Gimondo surname - Cosenza, Calabria, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Vikalion

Gimondo surname - Cosenza, Calabria, Italy

Post by Vikalion »

Hi, everyone! I am seeking info on the surname Gimondo. Also any other info/correspondence about the Gimondo family (all relatives past and present), especially info about the parents of Massimo Gimondo (Born May 13, 1928 in Cosenza, Calabria). Thanks!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Gimondo surname - Cosenza, Calabria, Italy

Post by PeterTimber »

There does not appear to be any surname GIMONDO listed inthe Italian surname dictionary and is a surname that is either local in origin or imported from abroad and italianized. You might wish to go to www.surnameweb.org which is based upon the genealogy of your surname GIMONDO.

For further research into your family composition you might wish to request Massimo's long form birth record (estratto di nascita) which is free of charge and will provde parents names. Since the record is in excess of 75 years anyone can request documents. I assume you know that his birth is actually in the city of Cosenza since Cosenza is a provincial capital as well. Oftimes people say Cosenza in order to identify the geography of their birth but actually mean some obscure village in the province of Cosenza. =Peter=
~Peter~
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

The name Gimondo appears in about 10 towns in Calabria. This site will show you where.

http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html
Vikalion

Post by Vikalion »

Thanks Peter & misbris!
Peter, in reference to your point about Cosenza, I believe my dad came from the town of Grimaldi, Cosenza. I have been trying to find info about my dad's parents and anything else related to the Gimondo name. I've come up with so many cases of the name not being in a database, that I have assumed the possibility that the name has a spelling variation, which makes for some very frustrating research!.

I also joined Ancestry.ca today and have started a family tree there that is detailed on my mother's side and almost non-existent on my father's.
Anyway, who would I contact to get Massimo's long form birth record (estratto di nascita)? That info would be awesome!

Thanks for your help, you are both very kind!
-Tony
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Here is some info about Grimaldi.

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/078/059/index.html

and here is the ony Gimondo in Grimaldi with a phome.

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... maldi&ind=
Vikalion

Post by Vikalion »

Thanks again Misbris! My search continues, piece by piece...............
Cheers!
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

You may want to contact the following site regarding record transcriptions, a great group of members who have done an amazing job transcribing records for several towns within Calabria/Cosenza:

Calabria Exchange

Good luck and happy hunting!!
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

You may also want to try the Cosenza Archive Site for help located at

http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.faces

My family was from Malito (I also have family in Grimaldi which is very close to Malito). You may find though that originally your family was from a neighbouring village since they are all very close.

There are so many very good sites with extracted records from the various comuni in that provinces to keep your eyes open...if your as lucky as I was, they eventually all mesh together.

Some more sites for you to visit:

Cosenza Exchange

Families from Marano Marchesato, Cosenza, Calabria, Italia

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ilfmm/

Covering the Comuni of VERZINO, PETRONA, and SAN VINCENZO LA COSTA
http://transcripts-online.com/

Extractions for the Comune of Malito

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... to2-e.html

Records of San Marco Argentano
http://www.comune.sanmarcoargentano.cs. ... nd_arc.htm

Hope some of this helps.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Vikalion

Post by Vikalion »

Wow, this is great - you are super! Thanks for all the links, I'll be checking into them.

Cheers!

Tony
Vikalion

Post by Vikalion »

Hi again, another question on my mind. Are alternate spellings quite common for Italian surnames? The reason I ask is because there only seems to be a few Gimondos compared to the numerous Gimondis, Gismondos, etc. Does this mean my Gimondo ancestors didn't breed much? LOL Or would surname changes account for the so few "hits" I get when I am doing my searches? Thanks again for the help!

Tony
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You can go to www.familysearch.org and under ancestor search just put in the last name spelling of each variation that you are aware of so that you can see their mosre specific distribtuion in Italy and the USA as well as other parts of the world.

The numbers for each name is beyond my ken. There are potentially many many reasons why one surname flouirshes and other variations do not or expire..this information is left to yur conjecture and the mists of time. =Peter=
~Peter~
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Surnames can be commonly misspelled for several reasons..the can just be an error in a document that ends up sticking, or someone shortens the name to suit the country they moved to or just a simple extraction error. Leave all possibilities opens and you may be surprised. Of course, you will have to confirm every possibility with a source to be totally sure. Sometimes it's a real battle.

Once again, just remember, start with yourself and your American research and work backwards - its the only way. Work on your parents and then your grandparents records and so on. Hopefully you can pin point and changes in spelling to the surname this way.

There are also microfilms available to order and search from at your local family history center for Grimaldi (sorry if I am repeating information previously provided).

Just go to www.familysearch.org then on the drop down menu go to Library catalog, then place search, type in Grimaldi and you will get some links for the films available.

Registri dello stato civile, 1809-1910
Authors Grimaldi (Cosenza). Ufficio dello stato civile (Main Author)

Note Location
Film
Nati, processetti, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1809-1810 Nati, processetti, notificazioni 1811 FHL INTL Film
1448914 Item 4
Notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1811 Nati, processetti, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1812-1814 Nati, processetti, matrimoni, morti, notificazioni 1815 Nati, processetti, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1816 Nati, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1817 Nati, processetti, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1818-1820 FHL INTL Film
Nati, processetti, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1821-1823 Nati, processetti, matrimoni, morti 1824 Nati, processetti, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1825-1826 FHL INTL Film
Nati, processetti, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1827-1833 Nati, processetti 1834 FHL INTL Film
Processetti, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1834 Nati, processetti, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1835-1839 Nati 1840 FHL INTL Film
Processetti, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1840 Nati, processetti, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1841-1844 Nati, processetti, notificazioni 1845 FHL INTL Film
Notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1845 Nati, processetti, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1846-1852 FHL INTL Film
Nati, processetti, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1853 Nati, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1854 Nati, processetti, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1855-1859 Nati, processetti 1860 FHL INTL Film
Processetti, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1860 Nati, processetti, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1861-1865 FHL INTL Film
1448922 Items 1-3
Nati 1866-1900 FHL INTL Film
1607721 Items 3-4
Notificazioni 1868-1898 FHL INTL Film
1640971 Item 3
Notificazioni 1899-1900 Matrimoni 1867-1900 Morti 1867-1900 FHL INTL Film
1640972 Items 1-2
Nati 1901-1910 Notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1901-1910 FHL INTL Film
1642123 Item 3

Time consuming but oh so worth it and a real experience.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Vikalion

Re: Gimondo surname - Grimaldi, Cosenza - Calabria, Italy

Post by Vikalion »

Thank you once again for your kind help, Nuccia! You're right, it looks like it can be very time consuming, but at the same time I'm very excited to have at least a starting point to explore my roots. By the way, would you happen to know the name of the Grimaldi, Cosenza soccer team? My dad played on a pro or minor pro team.
Thanks again,
Tony