Genetti Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Dima
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Genetti Family

Post by Dima »

Here's a cool but rather useless fact. I am from the Hazleton area and many moons ago my Dad was an Assistant Manager at a Genetti's supermarket.
proud to be a coal-miner's grand-daughter
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Don't know if you already have this:

from Ancestry.com:

U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925
about Damiano Genetti
Name: Damiano Genetti
Birth Date: 27 Oct 1857
Birth Place: Trenton (Tyrol), Austria
Residence: Hoyleton, Penna
Passport Issue Date: 28 Mar 1922
Father Name: Leon Genetti
Father's Birth Location: Trentino, Austria
Father's Residence: Deceased
Passport Includes a Photo: Y
Source: Passport Applications, January 2, 1906 - March 31, 1925 (M1490)

image page 1:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVdyr9J

image page 2 with photo:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=TsD_wsr

Laura
LAGenetti

Post by LAGenetti »

pink67 wrote:Don't know if you already have this:

from Ancestry.com:

U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925
about Damiano Genetti
Name: Damiano Genetti
Birth Date: 27 Oct 1857
Birth Place: Trenton (Tyrol), Austria
Residence: Hoyleton, Penna
Passport Issue Date: 28 Mar 1922
Father Name: Leon Genetti
Father's Birth Location: Trentino, Austria
Father's Residence: Deceased
Passport Includes a Photo: Y
Source: Passport Applications, January 2, 1906 - March 31, 1925 (M1490)

image page 1:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVdyr9J

image page 2 with photo:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=TsD_wsr

Laura
Thank you! I'm just starting to do research on Ancestry.com and this was a wonderful find.
LAGenetti

Post by LAGenetti »

Dima wrote:Here's a cool but rather useless fact. I am from the Hazleton area and many moons ago my Dad was an Assistant Manager at a Genetti's supermarket.
Dima - I was also born in Hazleton. My father was Joseph Genetti (one of Damiano's grandsons). My mother was Elsie Voth (daughter of a coal miner!). My parents met as Genetti's Supermarket - my mother worked in the office for Leon Genetti (my grandfather) and my father worked in the family business. My parents left Hazleton in the early 60's when I was very young, so I only have sketchy memories of my family. Any information you can supply about Genetti's would be great. Thanks so much for responding to my request!
Dima
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dima »

What memories I do have are sketchy, but I would be more than glad to share them. Unfortunately my father passed away unexpectedly in 1996 or I would be able to pick his brain.

The supermarket was located on 15th Street in Hazleton. The building itself still stands, and is now another supermarket. I don't recall if I ever met any of your family, but I do know that my father never complained about his job and the employees did seem to get along like family. I remember visiting him at work and I loved doing that.

There was a get together every year referred to as "Genetti's Outing" and as children my brothers and I always looked forward to this. It was a chance for all the employees and their families to get together in a social setting. I remember corn on the cob and watermelon and steamed clams!
There were egg tossing contests and pony rides for the children. And there was dancing and dance contests.

My fondest memory was a particular twist contest.....all the contestants were adults, except for my brother and the daughter of another employee.....they must have been about 9 at the time. They were by no means the best...but they were certainly the cutest...and they won! LOL

And awww..I had the worst crush on a stockboy. This was quite a walk down memory lane for me...and I wish I could tell you more. If you have any particular question though, I will do my best to answer them!
LAGenetti

Post by LAGenetti »

Thank you! What wonderful memories. Do you know what years your father worked at Genetti's?

My father was there during the mid-50s to the early 60s. I was born in 1957, so I remember very little of this time. We lived on Laurel St. in West Hazleton. Did you ever visit the Tyrolean Room? My great-uncle Stanley Genetti ran this restaurant and I do remember being thrilled as a little girl when the organ player let me sit next to him on the bench while he played. I have a few snapshots from the Genetti markets and the Tyrolean Room, but I'm afraid this is all I have. That's why I have found it so fascinating to research my ancestory. I love how helpful everyone is in this forum. Thank you once again for sharing your thoughts. I hope to visit Hazleton again one day to research my roots.

Just as a side note - my grandmother was a Marchetti and also from the Hazleton area. I haven't even begun looking into her family!
Dima
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dima »

My dad worked there from the late 50's to it's closing. I don't think I ever visited the Tyrolean room. But I did remember something else. I remember that the supermarket used to do giveaway's if you spent so much in the store. Naturally, that is where we bought our groceries and I remember collecting books from one of the giveaways. My dad ended up with the bookcase that the books were displayed on. I still have that bookcase!
LAGenetti

Post by LAGenetti »

Your dad may have worked with my father! Isn't this such a small world! Unfortunately both of my parents are deceased - so there's no way to check.

Thank you so much for sharing your memories! Maybe one day I'll get back to Hazleton to do a little in-person research on my ancestors.