfortunately none of his 7 kids (my father included) found out any real history about him until I started looking. I have no idea if he/we have relatives in Canada but I will keep looking (since there are rumors of two brothers).

If you can think of other ways for me to track him, please let me know!

Thamks again for everything!

Brian Viola
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

:D Brian,

I just want to point you to this discussion in the forum:

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... viola.html

maybe contacting FabioP. could be helfpul for your search!

Laura
Viola

Post by Viola »

Laura,

I just posted a note to Fabio.

Thanks again!

Brian