Italians of Pueblo, Colorado
Re: Italians of Pueblo, Colorado
Well I must say I'm impressed. My son happened across this posting and told me about it. Frank Vence was my great grandfather. The research is almost totally correct. Good job!
Re: Italians of Pueblo, Colorado
In our home, we knew Cheech Vence only as Coomba Cheech. I believe he was my dad's (Hector DeLuca) godfather and he was a close friend of my grandpa (Louis (Luigi) DeLuca) and Grandma (Mary Longo DeLuca), but it seemed like he was everybodies godfather. He seemed like a really sweet guy, those are my only memories of him. I saw him have a stroke at San Isabele Park, everyone was so concerned, everyone was helping.
My dad moved to Wisconsin to go to graduate school at the UW in Madison in about 1950, that was a huge change for the family. He married Emily and stayed to work and raise his family in Madison. We would make two trips a year to Pueblo to see family (sometimes staying for 3 weeks straight). I remember the Silver Moon from my young childhood, I thought it was an amazing place and was a little jealous of my second cousins that were part of the family that owned the place. I believe the Silver Moon burned down in the late 60s or early 70s. Chipde, I am pretty sure you are my second cousin, just a little older than me and my brother Jim (also just joined this forum). We are both interested in learning more about the family history and reconnecting where possible. TD
My dad moved to Wisconsin to go to graduate school at the UW in Madison in about 1950, that was a huge change for the family. He married Emily and stayed to work and raise his family in Madison. We would make two trips a year to Pueblo to see family (sometimes staying for 3 weeks straight). I remember the Silver Moon from my young childhood, I thought it was an amazing place and was a little jealous of my second cousins that were part of the family that owned the place. I believe the Silver Moon burned down in the late 60s or early 70s. Chipde, I am pretty sure you are my second cousin, just a little older than me and my brother Jim (also just joined this forum). We are both interested in learning more about the family history and reconnecting where possible. TD
Re: Italians of Pueblo, Colorado
I am off to visit my Grandmother (Argentine Del-Fraino, Bastain, Waites) for the weekend. She is 94 years and still living in Pueblo. I'm also going to print off this page to re-fresh my memory of the names to see if she remembers any stories I can share. Wish me luck! 
Re: Italians of Pueblo, Colorado
My account finally got activated! I'm Jim, Tom's brother. Is DeLuca's Grocery on Santa Fe still in business? It shows up on google searches and in the street view, and looks the same as I remember it as a kid visiting there in the 60's and 70's. If so, does anyone know who runs it now?
How did the visit to great grandma's go?
How did the visit to great grandma's go?
Re: Italians of Pueblo, Colorado
Jim: The way to find out is to make a trip!!
Tom
Tom
Re: Italians of Pueblo, Colorado
Give me some dates, bro!
Re: Italians of Pueblo, Colorado
DeLuca Grocery closed a couple of years ago. The building still stands but there is no stock left. Floyd (Florie) passed away last year. His wife still lives in the adjacent house.
Chip
Chip
Re: Italians of Pueblo, Colorado
Sorry to hear that, Chip. It was one of the landmarks I could spot along there. I also saw what looked to be the former Texaco station that Uncle Charlie (I think) owned. Coming back to the Silver Moon, was it across Santa Fe from the store and back a couple of blocks? Jim
Re: Italians of Pueblo, Colorado
The Moon was one block west on the opposite side of the street. The footprint of the Liquor Store should be there. There is only vacant land where the Moon once stood. Grandpa's house is still standing (barely). There was no tie to the Texaco.
Chip
Chip
Re: Italians of Pueblo, Colorado
Thanks - are there ever family gatherings? Those San Isabel picnics that Tom mentioned were huge, and there was so much family around Pueblo.
Re: Italians of Pueblo, Colorado
My visit with Grandma went great. We went through all the old pictures, She has several of her Mother who is the one that came over from Italy. None of her Father. She does remember the resturant/club. Said she and her sister used to go there. Doesn't recall any of the names though or she isn't telling. She is real OLD SCHOOL. Won't say anything about anyone.
I did learn that my G-Uncle Tony must of had a supper club or ?? His last name was Pisciotta. Grandma mentioned going to his place with my Aunt (his wife) dancing. I know/knew that my Uncles family had a farm cause is is still there.
When you mentioned a store, reminded me of a little store next to my Great Aunt and Uncles over on 12th & Troy. I used to spend summers there and would beg for candy - they always gave it to me cause I was Tony & Judith's niece. The store is long closed, I think they ran it out of the back of their house cause if I google it, I can still see the "door".
My Grandma house was/is on Santa Fe. Used to be able to see it from I-25 but can't any longer. That mall blocks the view. Her house is also still standing... barely.
I also found out that my g-grandma (Angelina) worked as a cook in one of the steel mills. She went blind somewhat young. She never learned English (that I did know) and lived with my Aunt and Uncle Pisciotta (that I also knew). Another Uncle, James Del Fraino also lived with his sister and her husband. Never married, no children. My Mom mentioned that he was hurt in the war and stayed with them to help to take care of his Mother, Angelina after she went blind.
I did learn that my G-Uncle Tony must of had a supper club or ?? His last name was Pisciotta. Grandma mentioned going to his place with my Aunt (his wife) dancing. I know/knew that my Uncles family had a farm cause is is still there.
When you mentioned a store, reminded me of a little store next to my Great Aunt and Uncles over on 12th & Troy. I used to spend summers there and would beg for candy - they always gave it to me cause I was Tony & Judith's niece. The store is long closed, I think they ran it out of the back of their house cause if I google it, I can still see the "door".
My Grandma house was/is on Santa Fe. Used to be able to see it from I-25 but can't any longer. That mall blocks the view. Her house is also still standing... barely.
I also found out that my g-grandma (Angelina) worked as a cook in one of the steel mills. She went blind somewhat young. She never learned English (that I did know) and lived with my Aunt and Uncle Pisciotta (that I also knew). Another Uncle, James Del Fraino also lived with his sister and her husband. Never married, no children. My Mom mentioned that he was hurt in the war and stayed with them to help to take care of his Mother, Angelina after she went blind.
