Help starting Dual Citizenship process..

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Re: Help starting Dual Citizenship process..

Post by Mulé »

yeah, I realize the FOIA has been replaced with another search form from the genealogy department of the USCIS, the G-1041A Genealogy Records Request. Make a Genealogy Request by Postal Mail

As I understand it, here are your steps:

Step 1. Go to USCIS and fill out the G-1041A form - follow instructions - submit payment

Step 2. When "no records" response arrives:
USCIS Genealogy Department wrote: If you need a certification of non-existence of a naturalization record for the immigrant, write to the following address and include a copy of our response letter we sent at an earlier date.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
ATTN: Records Operation Branch
1200 First Street NE
Washington, D.C. 20529-2204
Anyone have other instructions?
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

I might also submit a new request to get a response from the current G-1041A, just in case my letters don't come back.
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SChiarini »

That's exactly what I sent away for, I filled out the G-1041 A form and sent the money, although they quickly responded, they responded with the wrong thing! I did not receive any letter... just those papers to fill out to replace naturalization papers. I have no idea how they could mix that up? I guess I'll see what happens when I call FOIA tomorrow... :-/
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

Good luck, let me know how it turns out. I will do the same...
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jwazevedo »

SChiarni, Since you've paid your twenty bucks, send them a letter back and restate your request, along with a copy of your receipt or cancelled check as evidence. It sounds as if you've just fallen victim to one careless clerk. An index search takes at least three months, so practice your meditations.

Many people choose to file requests online at:
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 18190aRCRD

But since you've already started a paper request, just hang in there. It'll work out.

Best,
Jerry
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

SChiarini wrote:Thank you! That is what I submitted my request to- I asked them to do a genealogy search for 20$ and in return I received no letter, just a form to fill out to apply for replacement naturalization documents for $360? I don't know where to go from here....
This is what they do if the person for whom you are seeking naturalization documents is still living. In order to obtain copies of his/her own documents, a person must complete this form and pay a fee of $380.

The question is, what lead the USCIS examiner to believe your ancestor is still alive?