family history...surname DECIECO

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
napalino

family history...surname DECIECO

Post by napalino »

:lol: I`ve been researching my fam hist for a numberof years but still have not found this name mentioned on any web sites any one out there could point me in the right direction....PS this was my GF serving in the RGA ww1........

napalino
regina
Rookie
Rookie

Post by regina »

There are currently no phone listings in the Italian white pages for DECIECO, DE CIECO or CIECO. Either the name has died out or DECIECO is not the original Italian spelling. Do you have any other information on your grandfather that would help in finding records with his name on it? Data such as his name, year of birth, town of origin, year of emigration?

Regards,
Regina
napalino

famhistory surname decieco

Post by napalino »

:D hi regina thanks for that reply, my GF had a brother and on his naturalization cert name given as decieco birthplace Saint Elia, Caserata, Italy. 1898......came to the uk 1905 +- 3yrs.. is this of more help thanks again

Napalino
regina
Rookie
Rookie

Re: famhistory surname decieco

Post by regina »

There are several municipalities name Sant'Elia in Italy, but none are in Caserta province. It could be that there is a "frazione" (hamlet) somewhere in Caserta named Sant'Elia. It could be that the borders of Caserta province have changed and that your family's Sant'Elia is now in another province I can check when I get home.

Perhaps the surname was originally Decicco? I found a few phone listings for this name in the Italian phone book.

Regina
napalino

famhist surname decieco

Post by napalino »

:lol: Your could be right REGINA, when they came from italy they might have changed the spelling for whatever reason... I too have come across DECICCO in the BMD. Maybe they wanted to be different and easier to spell in the uk. Maybe I should obtain my GF `s brother`s birth cert, that pose`s another quiry obtaining italian birth certs I`ll have to look on the forum to see if any has posted a tip on how to do this .

Regards Napalino.... :idea:
regina
Rookie
Rookie

Re: famhist surname decieco

Post by regina »

The name of the town is Sant'Elia Fiumerapido. Until 1927 it was part of Caserta province. Today, it is in Frosinone province. The town has a website:
http://www.comune.santeliafiumerapido.fr.it/

Civil vital records --births, deaths, marriages, marriage documents, miscellaneous documents-- for Sant'Elia for the period 1809-1899 are available on microfilm through Family History Centers around the world. Or you might contact Martin Rossman, who is researching DiCicco from Sant'Elia. Martin posted a message at Ancestry.com a year ago. Check the Soave surname board at:
http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=b ... ames.soave

For records after 1899, you will have to write to the vital records office in Sant'Elia. Fortunately, the office has an email address: demog@comune.santeliafiumerapido.fr.it

By the way, Di Cicco is a common surname in Sant'Elia, but, again, no phone listings for Deceico or the like.

Good luck with your research,
Regina
CERTACETO

Re: family history...surname DECIECO

Post by CERTACETO »

My Grandmother Anntionette (Annie) Decieco came over to England aged 4 with the family and appears on the census of 1911 in Penzance England with the family.
She married Arthur Hall and settled down in Penzance. I have census records and Birth certificates which I can pass on to anyone researching the same family.

I am keen to know where the family came from in Italy and I know that Frank, Angelo (who had two sons) emigrated to The Great Lakes in the US. Dominic emigrated to Boston after the war.

I am in contact with my Uncle Ken Hall who lives in Oxford who gives me most of the information that I have

Any help gratgefully accepted
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Many of the civil records of Sant'Elia were destroyed during WW2 and had to be reconstructed. This means that if your ancestor was born or married after 1865 and was NOT in Italy after WW2 you may not find their records in the microfilms or at the town office. The parish records are still, for the most part intact.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
CERTACETO

Post by CERTACETO »

Italysearcher, thanks for the information, as far as I can ascertain they all came over around 1900. I do know that the wife of my Great Grandfather did take two of the children back with her to Italy and probably back to the home town.
Thanks for the link