I have registered some Italians in Sweden at WikiTree (beta) and as I don't know italian I have some questions about spelling.
Me, swedish authorities and transcribers of records have trouble getting foreign names right. Should all Jakonelli & Jacornelli really be written Jaconelli, or could they be spelled like that?
Jaconelli, Jakonelli & Jacornelli
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Jaconelli, Jakonelli & Jacornelli
Iaconelli is the more likely spelling since the letter J pronounced I is no longer used in Italian language.. It once was used as a double I to distiguish Tempi=Times or Tempi=Temples. It is now replaced with a circumflex (One of those little tents over the letter I) as rthe old practice was to write Tempj. =Peter=
~Peter~
Re: Jaconelli, Jakonelli & Jacornelli
Ohh, I see. There is alot to learn. Thanks.
I guess there is no spelling of the name with k or r either!?
I suppose then that the names Jacopucci = Iacopucci, Janco = Ianco & Jori = Iori ...
I guess there is no spelling of the name with k or r either!?
I suppose then that the names Jacopucci = Iacopucci, Janco = Ianco & Jori = Iori ...
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Jaconelli, Jakonelli & Jacornelli
K is not part of the Italian Alphabet while R is part of the Italian alphabet. It is becoming fashionable among the Young UU's(unhappy unmarrieds) to use K in place for the Italian word "CHE"(who,whom,which.what,when).=Peter=
~Peter~
