Occhiogrosso from Bitetto

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Cetta
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Occhiogrosso from Bitetto

Post by Cetta »

Val, I'll tell you something else that is very freaky that will make what you have told me have some real meaning for you and the part you have played. On your first post to me, you discovered that my grandmother's father's name was Marino.

My grandparents had one more child named Marino (my Uncle Mario). He was married 2x. Mario passed a few years ago but he and his wife had a baby. I guess he was in his late 50s or early 60's when he became a father again.

Just this morning when I woke up, I found an e-mail from his wife. The "baby" is now 12 and is making his Confirmation at the end of May.
She mentioned that he is taking the name Mario. I was thrilled that I could tell her that "Marino" was grandma's father's name.

One act of random kindness has gone a long long way.

Hey there should be a kiss emoticon here! :wink:
Cetta
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Cetta,
Thank you so much for the lovely story
We all enjoy helping out, but feedback like yours really confirms that it is time well spent
Thank you :D !
Valarie
aiescavol
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aiescavol »

Hi Mrs. Cetta.

I have information, because some my relatives are Squicciarini married Occhiogrosso.

Maria Squicciarini (or Maria Giuseppa) was born in 1861, and married a Giacomo Occhiogrosso. Maria had a sister called Domenica, that married Michele Annoscia.

Maria Squicciarini emigrated in USA, and after emigrated also other her relatives.
If you want more information, you can write me!
Cetta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cetta »

aiescavol,

Maria Squicciarini Occhiogrosso - do you know where she lived in the US?

Your Giacomo Occhiogrosso would have been about the same age as my ggrandfather. I wonder if they had a relative in common???

Cetta
aiescavol
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aiescavol »

HI!

Maria Squicciarini Occhiogrosso I think that lived in Brooklyn or New York.
Maria Squicciarini born in Bitetto, and her parents was Nicola V.zo Squicciarini and Olimpia Loverro.

Maria Squicciarini married GIACOMO OCCHIOGROSSO.
MAria Squicciarini had a sister, Domenica, that married Michele Annoscia. Her daughter, Olimpia Annoscia, married after Peter Squicciarini death in 1943 in Nassau.
Write me if you want more information!!!
Cetta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cetta »

aiescavola,

Do you have more information on Giacomo Occhiogrosso?

Cetta
aiescavol
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aiescavol »

My family Squicciarini is this:
Nicola Vincenzo Squicciarini married Olimpia Loverro in 1859, children:

1) Filippo (1860) - married Nicoletta Lopez in 1885;
2) Maria Giuseppa (1861) - married Giacomo Occhiogrosso in 1881;
3) Domenica (1863) - married Michele Annoscia in n1886;
4) Vito (1865) - married Elisabetta Foggetti in 1890.

Giacomo Occhiogrosso born in Bitetto, and I can go at the centre genealogico of my town for made more research.
Is probably that your grandfather Domenico is the son of Maria Squicciarini and Giacomo Occhiogrosso?
Olimpia Annoscia, nipote of Maria Squicciarini, married Peter Squicciarini and had Pasqua and Pietro.
Cetta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cetta »

aiescavol wrote: Is probably that your grandfather Domenico is the son of Maria Squicciarini and Giacomo Occhiogrosso?
Yes this could very well be!

Maria was born in 1861. She married at 20 years old in 1881. She had my grandfather Domenico in 1903. She was 41 years old.

Not unusual in my family. My aunt had a baby at 41 and my son was born when I was 42. We may have her genes!

The brothers of Domenico were Francesco, Tomaso, Antonio. The sisters were Angelina and Rosina.

I looked at the Ellis Island website and found this:

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0007

Look at line #7. This is Tomaso entering into the US and staying with his cousin Squicciarrini. I cannot read the first name. Can you? Do you know that name?

Edited to add: aescavoli, the one problem is that you said Maria emmigrated to Brooklyn or the NY area. My great grandmother never left Italy.

Later, tonight I am going to call my father's first cousin who is now about 80 years old. I think he might know our affiliation with the Squicciarrini family. I'll let you know. He's in NY so that will be quite late our time.
aiescavol
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aiescavol »

HI!

I not read good, but your family I must find more news for made an good family tree of Occhiogrosso famlily.

I have more news about Squicciarini, because my family is connect also with city Palo del Colle. Infact, Olimpia Loverro, mother of Maria Squicciarini, after re.married Giove of Palo del COlle!
For all information, write me.
Bye. Mike.
Cetta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cetta »

Here is the picture of my grandparent's wedding. I just love it! (I hope it takes, I'm having trouble making it my avatar :? ) I wish it was larger so you could see the detail better.
aiescavol
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aiescavol »

Hi Cetta!
Is a very nice photo!
Cetta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cetta »

Something interesting....

I went back and took a look at the post from Biff where he found my grandfather's ship's manifest.

On page 2, it says he is going to his brother Antonio at 407 7th Avenue and yet what Biff copied is that he is going to stay with his brother Antonio at 149 Throop Avenue, Bklyn, NY.

How could the same record have 2 different addresses at the same time for his brother Toney?

What do you make of that?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Cetta wrote:Something interesting....

I went back and took a look at the post from Biff where he found my grandfather's ship's manifest.

On page 2, it says he is going to his brother Antonio at 407 7th Avenue and yet what Biff copied is that he is going to stay with his brother Antonio at 149 Throop Avenue, Bklyn, NY.

How could the same record have 2 different addresses at the same time for his brother Toney?

What do you make of that?
Hi Cetta!
The 407 7th Ave address belongs to the line above.

This may help, what I do:
I read the first line to see if the name is 1st or the address is 1st for who they are joining
(it's usually the name 1st)
Sometimes I even have to count down the correct number of entries to make sure I have the correct one.
Valarie
Cetta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cetta »

Sorry Val, I don't understand.

Is it a problem with Ancestry?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Cetta wrote:On page 2, it says he is going to his brother Antonio at 407 7th Avenue and yet what Biff copied is that he is going to stay with his brother Antonio at 149 Throop Avenue, Bklyn, NY.
Cetta, I thought you read this off the manifest.
If it's from ancestry, it's a transcription error.
149 Throop Ave is correct
OK? Valarie